NJ thousands of dead fish killed by marine algee ?

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't algae. There were so many of them that they smothered themselves and died from oxygen deprivation.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sad. :(

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happens up and down the Chesapeake. Bad algae blooms create dead oxygen zones

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it possible for ocean to have no oxygen the water is always moving what algee is sucking oxygen dry do they have a name for it I never heard bs like that before

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chesapeake is a tributary, not open ocean. The water is tidal but still has algae blooms. A lot of the problem is rain water run off.
Try googling Chesapeake bay fish kill, but I don't remember which particular algae it is.

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red tide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another theory of what happened here is that so many of the fish (bunker in this case) were packed
Together the oxygen was depleted from the water.[/QUO

u posted about dinoflakes we all have it in the fishtanks fish don't die from it plus I was in NJ last week in Belmar and the water ain't Red so there was no red killer algee anywhere water was straight blue

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was linking something similar to what happened. It actually says an "algal" bloom. Dino's are one type of
This algal bloom. You said you never heard of something like this so I was just linking to something similar to show it is a known event. I'm looking at the ocean from my house in jersey now, it looks fine from here but who's to say a few miles out or a few miles left or right there's not something going on?

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was in shock that the news came out and said fish died from no oxygen same day they found the fish they didn't have enough time to get test results back from lab and yet killer algee did it no one seen any and that's the whole story .. what happen to the algee it killed the fish end left ?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest info I have seen is leaning towards too many fish in one area. The unusually large school of bunker was chase and corralled into a small area by a big school of bluefish mixed with some stripers. A few old time fisherman said that this happens every so often. Here's the article I'm referencing if you want to take a look
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...sh-died-overnight-in-new-jerseys-shark-river/

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest info I have seen is leaning towards too many fish in one area. The unusually large school of bunker was chase and corralled into a small area by a big school of bluefish mixed with some stripers. A few old time fisherman said that this happens every so often. Here's the article I'm referencing if you want to take a look
Why Thousands of Fish Died Overnight in New Jersey?s Shark River | Video | TheBlaze.com

Thanks this story makes a lil more sence still weird at least we know there was no unseen killer algee from BBC news

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's sad. I would have thought because the ocean is so huge the oxygen depleted areas would have quickly been swept away with the tides and new oxygen rich water replacing it... I guess that doesn't happen as quickly as I assumed it would.

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's sad. I would have thought because the ocean is so huge the oxygen depleted areas would have quickly been swept away with the tides and new oxygen rich water replacing it... I guess that doesn't happen as quickly as I assumed it would.

That's the TV talking stupid they didn't even test the fish yet but they know they died from no oxygen I think its impossible for fish to run out of air when the ocean makes most of the oxygen we breathing

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the TV talking stupid they didn't even test the fish yet but they know they died from no oxygen I think its impossible for fish to run out of air when the ocean makes most of the oxygen we breathing

Care to elaborate on that?
My understanding is the ocean depletes atmospheric oxygen (much like our tanks, hence the need for surface agitation to keep things "oxygenated") and it was forest land that absorbs carbon dioxide and converts it to the oxygen we all know and love.

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its 50/50.
Source of Half Earth's Oxygen Gets Little Credit[/QUOTE

Plankton makes oxygen so it can't be blamed for fish running out of air I read someplace that PB after that oil spil dumped chemicals to clean it up or sink it to the bottom not sure how that played out but it got cleaned up to fast and they paid bilions to restore the ocean and everything they polluted that didn't happen because it was just enough $ to pay the lawyers or it was enough $ to do both but lawyers went home with the whole pay out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back