1713920315599.png
yes two different fish...

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had one tang per tank no matter how big my tank was.
From all I know keep same shape away from each other.
I knew a guy who had 5 yellow tangs in a 200 but he added all of them at once when little.
I got 6 in the 300 at right now...

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are def different- that’s why I was saying a lot of LFS and online mis-identify. When they are that juvenile, takes an experienced, keen eye - which I don’t have. lol
I called the LFS and they said it was just listed as mimic tang and didn't have the scientific name...:face-with-rolling-eyes:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the LFS and they said it was just listed as mimic tang and didn't have the scientific name...:face-with-rolling-eyes:
Ahhh, “listed” from where? Overseas? They should absolutely know and your LFS should demand to know before purchasing.

Sometimes a “deal” is not a deal.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get a picture? Mimic is likely the Acanthurus Pyro.

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a picture? Mimic is likely the Acanthurus Pyro.
I will this afternoon and I just got an email from reef beauties that the Lavender Tang and one of the wrasse are not up to their shipping standards so I will look tonight when the site updates and choose replacements.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will this afternoon and I just got an email from reef beauties that the Lavender Tang and one of the wrasse are not up to their shipping standards so I will look tonight when the site updates and choose replacements.
Amanda, if you really love a particular fish, maybe wait and see if you can find it instead of just replacing. There are some good online vendors if you haven’t found a consistently good saltwater LFS within driving distance. I believe the team here can give you some online vendors. They may not be the cheapest, but their QT and conditioning practices will reflect that.

I just want you to have the most success with healthy, thriving fish that you are really excited about.

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amanda, if you really love a particular fish, maybe wait and see if you can find it instead of just replacing. There are some good online vendors if you haven’t found a consistently good saltwater LFS within driving distance. I believe the team here can give you some online vendors. They may not be the cheapest, but their QT and conditioning practices will reflect that.

I just want you to have the most success with healthy, thriving fish that you are really excited about.
I have a list of fish I like and don't have my heart set on any certain fish other than a tailspot blenny. I got a text from the LFS and when they went to feed the fish the mimic tang had died over night so I guess it's good I didn't get it last night. I don't think I'm going to go there for any saltwater fish as they can't seem to keep them alive so they must not be using a good supplier. There is another place that I have heard local salties talk about that they all say is amazing with good quality fish so I might check them out or I will just stick to ordering online. I have read good stuff about reef beauties and I like that they have a 15 day guarantee my lfs has no guarantee.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a list of fish I like and don't have my heart set on any certain fish other than a tailspot blenny. I got a text from the LFS and when they went to feed the fish the mimic tang had died over night so I guess it's good I didn't get it last night. I don't think I'm going to go there for any saltwater fish as they can't seem to keep them alive so they must not be using a good supplier. There is another place that I have heard local salties talk about that they all say is amazing with good quality fish so I might check them out or I will just stick to ordering online. I have read good stuff about reef beauties and I like that they have a 15 day guarantee my lfs has no guarantee.
That’s great you have the local salty pipeline! Use them!

And yeah, not good on LFS supplier. Glad you’ll go elsewhere.

15 day guarantee is amazing. When I receive corals from online, I video entire unboxing process and email them as soon as I physically receive. I email them photos of any issues or things I’m unsure of within an hour of unboxing and before I dip.

Recommend you do the same for fish. Read vendors DOA policy and gaurentee policy carefully- there is no standard verbiage and some are quite restrictive once you read it carefully. I’m mostly talking about small vendors; the big ones seem to be clearer, but I still photo document everything.

This hobby is too expensive and it’s just not like returning shoes at Nordstrom - lol. I miss shoes. Lol.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

15 day guarantee is amazing. When I receive corals from online, I video entire unboxing process and email them as soon as I physically receive. I email them photos of any issues or things I’m unsure of within an hour of unboxing and before I dip.

Recommend you do the same for fish. Read vendors DOA policy and gaurentee policy carefully- there is no standard verbiage and some are quite restrictive once you read it carefully. I’m mostly talking about small vendors; the big ones seem to be clearer, but I still photo document everything.

This hobby is too expensive and it’s just not like returning shoes at Nordstrom - lol. I miss shoes. Lol.
And thank goodness you said Tailspot Blenny! Otherwise Katrina and Kev would send the men in black to your door

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kipp's Corals , how is your tank doing this morning?
I am still at work :/ "perks" of being a medic is 24 hour runs.

I have a camera set up and fish seem okay, can't tell how my inverts are holding up. My plan when I get out in a few hours is to test the alk again to see if it went up even more or is decreasing. ill do a 30% or so water change to help dilute but not to much to continue the cycle. I have more doctor Tims so I'll redose after.

I had a qt tank set up but didn't maintain the evaporation so it's been sitting for a few weeks since I turned over the filter when it went to low. I might set that back up in the event the livestock seem a bit off.

ill have a night of work ahead of me, the wife got mandated so luckily ill be able to focus on this for a while.

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my area I really only have two options for "same day, no shipping" Eddies Aquarium & Petco. Im nervous about PETCO but my particular one does seem clean but still I feel like it's a bigger risk. I haven't done any research on if people use petco as an option or if it's a 100% must avoid situation. anyone have comments about this?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to send a virtual champagne toast to our two Smorgasbord Ladies; Katrina and Amanda, for not only persevering during difficult times, but blowing potential employers out of the park, and getting offers wherever they went!

May will be a most auspicious month!

Chad from Ventura is waiting!

@Katrina71 @Calmwaters

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 9

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my area I really only have two options for "same day, no shipping" Eddies Aquarium & Petco. Im nervous about PETCO but my particular one does seem clean but still I feel like it's a bigger risk. I haven't done any research on if people use petco as an option or if it's a 100% must avoid situation. anyone have comments about this?
I have gotten lots of fish over the years from there and I bought several of my saltwater fish I had from them and they were all good.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen quite a few veteran reefers here on R2R who do use a local Petco - but that’s based on how that store runs the department- hit or miss. Some have various QT tanks at home and are willing to take sickly fish as the price is just too good. They have the time and experience to try and get the fish back to health.

Again, every Petco is different. The Smorgasbord veterans have Petco experience I believe

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have is from petco.
Never had an issue with mine doesn't mean they're all managed the same but mine is the bomb.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back