00W's AIO Smorgasbord

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have is from petco.
Never had an issue with mine doesn't mean they're all managed the same but mine is the bomb.
And you have an awesome fish selection.

Kipp, you’re going to have to check out a couple Petcos in your area for comparison. Ask for the employee who runs the department and ask questions only a saltwater person would know. I bet you’ll find one that is good. It’s always so much better to have local vs. shipped whenever you can.

I just realized I’m typing this like you’re a newbie and I’m the veteran- lol. Switch that and reverse that. I’m a newbie that writes like I’m still at corporate- can’t help it.

You got,this

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still at work :/ "perks" of being a medic is 24 hour runs.

I have a camera set up and fish seem okay, can't tell how my inverts are holding up. My plan when I get out in a few hours is to test the alk again to see if it went up even more or is decreasing. ill do a 30% or so water change to help dilute but not to much to continue the cycle. I have more doctor Tims so I'll redose after.

I had a qt tank set up but didn't maintain the evaporation so it's been sitting for a few weeks since I turned over the filter when it went to low. I might set that back up in the event the livestock seem a bit off.

ill have a night of work ahead of me, the wife got mandated so luckily ill be able to focus on this for a while.
Sounds like so far so good, keep us updated.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to send a virtual champagne toast to our two Smorgasbord Ladies; Katrina and Amanda, for not only persevering during difficult times, but blowing potential employers out of the park, and getting offers wherever they went!

May will be a most auspicious month!

Chad from Ventura is waiting!

@Katrina71 @Calmwaters
Ok, I did mean the toast in earnest - Chad is just for effect - everyone always send the Leonardo DiCaprio toast photo - boring. Chad is ready to surf those bubbles!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen quite a few veteran reefers here on R2R who do use a local Petco - but that’s based on how that store runs the department- hit or miss. Some have various QT tanks at home and are willing to take sickly fish as the price is just too good. They have the time and experience to try and get the fish back to health.

Again, every Petco is different. The Smorgasbord veterans have Petco experience I believe
No, Petco’s in my area but I have read many times, although Franchises, each is run differently just like our non franchise lfs. One could have their reptile guy helping you who knows nothing about saltwater but could tell you in detail the best diet, humidity and temperature for a leopard gecko. Another with a very seasoned saltwater guy who keeps the tanks and livestock pristine.

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you have an awesome fish selection.

Kipp, you’re going to have to check out a couple Petcos in your area for comparison. Ask for the employee who runs the department and ask questions only a saltwater person would know. I bet you’ll find one that is good. It’s always so much better to have local vs. shipped whenever you can.

I just realized I’m typing this like you’re a newbie and I’m the veteran- lol. Switch that and reverse that. I’m a newbie that writes like I’m still at corporate- can’t help it.

You got,this
hahahha! its great advice! its the little things that we don't think of. im far from a veteran lol! we each probably have strengths and weakness when comparing our knowledge level. thats why I cross post on my reef thread and here!

its like being a board member. Everyone motions, yay or nay!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And thank goodness you said Tailspot Blenny! Otherwise Katrina and Kev would send the men in black to your door
will smith mib GIF

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve seen quite a few veteran reefers here on R2R who do use a local Petco - but that’s based on how that store runs the department- hit or miss. Some have various QT tanks at home and are willing to take sickly fish as the price is just too good. They have the time and experience to try and get the fish back to health.

Again, every Petco is different. The Smorgasbord veterans have Petco experience I believe
How dare you refer to me as a veteran reef keeper...

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, I did mean the toast in earnest - Chad is just for effect - everyone always send the Leonardo DiCaprio toast photo - boring. Chad is ready to surf those bubbles!
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, Petco’s in my area but I have read many times, although Franchises, each is run differently just like our non franchise lfs. One could have their reptile guy helping you who knows nothing about saltwater but could tell you in detail the best diet, humidity and temperature for a leopard gecko. Another with a very seasoned saltwater guy who keeps the tanks and livestock pristine.
And then there's me that goes in and says, "How much for that Scarlett Reef Hermit?"
Them: "Oh, that big red leg hermit?"
Me: "Yep."
Them: "Red legs are $1.99."
Me: "Perfect, I'll take all 5. How much for that Trochus?"
Them: "The cerith?"
Me: "I'll take it."
Them: "Don't you want to know how much it is?"
Me: "Nope, bag it up please."

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then there's me that goes in and says, "How much for that Scarlett Reef Hermit?"
Them: "Oh, that big red leg hermit?"
Me: "Yep."
Them: "Red legs are $1.99."
Me: "Perfect, I'll take all 5. How much for that Trochus?"
Them: "The cerith?"
Me: "I'll take it."
Them: "Don't you want to know how much it is?"
Me: "Nope, bag it up please."
Yep!! :cool:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay everyone, good news.

Retested before doing a water change.

dKh: 8.7
Ph: 8.1

Left lights on accidentally and a nice diatom bloom occurred. This is a sign of a good thing right?
Yay! User error on the alkalinity test. Always always always retest if you get an odd read like that.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good day so far. Vendor took me and some friends at the conference out for lunch. Won a 55" TV after that (not really, the vendor just didn't want to lug it to his car and called me when I walked past his booth). Also won a set of Titleist Pro V1 golf balls (that ones for real). Now my wife and I are getting ready to head back for steak dinner with another vendor.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day so far. Vendor took me and some friends at the conference out for lunch. Won a 55" TV after that (not really, the vendor just didn't want to lug it to his car and called me when I walked past his booth). Also won a set of Titleist Pro V1 golf balls (that ones for real). Now my wife and I are getting ready to head back for steak dinner with another vendor.
That sounds wonderful. Enjoy the steak.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was everyone's Wednesday? Beautiful sunset tonight!

20240424_194935.jpg
Wow, beautiful Walker! Got home late, I had 2 people walk in at 6:55 but off tomorrow so no biggie. My Gaurdians ended their 5 game winning streak. :crying-face:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back