OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my water test results back from AWT.com today sent out on 12/23. This was the first time I sent out samples the same day I performed a water change (samples taken prior). It looks like the SPS corals are soaking up Ca faster than my water changes are replenishing. I plan to begin dosing small quantities between changes but am not quite ready to hook up the calcium reactor. On a bright note, just about every test came back in range!!

Note: Ca is lower than preferred at 370 while Ionic Calcium is higher than desired at 338. Anyone have any feedback on whether or not I should be dosing Ca in this case?

AWT Results 12.23.13.jpg

Comparison 12.26.13.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is definitely all starting to make sense to me, since my previous samples were sent out:

- I had limited the use of a Poly-Filter (rise in Copper and Silica)
- I also changed my RO unit filters (Carbon and Mechanical) sensing that was an issue
- I began dosing Kalkwasser (Normal Ca, Sr, Mg levels returned and Alk increased)

Test Results 01.30.14.jpg

Graph.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the Radion Pro Intensity Discussion: I have been constantly working backwards I feel reducing the intensity of this fixture. My tank is not the largest being 20" deep with actual water depth closer to 18". My latest adjustment was from 20% to 15% on the traditional reef setting. For the first time the SPS corals near the surface and those in the substrate are both showing great color and extension!! I now feel like I was crazy when I had the Pro blazing at 75% when it was first installed.

Anyway, if anyone else purchases one or is having issues in a smaller tank (i.e. <40 gallons) might be worth a try to dial it wayyyyyyy down.

Travt2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks really good. Are you finding the Radion to be a bit much for the tank or is it something you would recommend?

Travt2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to ask if the Radion light is something you would recommend for a 30-40 gallon tank, not just in general.

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of the Radion' are suitable for a smaller reef tank as long as they are programmed appropriately. I have read numerous stories regarding people running them at 100% intensity a bleaching out their coral gardens. The smart play is to start low an increase intensity slowly over time, or leave it down low. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

Snook65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I love Lifereef products, having run Jeff's LF1-125 for over a decade with his protein skimmer, calcium reactor, etc. I have one of his float switches, but did not think he was making them anymore?

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank.
I agree about the Lifereef stuff. I have a VS24 skimmer and sump and I love them both.

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much!!

Speaking of LifeReef Skimmers, they are very powerful/efficient. When I came home from work today I opened up a couple of fish books I have read a dozen times each, and made a decision to move more towards the Berlin System. I don't run a very sophisticated filtration system, so all that really means is I pulled the carbon sack from the back out. My tank will now rely on LR, the skimmer, and frequent water changes to maintain quality (plus Kalk via ATO). I sent out water samples to AWT.com yesterday, so I will have a full 11 parameter analysis to compare in another month to see what changes, if anything.

The idea here for me is the theory that carbon soaks up some trace elements beneficial to my SPS, and at the same time is almost unnecessary when combined with my already frequent/weekly water changes. We shall see once the tests return, and literally see if there are any noticeable changes in the tank (be it positive or negative).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back