OP
OP

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's the overflow and holds the four returns. Thanks for the compliments. Yes I'm happy with the lights. Several times I thought about cutting corners and doing something simpler but it did turn out looking good.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorite tank setups I have seen. I love that it has it's own room with just chairs for viewing. Beautiful tank!

Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! I have wanted to build a 6 foot cube for some time now, this is an inspiration for me to get it done. Class act to follow, great job!!!

OP
OP

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the compliments, its getting there. With large fish nutrients are a constant issue. Working on it from multiple fronts to get it under control.

OP
OP

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
535Gal WOW....
Thing must weigh a ton... Any supporting issues?

several tons actually. put in several piers and a large cross truss in the crawlspace. Our house is a 100years old with old (and hard) pine floors. Made sure to address the weight before the tank went in.

shallowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart thinking with the supports in the floor. That was the only question had when I saw this. Other than that this is a setup i would love to replicate.....and have a dedicated room such as you have done. I've also looked into cylinder tanks with similar volume but they cost an arm and a leg more. It's ridiculous the price difference for curved glass. Hey tank looks fantastic man. Keep it up. This is what I love about this hobby. **** it looks like you can almost charge people to come in and observe for few....lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! We need an update.

OP
OP

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well, but I have learned what does well and what doesnt. Corals I'm very limited due to large fish and high nutrient problems. I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at it but cant get them down enough to keep everything. Mostly softies and shrooms, little LPS and some gorgonians and lots of anemones. Would like to be able to keep everything but the fish have always been the stars to me. Dont get me wrong I love my corals and inverts and dont want to go back to FO but the fish are more important to me. I'll never go back to dead rock and just fish but I have to find a balance in what I have and dont want to part with (my big tangs that I've had a long time) and what will thrive and do well. SPS, forget it. Not happening and I'm ok with that. Know there are lots of folks who will label me as a hack or maybe just a newb because of my lack of certain corals and I dont necessarily disagree with them, but I'm not getting rid of my two big tangs so I can keep hard corals. The tank is only a year old so its young still. Things will change and evolve as the years go on.

OP
OP

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R. Havent been on here in a LONG time. So, here's an update. I've completed a re-boot over the summer and fall and have things turned back around. Long story short but life got in the way, busy at work, combined with incorrect math on my part and the gradual decline of my LED's, all this led to a 48month very slow regression of my tank in general. In fact I lost nearly all my corals and micro-fauna. I understand through many years that there is sometimes too much information out there that tends to muddy the water to the point where too much money can be spent and confusion can prevail. Replaced lighting, ditched some equipment, simplified the system, and considerably ramped up my maintenance regimen, and my tank is now doing well again. Time will tell, but its been since the end of August since ver2 launched and so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_205307797_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201014_205307797_HDR.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 37

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same way with my 240g. I will have Zoas/Nems/shrooms/softies in there, but I got it so that I could have bigger fish (Tangs, Angels, etc). Too much effort to keep SPS, so not even going to try and don't care what others think. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back