? About trying to select a reef tank

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer but many people use the tunze 9002 with the intank skimmer cup to make it fit with the lid. Here is some advice for you. If you use the tunze skimmer it only fits in the middle chamber which is important to keep the water level consistant since this chamber will fluctaute. You can mod the aquaticlife 115 to fit chamber 1 which the water level is always consistant. Another bit of advice is to ignore the min/max fill lines found on the little side window for chamber 3 where the return pump is located. Fill the back section up until the water is level with the top rack on your media basket. You most likely will have temp problems with the power compacts in the hood. When I had that problem I removed the back lid and the front lid on the canopy and placed a fan blowing across the surface to keep the temps down. Also sorry for taking so long to respond but my preference with the rapidleds kit is just that, a preference I have nothing negative to say about either steve's or rapids kits or customer service. Yeah Steves has the blower but you can still use the stock fans on the rapid or upgrade them as well. Feel free to ask any questions I bought my biocube in feb and have done lots of research on the system. They are nice tanks. I do not recommend the overpriced flimsy stand they sale for it. Seems to me for the price you could find something stronger and better made.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of other skimmers that fit In chamber one? I'm the kind of person that likes options.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know if a eshopps nano skimmer will fit in chamber 1 of biocube 29?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i recall right it does not fit. definately do not use the coralife biocube skimmer not efficient. I would just google skimmers for biocube I know there are a few. I think that new ghost skimmer fits not sure about performance. Sorry not much more help on that. Man people will also sa you don't need a skimmer just do weekly water changes. I do both.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really that much has changed in 4 years...which is why the Biocube quickly rose as a suggestion. :)

If all-in-one designs are attractive, I'd consider a regular tank with a Tunze Reef Pack (skimmer+filter/reactor+heater hideout...may also house the ATO sensor). It's pretty slick, takes up less space than a reef-ready overflow and eliminates the need for a wall in the tank. They make a couple sizes of Reef Pack last time I checked. (Tunze has a vendor forum here on R2R if you wanna ask about particulars.)

-Matt

cmac330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0590[1].jpg

This is an early shot of my marineland 60g cube lit by a single Kessil A350W (Now has nems LPS and a few SPS). I believe you should be able to find tank and stand for just under $500 now and the newer version of this Kessil is $400 (best LED IMO). My problem with these setups is a decent sump is hard to find. Trigger systems makes an 18" x 18" designed specifically for 60 cubes (this is the sump I have) but they are pricey and I still feel like my equipment is crammed in.

IMG_1079[1].jpg

Personally I don't like trying to maintain a moderate flow system in this cube because it is difficult to distribute flow evenly (went with adjustable but non-controllable tunze powerheads) and there end up either being dead spots or high flow spots.

All-in-all it can be a sweet setup and having had a JBJ all-in-one 28g cube I would definitely go with 60. Personally, I am actually switching over to a longer more shallow custom tank and selling off my 60 just because it doesn't really work for my needs.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The traditional Tunze nanostrerams are gears for a targeted flow....which can be handy, but is not the greatest for all cube tanks. The adjustable one is ideal for 4' long tanks when at its max setting. Sounds like you may need one or two more (smaller) flow-sources with this strategy.

Check out their latest nanostreams just introduced at Interzoo this year. Brand new design and the smaller one is only $43 list price and the flow character should be just what you need. The bigger one is controllable and I think only $140 or so IIRC.

-Matt

P.S. Can you post some pics to show the layout of your current pumps in your tank? (Can't see much at all in the pic above.)

Last edited:

newatsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin Pan has a Aquamaxx HOB 1 in chamber one of his biocube. They are a bit costly ($215), but he says it is a beast. I requested a picture of the skimmer and it can be seen the September Reef 2 Reef spotlight. I was inquiring about a skimmer also, but I am also unsure of what to use. I, myself have been looking at the Tunze 9001. I believe with that particular skimmer, water level isn't a issue, but you still have to fill up the back chamber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back