? About trying to select a reef tank

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a sc aquarium 50g cube pnp? It comes with star fire cube tank, stand, sump, skimmer and return pump for around $680. Pretty much everything except light and heater.

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, seems to be pretty decent. There Are a few things I would change though, like make the over flow a dual drain and have the return come from behind the tank. From some reviews it looks like the return pump is really powerful so it cod be split off to run a reactor. Skimmer is okay. Seems to be quiet once you dial it in right. But it looks really nice, scaquariums.com, but you can buy it off amazon or eBay. Thinking of picking one up myself.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a list of things that would make a 60 cube good. Mainly lights I think I would use ESHOPPS sump and skimmer?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with one of those reefbreeder lights if the cube is hopeless. I have read a lot of people love them and the price is right.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do the 60 was going to build a canopy and put the lights in it.

Redseadragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love biocubes because they give you time to decide if you really want to do this before you move on up.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I bought my biocube. But now that I have one I have upgraded most everything on it and realize I could have got a bigger tank cheaper. I still like the biocube though

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking for advice on the 60 cube, if I get it and put the eshoops 75 sump and biggest eshopps skimmer that will fit in the sump will that be fine? If I get the eshopps 100 I can get the next size up skimmer. Give me thoughts on that because that will determine how big the stand is.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have a biocube 29 the coralife version and love it. Here are some recommended upgrades to give you an idea. First like everyone says get rid of the bioballs. I run a aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer in chamber one works good no complaints. In the middle chamber I bought the intank media basket and refuge basket. I use chemipure blue in the bottom chamber on the media basket with purigen in the middle chamber and filter floss on the top chamber to polish the water. In the 3rd chamber I use a cobalt 100w heater and I upgraded the return pump to a rio 6hf. The rio puts out 350gph as opposed to the 264 stock pump. I personally do not like the steve's led retro kit and prefer the rapidled retro kit instead, both kits install in the hood nicely just rapidled is my preference. I also use 2 koralia 450 circulation pumps in my display for flow. This is how mine is set-up and I have no complaints or problems with flow or nutrients.
Why are the rapidled your choice, from the looking ive done steves looks like it has better fans.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's personal opinion. Both are vey good. Google reviews for both lights and it will give you the pros and cons.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure i'm going to get the biocube this weekend. I hope it will keep me satisfied for a while. First upgrades will be the intank basket, probably run the rest stock for a while unless someone has any more advise for me. Thanks for all the help

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be happy with the biocube, it is really nice. You can still keep coral under the stock biocube lighting.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the biocube going to get the intank media basket so what's the best skimmer to get that will fit with it, I only want to buy once. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back