AfamousJ's DIY 40g breeder 4 chamber sump build

Ryans85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice design curious to see how EPDM works out. Makes me wanna redo my sump please keep updated.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a documented build for sure - now seeing the lack of input on the process makes me want to try it even more. 316 views and a couple comments. Always makes you wonder what's going on.?.

My biggest problem here is I am taking my FT off line and adding it to my sump space which is fine but I frag a lot and am trying to "cut back" - no pun intended.lol so I seem to need a lot of off side growing out space. It will take some time getting used to new confined space also.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd tee off the drain line instead of the return line for the frag section. After the filter socks and skimming, there won't be much left in the water column to feed the frags. If you aren't going to run filter socks all the time, it shouldn't be an issue.

For the flow into the filter socks, are you drilling the barrel and installing bulkheads with elbows? I can't tell, but that is what I got from the drawing.
I would set the barrel height to where you want the sock height then build an L piece where the socks sit in the base of the L (I'm on my phone and have limited access, I'll try to remember to find a link or draw something to explain it better when I have internet access). Basically, the water overflows the return section into a little subsection that holds the filter socks, which are suspended in the skimmer section.
I could see an overflow issue if the pipes for the socks get clogged, if that is how they are actually set up.

The EPDM sounds like an interesting idea. Have you done any research on EPDM environmental toxicity, leaching, or long term stability? Those would be my major concerns. Nothing might show up in the short term, but you never know. I don't really know anything about EPDM. It does look like a pretty awesome solution though.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I had thought about that but I want to keep the chambers as clean as possible. I will have snails, a small wrasse, and prolly a salt water mollie in there for CUC so I imagine there will be bio load.

Yes on sock - plan on putting in a bulk head with elbow. I plan on putting chamber failsafe overflows on both water level baffles in case of clogging. I have a hang on the edge sock holder so was just planning on making a slot holder out of acrylic on the baffle wall under the bulkhead drain and just slide the sock holder into it and have drain down into sock. Will keep it removable and easy to change out. Having it suspended in the skimmer chamber.

I have tried finding things on the epdm but not a lot coming up. People have used it and do. Heard if you dont get the premium brand that saltwater can wear it down, but doesn't it wear everything down.lol You would think the rubber itself would be fine as many things in the system utilize rubber and I know of sweet ponds made from tires.lol Would think the addhesive would be the concern???

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I'll be watching how the EPDM works out.

I do have a question about the drain section. Is the benefit to get to the socks easier? Stable water level in the skimmer section during power-out?
I'm just curious. If that's how the pros are doing it, they are doing it for a reason, not just for the fun of adding another baffle... At least, I wouldn't' think! ha

I will enjoy watching this build, that's for sure!!

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha - ya that section seems to serve a purpose. In my current tank I use a sort of diy bubble blaster to cut out bubbles turbulence n junk. The way I see it is the drains will be free flow into the chamber keeping most of the gunk there for periodic easy cleaning Also giving me more time between sock changes.lol. I also plan on using removable acrylic on top to make it a sum what sealed chamber with a drain and safety overflow - feel it will keep any heavy drain noise contained. Just seemed to see in professional sump designs utilizing a drain entrance area like this that overflowed into socks. Figured i'd follow.lol definitely excited to get into it and see what happens.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I noticed with my current set up is I get surge fluctuations changing my return level and messing with my ato - I hope this will contain any drain change surges.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha - ya that section seems to serve a purpose. In my current tank I use a sort of diy bubble blaster to cut out bubbles turbulence n junk. The way I see it is the drains will be free flow into the chamber keeping most of the gunk there for periodic easy cleaning Also giving me more time between sock changes.lol. I also plan on using removable acrylic on top to make it a sum what sealed chamber with a drain and safety overflow - feel it will keep any heavy drain noise contained. Just seemed to see in professional sump designs utilizing a drain entrance area like this that overflowed into socks. Figured i'd follow.lol definitely excited to get into it and see what happens.

Ahh, ok, I'm with you. It does make sense to keep splashing/sloshing/bubbling saltwater to a min and that will reduce salt creep and make a cleaner setup. And overall quieter, that is everyone's dream!

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always hate this part of the project. Measured out everything and just wanted to put what I got here in case someone can give me advice on something I am overlooking or missing or change of measurement needed.

I am adding a 1/8" thick piece of blue acrylic to back glass pane "in" sump to help accent the painting I did on that pane while being viewed from the room. So hence I took off 1/8" from all my baffles front to back measurements to accomidate.

Here are the measurements I got.

Also using acrylic for baffles and this is a glass tank so I took an additional 1/4"(1/8" off each side of baffles for expansion gap) + 1/8" off for blue added acrylic = 3/8" off each true measurement taken for baffles front to back

True measurements - 36" x 18" x 17"
inner measurements - 1/2" off for side glass 35 1/2 x 17 1/2" (so glad I put this up here - already made a mistake had it listed as 35 5/8 x 17 5/8)
inner hieght - 15 5/8"

So that being said figure my cuts will be this
blue acrylic (for entire back pane glass) - 1/8" thick - 35 1/4" x 15 3/8"

Baffles - all will be 3/16" thick
front to back - 17 1/8"
so my cuts will be this
15 x 17 1/8"
14 x 17 1/8"
13 x 17 1/8"
12 x 17 1/8"
11 x 17 1/8"

making baffles high and will be etching in water level drains

How does it look - see anything I am missing? found 2 mistakes while writing this so they could be there.lol Any help appreciated and if you have measurements from a 40b sump you made maybe post those up to.

Just trying to get someone not so close to the project - to take a look for a different view on things

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting in the backing panel of blue acrylic to go behind the painted design and hide equipment from room view.
20150519_123417.jpg
20150519_125744.jpg

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been working on this a bit lately.... It's actually curing but heres some pics from along the way.
Steered away from the epdm due to just no findings but will be messing around with it in a setup that is not my main lol.
20150617_175730.jpg
20150617_175730.jpg
20150617_221925.jpg
20150618_183045.jpg

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the over flow sock holder all set up. Need a smaller sock lol. That happened so many times during this. Getting the experience right after I needed it :)
20150617_095947.jpg
20150617_100000.jpg

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
such a messy job. Lots I prolly need to update here. Changed a few ideas, cuts, and it's now 5 chambers. Lol.
20150618_224730.jpg
20150618_224712.jpg
20150618_224803.jpg
20150618_224741.jpg

Got the decorated baffles set now do they hold water.......

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to put in the rest of the baffles
20150619_190921.jpg
to make my equipment and return chambers
20150619_190844.jpg
20150619_190849.jpg
20150619_190855.jpg
20150619_190903.jpg

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the divider for the last chamber and got it in - worked perfect.
20150619_204408.jpg
Which will be for coral qt and for my dragon breathe macro.
20150619_204400.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back