Air in dosing lines

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got hold of a used KH director and have been using it for a couple of months now, it seems to be working fine but I have noticed that in the line for the sample water always seems to have large air bubble in it.

I assume this is going to affect the accuracy so wanted to get rid of them but I cant see where they are coming from, would a worn dosing head allow the water back siphon back into the sump? Would there be any issue adding a none return valve to stop the siphon?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last action of the KH director is to empty the sample tube. After an analyse is the sample tube total empty - including the filter - no water - only air. When a new analyse start - pump 1 (sample tube) fill up the sample line and a part of the sample chamber. Next step is that pump 2 empty the sample chamber and after that pump 1 fill the chamber to the decided volume. In this way - its always guaranteed fresh samples. This means that you can sometimes see air in both pumps (1 and 2) suction tube

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use a none return valve to the sample tube. It should be empty after an analyse

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse. I do see air in the lines on the second fill of the chamber and to be honest its quite a lot, the air bubbles are about 10mm (1/2 inch) in length and are continually going through.

I will double check the length of the sample pipe and recalibrate the pumps just in case its pulling the correct amount through on the first pass

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a filter in the sample tube line - activate add filter volume. I also measure the sample input tube and add the length of the pump tube (normally around 11) cm and also add the length of the tube between the pump and the KH director. When I get a steady result I do a test with my alternative methods (Hanna and Salifert) and - if necessary use the percent calibration

1703874711716.png

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back