Dosing for Nano Tank

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 20 gallon Innovative Marine AIO that I have been trying to setup for automated dosing of All for Reef. I picked up a used Kamoer F1 that had a few issues so I replaced the head and still was dealing with siphon issues. So I decided to get a Versa so I would not have to tinker with it any longer. The Versa still has issues with my situation. I only need to dose 2-3 ml daily at the moment to maintain my Alk and Cal. The issue I am running into is that I am either battling a back siphon issues on two brand new versa pump (the one I bought and the one ecotech sent out as a replacment when I contacted them) or an evaporation issue. When I calibrate the pump its spot on and I make note of the water line in the tube on the outlet hose on the tank. When I check 24 hours later before my next dose that line has creeped back towards the pump so my dose is somewhere between .5 and 1ml short. I have posted this question a few places thinking it may be my pump and gone through tons of troubleshooting steps

Replaced all lines multiple times trying RODI tubing, Silicone Tubing, Air Line Tubing

Eliminated all fittings so that the only thing in the dosing system is the tube directly in the All for Reef ( no straw ) the versa, and the tube going into my tank

Added a John Guest style back flow valve ( tested this valve by putting the pump in reverse and it is functioning properly) between the dosing container and the pump

Tried dosing longer and shorter increments

Added a pipette nozzle to the tank outlet to try and reduce evaporation

Basically I am at a loss for how to get this automated. It seems like a simple task, but either I am just unlucky with the pumps I have tried or there is hopefully a better solution. Any advice on what you have setup on your nano tank or how to eliminate the issues I am having would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_2754.jpeg IMG_2755.jpeg IMG_2757.jpeg

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how big and what corals do you have to be dosing!?

I don’t dose. Old school taught from the pro’s lol.
Its a mixed reef few sps mainly lps with a few softies. Alk drops about .25 a day and Cal about 5-10 a day.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a mixed reef few sps mainly lps with a few softies. Alk drops about .25 a day and Cal about 5-10 a day.
Have you seen effects, changes if you hold on till a water change every weekend?!

(Project tank) mixed reef Red Sea nano. Mine consumes about the same amount or slightly little more per day and I can go the whole week before doing a 15%Gal water change.

I ask since maybe you can hold off and focus on water changes and then collect info and plan for a reliable dosing system. When and if it’s an emergency amount of consumption. Like .50’s -higher

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen effects, changes if you hold on till a water change every weekend?!

(Project tank) mixed reef Red Sea nano. Mine consumes about the same amount or slightly little more per day and I can go the whole week before doing a 15%Gal water change.
I have not really tried that to test it out. I am sure I could rely on water changes alone, but figured if I can keep it stable and eliminate the alk and cal swing each week that would be the best option.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not really tried that to test it out. I am sure I could rely on water changes alone, but figured if I can keep it stable and eliminate the alk and cal swing each week that would be the best option.
I would do that. Find a strategy on only water changes, and then with that time available plan for a super reliable dosing system. Whether it’s cost or something else.

For me it’s costs lol. I’ve already bought a Red Sea Doser… definitely gives peace of mind and time to have a reliable device, it’s on standby haha… until necessary.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 20 gallon Innovative Marine AIO that I have been trying to setup for automated dosing of All for Reef. I picked up a used Kamoer F1 that had a few issues so I replaced the head and still was dealing with siphon issues. So I decided to get a Versa so I would not have to tinker with it any longer. The Versa still has issues with my situation. I only need to dose 2-3 ml daily at the moment to maintain my Alk and Cal. The issue I am running into is that I am either battling a back siphon issues on two brand new versa pump (the one I bought and the one ecotech sent out as a replacment when I contacted them) or an evaporation issue. When I calibrate the pump its spot on and I make note of the water line in the tube on the outlet hose on the tank. When I check 24 hours later before my next dose that line has creeped back towards the pump so my dose is somewhere between .5 and 1ml short. I have posted this question a few places thinking it may be my pump and gone through tons of troubleshooting steps

Replaced all lines multiple times trying RODI tubing, Silicone Tubing, Air Line Tubing

Eliminated all fittings so that the only thing in the dosing system is the tube directly in the All for Reef ( no straw ) the versa, and the tube going into my tank

Added a John Guest style back flow valve ( tested this valve by putting the pump in reverse and it is functioning properly) between the dosing container and the pump

Basically I am at a loss for how to get this automated. It seems like a simple task, but either I am just unlucky with the pumps I have tried or there is hopefully a better solution. Any advice on what you have setup on your nano tank or how to eliminate the issues I am having would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have the same tank.
I was dosing two part daily and have been dosing daily all for reef instead for the last couple of months.
I have not had any dosing issues as you describe. I use the Neptune DOS for my dosing. It seems to does the exact amount requested.
My daily consumption of nutrients is about the same as you describe.
I would personally not like to rely on weekly water changes to maintain stability as alk would drop by 1.5-2 points In between. That said, I know people do that with success.

My dosing setup is simply tubing from the reagent container to the back of the tank. It holds the fluid without loss. If you are having the fluid back off, you likely have an incomplete seal somewhere or air leak…if I am understanding your situation.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a versa pump but check the connection between your tubing and the pump. If not air tight, the fluid will slowly creep backwards. Are you using the correct tubing (material and size)?
Just thinking out loud.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing all for reef I know Lou Ekus has stated that it will crust up the end very quickly and the solution is to have the tip of the dosing tube under water with a small hole pierced in the line to prevent siphoning. I will look for the video like where he describes exactly how to do it. I apologize for not being better at describing it.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I misread the initial post. Duhhh sorry OP

It’s in this video. Lol again not very helpful because it’s a long video and I don’t know where he talks about it but he talks about it in this video.

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a versa pump but check the connection between your tubing and the pump. If not air tight, the fluid will slowly creep backwards. Are you using the correct tubing (material and size)?
Just thinking out loud.
I have tried two different silicon tubes, two different air line tubes, and rodi tubing. The only fitting I have at this point is the barbs or push connect fitting at the pump. Since the side losing liquid is on the tank side, I would guess that the fitting that was the issue would have to be the outlet fitting on the pump. If I was leaking air there wouldn't I be seeing liquid under the pump or atleast crust around that fitting where it was able to leak out. The fluid has to be going somewhere if its not in the tube anymore.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine does the exact same thing. From what I can tell, its the line draining from the outlet backwards towards the pump. The question is, how does the little bit of drain down affect your numbers? I’m dosing 9ml split up with my kamoer and I have seen no adverse effects on my parameters, it stays pretty dang stable. Interestingly enough, I still get the bubble even with dosing every 4 hours. The kamoer also has an hard time dosing accurately when the dose is below 1ml.
IMG_1916.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The versa pumps run backwards after dosing to avoid the liquid from creeping out the hose. It's how they were designed and should not effect the dosing amount at all.

The directions or rather I saw it on a youtube video years back when they were introduced explains this.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks

Ive been using a versa for 2 years or so. Ive dosed many different additives with it, AFR, kalk and 2 part, Ive never seen this issue. Have you calibrated the pump?

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the exact same thing. From what I can tell, its the line draining from the outlet backwards towards the pump. The question is, how does the little bit of drain down affect your numbers? I’m dosing 9ml split up with my kamoer and I have seen no adverse effects on my parameters, it stays pretty dang stable. Interestingly enough, I still get the bubble even with dosing every 4 hours. The kamoer also has an hard time dosing accurately when the dose is below 1ml.
IMG_1916.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back