Have you lost an anemone to a power head / wave maker / crossflow?

• Total voters

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I was having a discussion with another reefer and he said that he believes that the chance of a nem meeting its maker via our tanks flow masters is low. And now I want to know- hopefully we can get enough people to answer this poll!

If you have a 3D printed nem guard let us know below make and model you have.

Questions that seem fellow reefers want answered as well if you don’t mind -

If you said yes can you tell share the details of your tank details at the time?
Tank Age?
Tank size?
Lighting set up - maybe you even know your PAR readings!
Type of power-heads -how many -what percentages they were being run at - location?
Tank turnover?

And anything else you want to share!
Of course answering our never ending list of questions is not a requirement to join the debate on whether our nems become lunch for the power-heads less frequently than we may think (or maybe more frequently!)!

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I was having a discussion with another reefer and he said that he believes that the chance of a nem meeting its maker via our tanks flow masters is low. And now I want to know- hopefully we can get enough people to answer this poll!

Also do you have a 3D printed nem guard? Post below make and model you have it for!
The "Not me Personally but a friend did" should be removed, what if 3 people are all thinking of the same friend? That's 3 votes in your favor :upside-down-face:

It was me who was discussing it with him btw :-D

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone responding that had this occur would you mind sharing details about your tank at the time? Age, size, lighting etc...

Wondering if this is a more pressing issue if the initial environment had situations that made the nem wander.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Not me Personally but a friend did" should be removed, what if 3 people are all thinking of the same friend? That's 3 votes in your favor :upside-down-face:

It was me who was discussing it with him btw :-D
Well we were all having a conversation :p

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone responding that had this occur would you mind sharing details about your tank at the time? Age, size, lighting etc...

Wondering if this is a more pressing issue if the initial environment had situations that made the nem wander.
This is my thoughts on it as well... I would love to hear tank size, lighting config, types of powerheads, how many, what percentages they were being run at, tank turnover, etc. I think this has a LOT to do with wandering nems personally... even after splits, mine tend to stay all around one another... sometimes they will move up and over the rockscape to the back, but they have never actually detached and taken a swim

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have a 3D printed nem guard let us know below make and model you have.

Questions that seem fellow reefers want answered as well if you don’t mind -

If you said yes can you tell share the details of your tank details at the time?
Tank Age?
Tank size?
Lighting set up - maybe you even know your PAR readings!
Type of power-heads -how many -what percentages they were being run at - location?
Tank turnover?

And anything else you want to share!
Of course answering our never ending list of questions is not a requirement to join the debate on whether our nems become lunch for the power-heads less frequently than we may think (or maybe more frequently!)!
I dont have nem guards. Thought I aquascaped well enough to not need them... my extra large Mertens took a walk. It's about 25 inches across... made it to the power head. It's so big all it did was jam it and stop it... crisis averted...

But my recommendation for every reefer would always be to use nem guards...

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have nem guards. Thought I aquascaped well enough to not need them... my extra large Mertens took a walk. It's about 25 inches across... made it to the power head. It's so big all it did was jam it and stop it... crisis averted...

But my recommendation for every reefer would always be to use nem guards...
The last nem that decided to try to fight the crossflow won the battle…like yours it was big enough not be devoured but mine still got chewed. More than half of it was still stuck to the glass

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could lose a few light bulb and glass anenomes to power heads. Doesn’t everyone?
Snails seem to be drawn to my powerheads. Snails get in the Hygger but never found a guard. The MP40 guard is a high flow with small holes. Found on Amazon.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could lose a few light bulb and glass anenomes to power heads. Doesn’t everyone?
Snails seem to be drawn to my powerheads. Snails get in the Hygger but never found a guard. The MP40 guard is a high flow with small holes. Found on Amazon.
Chris’s Aquatic Design is the one I have.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really it’s only split 3 times? What kind of nem? What’s you tank parameters?
Bubble tip, these are two splits. IMG_1946.jpeg
Alk 10dkh
CA 465ppm
MG 1450ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.1ppm
Salinity 1.0255
Temp 78-78.5
Stable 4 years.
IMG_1626.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tip, these are two splits. IMG_1946.jpeg
Alk 10dkh
CA 465ppm
MG 1450ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.1ppm
Salinity 1.0255
Temp 78-78.5
Stable 4 years.
IMG_1626.jpeg
Oooh our fish are cousins!
So Sherman rose bubble nem and she gets massive and splits - to frequently if you ask me.
It’s like when one splits the rest follow. I’ve brought several to the LFS. Had her for 4 years now and a total of 13 splits
IMG_5946.jpeg
IMG_5714.jpeg
IMG_5021.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol
Clearly related.
Do yours bite your elbow?
They said get clowns it’ll be fun! LIES!
Even though they clearly claimed the side of the tank with the nems those two (my little guy doesn’t attack me) will swim all the way to the other side just to bite me.

Guy at the LFS said usually clowns stick to like a 2 ft area…. Yeah sure….maybe non psycho clowns which obviously they ran out of when I got mine.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yours bite your elbow?
They said get clowns it’ll be fun! LIES!
Even though they clearly claimed the side of the tank with the nems those two (my little guy doesn’t attack me) will swim all the way to the other side just to bite me.

Guy at the LFS said usually clowns stick to like a 2 ft area…. Yeah sure….maybe non psycho clowns which obviously they ran out of when I got mine.
elbow? Heh, mine used to go for the meat on the bottom part of the palm on my hand, every time. I re-homed those two, and picked up some Mocha Storms (but was shipped Orange Storms) about 6 months ago, they have yet to interact with any of my nems >.<

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back