Another Build Thread You Won't Read

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at this. I don't know what to do. It looks I dunno.

1000004709.jpg
Looks pretty good. How's your clearance on the left side? Enough space for flow and cleaning?

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good. How's your clearance on the left side? Enough space for flow and cleaning?
More than enough. However it will be high flow area with MP40 right there. Good spot for sticks. I'm still thinking mixed reef. We will see.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to instead of making one continuous structure. Make two or three Islands and put them together. It sounds like the same thing but it's not. Also think about caves and hollows for all creatures great and small, creating a structure with a TP like structure and combining them.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This scape has potential. I hope it becomes Reef of the Month. Then EVERYONE will be reading your thread. Get ready for the sponsorship deals and the party invites. "Oh hi Beyonce, you saw my reef?" You got this.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at this. I don't know what to do. It looks I dunno.

1000004709.jpg

Great thread. Witty sarcasm is my love language.

That silicone scares me. If you are going to do something about it, now is definitely the time.

I also like the aquascape. If I could offer a couple suggestions it would be to keep the middle arch like it is, just shorten it by 2 inches at the top. Also take the two rocks on the left side, hit them with a hammer and make an upside L-ish shape and rotate them to the front a hair. Do the same with the two rocks on the left. Make the upside down L shape with them and rotate a hair to the back.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Witty sarcasm is my love language.

That silicone scares me. If you are going to do something about it, now is definitely the time.

I also like the aquascape. If I could offer a couple suggestions it would be to keep the middle arch like it is, just shorten it by 2 inches at the top. Also take the two rocks on the left side, hit them with a hammer and make an upside L-ish shape and rotate them to the front a hair. Do the same with the two rocks on the left. Make the upside down L shape with them and rotate a hair to the back.
Steve from SC Aquariums looked at all the photos and said, and I quote, " Thank you for your pictures, Your tank is good, the silicone is good. If you see a bubble inside the silicone, then we will replace the tank." This is of course impossible as the back glass is black and the bottom glass is on the stand. DUH. Whatever. I mean my chances of winning the pick 5 is better I am sure.

I could scrap this whole thing, dispute with my CC company and see where that goes. I just, I guess for once I am at a loss for words. I wish I could invite ya all over and you all can finger my slit...in the SILICONE you dirty jerks, and tell me it's fine.

Edited to add, I like the L idea but I am too lazy. I'm just going to toss them in and hope for the best. Also, I doubt the silicone is structural, maybe just for looks. I'm going to throw sand over it and forget it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this tank. This seam. So iffy. I mean I could hold spare change in the distance between the silicone and the glass. On the one hand, maybe it's OK. However the fact I didn't exactly pay it much attention until we filled it with 90 gallons of water I REALLY noticed it. I was like ****...is that the glass edge? Lemmie just empty this box like real fast. I wrote the guy, he got back to me asking for more photos. I obliged. I'll link em here so you all can see this. Ignore my floppy biddies, I put a bra on the moment I walk out the door, and that thing gets slingshot right the hell across the house the minute my foot crosses the threshold after I get home.
20240122_061254.jpg

20240122_061447.jpg

20240122_061454.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg
So does this joint open up more when you fill the tank? It’s hard to see but looks smaller in these photos than the first one you posted when the tank was full.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this joint open up more when you fill the tank? It’s hard to see but looks smaller in these photos than the first one you posted when the tank was full.
It was not noticeable at all until the test fill. You could see there was less of a silicone edge there but it wasn't until it was fully filled I noticed the LED's bouncing off the edge of the glass. The glass there is not uniformed like a beveled edge, but it's not sharp either. When I run my finger along that edge the glass comes in a bit from the rest of the pane then goes back out right before the overflow. It is near impossible to get a photo. If I had a digital camera that was designed for up-close then I could really capture it. If I could I would tip the aquarium on it's face and check the bottom...Something that would require me getting people involved, and now with the plumbing installed, it would be difficult.

The spot where you can see the led's glinting off glass is almost 1.5 inches wide. If you stick your finger there you can trace that edge all the way to the overflow, the glass is wavy, like meemah on her way home from the Bingo hall, not straight. If you try to trace the glass to the corner you run into silicone.

Steve says it's ok because there ARE NO BUBBLES. Nevermind you can't see the bubbles because of the location but STEVE SAYS AOK. You fill now and shut up. So that's what I am going to do. I mean look at a reef savvy tank. No extra silicone, it's all the that joint. Nevermind one is a Mercedes and the other is a Toyota Echo.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you tell him you cant see bubbles in the silicone cause there isn't any silicone? I'd do what Mr orange undies said to do just for my piece of mind. I'd rather not have to go through the courts after cleaning up a huge water mess and loosing all that life.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you tell him you cant see bubbles in the silicone cause there isn't any silicone? I'd do what Mr orange undies said to do just for my piece of mind. I'd rather not have to go through the courts after cleaning up a huge water mess and loosing all that life.
I did! He ghosted me. When I explained I could not see the back or bottom, he did not write back. So getting the tank swapped is not going to happen. Steve says it's OK and to look for bubbles. Which we know I can't do. So I have two options. Fill it, ignore it, and maybe I never have a problem, if I do, I guess I have to sue. Annoyingly. Or I start a dispute with all my documentation with my CC company, and get a different tank. None of this sounds fun or something I normally have to think about. I have never had this sort of issue pop up before.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did! He ghosted me. When I explained I could not see the back or bottom, he did not write back. So getting the tank swapped is not going to happen. Steve says it's OK and to look for bubbles. Which we know I can't do. So I have two options. Fill it, ignore it, and maybe I never have a problem, if I do, I guess I have to sue. Annoyingly. Or I start a dispute with all my documentation with my CC company, and get a different tank. None of this sounds fun or something I normally have to think about. I have never had this sort of issue pop up before.
yeah thats annoying. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to maybe cut away or remove the black at the bottom of the back in the area where to problem is to check it out and see if there’s a bubble?

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess?
Just thought maybe that could help bring some peace of mind if you’re worried about not being able to if there’s a bubble. Another option would be to see if you could slide the tank back slightly so the bottom overhangs the stand a little and look up at the joint that way to see if there’s a bubble.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought maybe that could help bring some peace of mind if you’re worried about not being able to if there’s a bubble. Another option would be to see if you could slide the tank back slightly so the bottom overhangs the stand a little and look up at the joint that way to see if there’s a bubble.
All very good suggestions.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got started on the rock work but darn Billy stole the rest of my reef epoxy thinking he could huff it and catch a high. I could tell on account of the purple ring around his mouth. Jerk. I ordered some on the interwebs and paid for the fancy shipping. Which is where they charge you more and it comes maybe an hour earlier than the peasant delivery service.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve is a tool bag, who sells tanks made in Chi-na *Trump voice*, out of a mini mall office warehouse space that used to be a Sizzler and a methadone clinic. You have more than the two options. With the best being to try your best to reinforce the bad silicone job with some pieces of glass. Best case it works and gives you peace of mind. Worst case you end up covered in silicone chugging bourbon out of your American flag hydro flask, and you book a plane ticket or take a long drive down to Cali to punch a frag plug into Steve’s ear. Then sue

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve is a tool bag, who sells tanks made in Chi-na *Trump voice*, out of a mini mall office warehouse space that used to be a Sizzler and a methadone clinic. You have more than the two options. With the best being to try your best to reinforce the bad silicone job with some pieces of glass. Best case it works and gives you peace of mind. Worst case you end up covered in silicone chugging bourbon out of your American flag hydro flask, and you book a plane ticket or take a long drive down to Cali to punch a frag plug into Steve’s ear. Then sue
Naw I decided to just fill it and forget all about it. Steve says it's fine. He makes all the tanks in all of China, I trust him with everything. My floor, tons of coral, livestock. He says it's ok then it's ok.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 125 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.0%
Back