Another Build Thread You Won't Read

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misery. Also the name of my high school years.
In high school I ran away and joined the circus... Learned how to drive a Peterbuilt, worked in a mob restaurant, swam with barracudas and had a pet rat named Reagan.
True Story...

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling....God help my nerves.
1000004628.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the tank full and the lights on I noticed on one part of the tank the silicone doesn't look like the rest of the tank and the light was shining off the edge of the glass. I tried to get a photo but it's difficult. Not sure if I am paranoid or...
1000004649.jpg

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the outside on a corner correct? As in were two walls meet on the outside? If so what does the seal look like on the glass to glass? Or is it the inside bottom?
It's the inside, bottom glass where it meets the back glass, so unless I lift the tank up which is almost impossible now I can't answer that.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this tank. This seam. So iffy. I mean I could hold spare change in the distance between the silicone and the glass. On the one hand, maybe it's OK. However the fact I didn't exactly pay it much attention until we filled it with 90 gallons of water I REALLY noticed it. I was like ****...is that the glass edge? Lemmie just empty this box like real fast. I wrote the guy, he got back to me asking for more photos. I obliged. I'll link em here so you all can see this. Ignore my floppy biddies, I put a bra on the moment I walk out the door, and that thing gets slingshot right the hell across the house the minute my foot crosses the threshold after I get home.
20240122_061254.jpg

20240122_061447.jpg

20240122_061454.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Steve is the cat I don't think he cares either way.

I have 2 tanks with suspicious spots. I've been thinking about replacing eventually since I have the nagging voice in my head saying so, but they've been there since first fill and haven't grown. Then my cheap self stops me.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some glass cut and eurobrace the bottom. It will be super cheap to do. Have the glass guy sand a 45 degree bevel on the lower half of the edge so it goes over your existing silicone. And Bob's your uncle.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some glass cut and eurobrace the bottom. It will be super cheap to do. Have the glass guy sand a 45 degree bevel on the lower half of the edge so it goes over your existing silicone. And Bob's your uncle.
Internal overflow...how to brace around that? I'm sure it will be fine. Until it's not.
If Steve is the cat I don't think he cares either way.

I have 2 tanks with suspicious spots. I've been thinking about replacing eventually since I have the nagging voice in my head saying so, but they've been there since first fill and haven't grown. Then my cheap self stops me.
Naw Steve is SC aquariums, the cat is Monti. She ran into our shop and wouldn't leave, so I took her home. Her tongue is always out like that.

1000004507.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal overflow...how to brace around that? I'm sure it will be fine. Until it's not.
Look... How do I Man-splain this to you.... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Its all about the stiction (sp?) You can't silicone over silicone. But you can create a seal on either side of it. Having an internal overflow really doesn’t matter so much. Just cut the glass to fit in between. One seal will be on the back glass and the other will be on the bottom of the tank. You are only using the brace to prevent the back glass from separating from the bottom. It is sealed now, you are just shoring up that seal.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look... How do I Man-splain this to you.... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Its all about the stiction (sp?) You can't silicone over silicone. But you can create a seal on either side of it. Having an internal overflow really doesn’t matter so much. Just cut the glass to fit in between. One seal will be on the back glass and the other will be on the bottom of the tank. You are only using the brace to prevent the back glass from separating from the bottom. It is sealed now, you are just shoring up that seal.
I'm going to need a photo. Or like a diagram written on the inside of a box of molson ice with your mom's best dollar store eye liner.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to need a photo. Or like a diagram written on the inside of a box of molson ice with your mom's best dollar store eye liner.
It's not the 99 cent store anymore.. Family Dollar is a buck and two bits...
Hopefully it will be clear now...
IMG_1742.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back