OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks freaking sick! I didn't even realize the U2 was a GMT. Hopefully it's just magnetized and the demagnetizing works. Fingers crossed!

Seems still fast after demagnetizing .

Have a watchmaker friend in town, going to drop it off with him. He owns a U1, so he knows the watch.

I haven't worn it on wrist yet, so I don't know if that would change anything... going to try today.

Just switched it over to the rubber strap as well, much better :)

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have this one, Audemars Piguet Juan Pablo Montoya in Titanium.

Been my favorite watch since about 2007, just never had to opportunity to own it :)

montoya.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Yeah that's next level for sure. Holy Trinity! Great score man, congrats! Wear it in good health

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Yeah that's next level for sure. Holy Trinity! Great score man, congrats! Wear it in good health

For sure thanks :)

Still waiting on the box to arrive, shipped separate. Also waiting on a rubber strap from AP, would be nice for Summer. 100 everyday here...

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey watch guys! Any suggestions on a lower priced watch to buy for collecting and investment. Maybe under $500 or so. I own a Rolex Submariner now but I assume it's fake since it was purchased at a Night Market in Bangkok.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $500 I would look at Hamilton, Tissot, Seiko, Citizen, Orient or Laco probably. You can find good deals at that price range from all those brands, especially if you go somewhere like jomashop.com.
If you want to spend a little more, there are some great micro brands like Traska, Christopher Ward and Farer that keep their value really well.
If you want to go used, you can probably find a good deal on an Oris around $500 on Chrono24.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $500 I would look at Hamilton, Tissot, Seiko, Citizen, Orient or Laco probably. You can find good deals at that price range from all those brands, especially if you go somewhere like jomashop.com.
If you want to spend a little more, there are some great micro brands like Traska, Christopher Ward and Farer that keep their value really well.
If you want to go used, you can probably find a good deal on an Oris around $500 on Chrono24.
Thanks for your input. It doesn't seem $500 will get me into the collector market! Anyway I had never heard of Jomashop before and picked up a Citizen Promaster diver for a good price on their website.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. It doesn't seem $500 will get me into the collector market! Anyway I had never heard of Jomashop before and picked up a Citizen Promaster diver for a good price on their website.
No problem! One other place to look that may fit your criteria more may be mrjoneswatches.com. Most are under $500 and can go up in value, if you get the right one. Definitely a little out there, so I'm reluctant to recommend as a first'ish watch. You can check out the website and just Google "Mr. Jones watches used" to see if that interest you

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey watch guys! Any suggestions on a lower priced watch to buy for collecting and investment. Maybe under $500 or so. I own a Rolex Submariner now but I assume it's fake since it was purchased at a Night Market in Bangkok.

$500 is a pretty good range.

I have two Seiko divers that were in that range and love them.

"Hamilton, Tissot, Seiko, Citizen, Orient or Laco" are great suggestions. I've owned Hamilton, Tissot and Seiko.

The Tissot PRX automatic is just a great watch collection starter IMO.

Also check out the Hamilton Khaki line.

Just whatever you buy, make sure it's Automatic or Hand Wound, leave the Quartz stuff alone...

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up today...

Traded my other two Big Pilots for it.

Only negative, is that the date was advanced a few days to test the calendar functions and you can't set the date backwards... so it'll have to sit when not being used to catch up :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

bptgpc.jpg

Last edited:

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up today...

Traded my other two Big Pilots for it.

Only negative, is that the date was advanced a few days to test the calendar functions and you can't set the date backwards... so it'll have to sit when not being used to catch up :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

bptgpc.jpg
Wow, that's sick dude! I don't even think I knew IWC had a perpetual calendar pilot's watch. I've always thought the Portugieser and Portofino perpetuals were kinda hidden gems and here's an even more hidden gem! Great score man! Wear it in good health.

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's sick dude! I don't even think I knew IWC had a perpetual calendar pilot's watch. I've always thought the Portugieser and Portofino perpetuals were kinda hidden gems and here's an even more hidden gem! Great score man! Wear it in good health.

Thanks!

Yeah they've been doing Perpetual Calendars in the Big Pilot for a long time.

One of the first was a limited edition in Titanium in the 2000s.

Actually met with John Mayer back in the day and was offered his titanium limited edition Big Pilot Perpetual. At the time it was too much for me and passed. Looking back, would have been crazy to have papers with his name on it, especially a Big Pilot since that's the watch he's really known for... before he went into his deep dive of collecting million dollar plus watches... my wife was a big fan LOL

jm.jpg

They actually do other complications like tourbillons, annual calendars and chronographs in the big pilot.

I think it would nice if they did a grand comp in a Big Pilot, since there is so much room to play with...

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yeah they've been doing Perpetual Calendars in the Big Pilot for a long time.

One of the first was a limited edition in Titanium in the 2000s.

Actually met with John Mayer back in the day and was offered his titanium limited edition Big Pilot Perpetual. At the time it was too much for me and passed. Looking back, would have been crazy to have papers with his name on it, especially a Big Pilot since that's the watch he's really known for... before he went into his deep dive of collecting million dollar plus watches... my wife was a big fan LOL

jm.jpg

They actually do other complications like tourbillons, annual calendars and chronographs in the big pilot.

I think it would nice if they did a grand comp in a Big Pilot, since there is so much room to play with...
Thanks for the history! That's pretty cool that you met John Mayer. Can't believe he was going to sell you one of his watches. Definitely would have been good pick up, even just for the story, but sometimes it's just not meant to be. That dude is definitely a huge collector.

I think it's probably just that I first came across IWC looking at the Portugieser and I haven't looked through their catalog too much. I've actually only seen the three hand big pilots up to now so definitely good to know.

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the history! That's pretty cool that you met John Mayer. Can't believe he was going to sell you one of his watches. Definitely would have been good pick up, even just for the story, but sometimes it's just not meant to be. That dude is definitely a huge collector.

I think it's probably just that I first came across IWC looking at the Portugieser and I haven't looked through their catalog too much. I've actually only seen the three hand big pilots up to now so definitely good to know.

LOL yeah kicking myself now...

The 5000 series 7 day Portugiesers you can get a crazy good prices on the second hand market like Chrono24. Feel like I've seen them in the $4000s when their retail is $13,000+.

I keep on thinking about getting my wife one lol

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this IWC GST Aquatimer 2000 a few weeks ago...

Watch first came out in the late 90s and was way ahead of it's time for having a full titanium case and bracelet, also being able to go down to 2000 meters... which is still pretty deep for today's watches.

Was one for the first watches that really grabbed my attention back in the late 90s as well.

Got lucky, this one was a one client watch with all bracelet links as well.

It came in a bit dirty, but cleaned up nicely. Also IWC still makes a rubber strap for it, so picked one of those up, since this will be a vacation watch and I hate bracelets...

atg.jpg

atbad.jpg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice .. I am probably a watch collector in an alternate universe. I got into them in college. I have (somewhere) a Movado ( I know not that great of a watch lol), Had a Tissot (T touch) for some time , currently really active so rocking the Garmin GPS for activity tracking. I would love to pick up more. Tag/Oris ? I love chronographs and have a few cheaper ones. I guess my ladys cousin works for Patek in NY..

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice .. I am probably a watch collector in an alternate universe. I got into them in college. I have (somewhere) a Movado ( I know not that great of a watch lol), Had a Tissot (T touch) for some time , currently really active so rocking the Garmin GPS for activity tracking. I would love to pick up more. Tag/Oris ? I love chronographs and have a few cheaper ones. I guess my ladys cousin works for Patek in NY..

I'd probably go with Oris over Tag. Everyone is loving the Tissot PRX now. It's kind of the new IT watch.

Lots of hate on Hublot at the moment... people think they are too expensive for a lot having off the shelf movements (some have inhouse) and having too many limited editions. Also, watch people see Hublot owners as just wanting to show they have money.

When Hublot released their Big Bang in the 2000s trying to catch some of the popularity of the Audemars Piguet Offshore, they were around the same price and the Offshores of the time didn't use their own movements either... but for some reason Hublot has received all the hate recently. I think it's due to a very popular Youtuber hating constantly on Hublot.

Anyway... just picked up this Hublot Big Bang All Black in ceramic for my wife a week ago for $3,700... a fraction of the retail price of around $15,000.

Amazing watch for the price!

Attachments

• bigbang.jpg
    bigbang.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 4

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back