Aqueon tank failure

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with aqueon tank seam failure?
My son’s 60 breeder, had a seam failure today. Livestock is in my system but made a huge mess.
Tank was in his bedroom, second floor.
Had water running through the floor into the basement. What a mess! Wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.
Basement will be fine, but bedrooms have original hardwood floors.
If those are damaged, that’s an expensive repair.
I have had several all glass aquarium tanks over the years but this is the first since aqueon took over all glass, not at all impressed. Been in the hobby a while.
Looks like bottom seam failed. Tank was on level stand, it should not have failed. Had to just be ****** construction of the tank itself.
Aqueon web site shows limited lifetime warranty but I don’t know if it’s even worth the risk?
Tank was just setup yesterday, was fine until about 3 hours ago.
Heard running water and went to check what the heck was going on, found tank leaking onto floor.
I have an all glass aquarium 40 breeder in the basement, that tank is over 20 years old.
Still going strong. Is it safe to assume quality has gone to **** since aqueon took over all glass aquarium?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good cause for invoking the warranty...
But would you really want another tank from them? The biggest I have from them is a couple of 10g qt tanks. Those cubes are scary, the glass is paper thin.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aqueon are the cheapest tanks that one can buy. I recently paid $50 for a brand new 40g. I wouldn't run one unless it's in a basement. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Put some fans on the hardwoods now. If you think that water is in your ceiling, drill a 1/4" hole to drain it. I've spilled thousands of gallons of water in second stories in my weed growing days and never had an issue if you address it immediately. Let the ceiling dry and hit it with some kilz and then ceiling paint. Whatever you do, do not call insurance over a measily 40g of water! Post pics if you want further advice... especially if your hardwoods start to buckle.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But would you really want another tank from them? The biggest I have from them is a couple of 10g qt tanks. Those cubes are scary, the glass is paper thin.
My 40g is the same thickness as my 10g. It's crazy! I won't hang anything from the side.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had issues with the rimmed tanks.
There rimless is a whole different story tho.
I bought one from petco on sale, and leak tested it.
Noticed it had a lot of bubbles at the seams, took pictures and showed the manager at petco.
She forwarded those pictures imediately to corporate.

I have a Aqueon 29gal im running a shrimp tank. *knocking on wood*
So far its been doing great.
I also have yet to have a 10gal or a 20gal long fail on me.

I think the issues probably mostly lie in the larger tanks.

As for recovery, id run a fan and a dehumidifier.
If you can dry the area out fast, you can probably luck out on not getting mold.

Dehumidifers are fairly cheap on amazon, you don't need an expensive one, unless noise is a concern and you intend to use it long term.
But make sure its a compressor style dehumidifer and not a Thermoelectric Petlier one.
A floor drying fan is also preffered in combo, but a box fan will work.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a refund then?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wet vac the floor then dehumidifier. like mentioned i would only use a big box store tanks in cement floor basement with a drain.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180g Aqueon started leaking a couple months ago at one of the bottom corners, at the black trim. It was about 4 years old. Luckily it was a tiny leak and i caught it quickly. My tank was evaporating more water than the leak.

I also had a marineland 40 breeder that bowed so badly I was uncomfortable using it.

I now stay away from those mass produced manufacturers.

Sorry to hear about the water damage. Been there and it’s no fun.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending where you bought it, return to retailer for a refund saying it leaks? I’d definitely invoke the warranty. Besides uneven seams on small tanks, can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with their tanks. Local LFS almost exclusively sells aqueon. I run a 40 breeder and multiple smaller aqueon tanks with no issues for years.

OP
OP
HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floor is almost dry, as far as I can tell, hardwood floor will be ok but time will tell.
I’m not 100% positive on anything .
I purchased the tank from local Petco, will be going in to speak with manager tomorrow.
If the allow me to do a return, I’m just doing that.
Maybe a 30 cube would be better for his room.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aqueon are the cheapest tanks that one can buy. I recently paid $50 for a brand new 40g. I wouldn't run one unless it's in a basement. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Put some fans on the hardwoods now. If you think that water is in your ceiling, drill a 1/4" hole to drain it. I've spilled thousands of gallons of water in second stories in my weed growing days and never had an issue if you address it immediately. Let the ceiling dry and hit it with some kilz and then ceiling paint. Whatever you do, do not call insurance over a measily 40g of water! Post pics if you want further advice... especially if your hardwoods start to buckle.

Right on man. Stupidly I made an insurance claim for a burst pipe in a poorly insulated wall. $8k claim… rates went up 400% for 4 years. On year 2 when I bought a new house and had sold the one I was living in within 1 hour of listing it, I found out that since I had a claim within (what I think) was 12 months insurance companies wouldn’t insure me and my existing had to, but at a price. What a freaking scam. Legally financing this for the insurance company. If I have to make a claim again, I’m going to have to think long and hard. My jaw was on the ground when I found this out, of course after I sold the place I was living in…

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on man. Stupidly I made an insurance claim for a burst pipe in a poorly insulated wall. $8k claim… rates went up 400% for 4 years. On year 2 when I bought a new house and had sold the one I was living in within 1 hour of listing it, I found out that since I had a claim within (what I think) was 12 months insurance companies wouldn’t insure me and my existing had to, but at a price. What a freaking scam. Legally financing this for the insurance company. If I have to make a claim again, I’m going to have to think long and hard. My jaw was on the ground when I found this out, of course after I sold the place I was living in…
Insurance is the biggest scam in the country. We are forced to use it as well.

OP
OP
HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called petco today and the person, I spoke to said, they will exchange the tank.
I guess better than nothing, lol!
I am definitely not filing an insurance claim, not worth the trouble and I am sure, they would just jack my rates up afterwards.
as long as I don’t find anything unexpected, floors look like they will be ok.
I have a large fan blowing on the floors, to help them dry out real good.
I’m thinking, something along the lines of an 30-40 gallon IM or planet aquarium AIO would probably be a good fit for my son’s room.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to my son about three months ago. He bought a 60-gallon Aqueon on sale from Petco. He got a month out of it before the seam gave way and salt water all over their living room floor. I gave him a 90-gallon Sepora I had and wasn't using anymore. I hope that tank holds up for him.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your issue.

I don't see a lot of posts about Aqueon failures, especially considering the volume of tanks they must sell,,, although the 60 breeder seems relatively new. *failure was quick so maybe a manufacturing defect?

I've been running an Aqueon 40 breeder with the thin glass (1/4" ?) for just over 2 years and no problems (yet) so hope this isn't common.
*also have a couple of 10 gallon Aqueons for QT and no issues but they don't see continuous use

Good luck with the floors -- bummer

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back