HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats better of the standard brands ?

whats better of the standard brands ? marineland ?
Got busy during holidays and didn’t get a chance to check back until now.
LFS is getting us a planet aquarium tank.
These are solid tanks.
I checked with 3 of the LFS in my area and they have never had an issue with planet aquarium. No more cheap tanks for me, learned the hard way.

OP
OP
HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this. I suppose this could happen with any and all tanks and builders. Most I've heard about consistently over the years have been Marineland, early on glass cages, and so far 1st gen Red Sea.

I bought my aqueon rimmed 40 breeder from Petco back when they had $1/gallon sales probably just over 10 years ago now. I've used it as a sump and has been moved 3 times. Carried awkwardly up and down basement stairs each time to get cleaned out. Pretty well used and abused.

In general, would agree.
My 210 all glass brand tank (all glass aquarium was purchased by Aqueon years ago) is almost 15 years old and still going strong.
I think most everyone would agree, Things were build differently back then.
I also have 2 all glass aquarium 40 breeders that are at least 10 years old, maybe older.
My 210 is at least 1/2” glass, my 40 breeders are 1/4” glass.

Aqueon 40 and 60 breeders are now made with 3/16” glass. IMO, that’s a little thin.

Now going planet aquarium 62g, opening up the wallet but that’s ok, I would rather pay more and have a good quality product.

When the 60 breeder leaked, took out my Samsung 65” in the basement and the Sony soundbar. Both expensive items.
Saltwater leaked through the floor boards and onto TV and surround sound speakers in the basement.
Luckily, water didn't get into my stereo system cabinet. That would have been bad.
Not worth me going cheap anymore, cost of everything already cost more than purchasing a good quality tank from the get go.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon 40 and 60 breeders are now made with 3/16” glass. IMO, that’s a little thin.
Interesting,,, this has always puzzled me -- all specs I found said 1/4" but:
My 40 breeder seems to be 3/16" -- just with ruler looking through glass,,, never took the time to rig up something rigid/flat/thick to get a caliper over the top rim.

Never worried about it but it I always wondered if this was just false advertising or I got a one-off or what....

*about 2.5 years since tank purchase,,, during PetCo $/gallon sale,,, 40B didn't qualify but still close at $49

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say but there are many Marineland seam break/leak reports as well. Much more so than Aqueon. Also spanning many years for over a decade now.
Is there a way to actually find out a companies breaks such as this? My LFS said marine land was better than a seapora tank, and trying to find credit to this.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there a way to actually find out a companies breaks such as this? My LFS said marine land was better than a seapora tank, and trying to find credit to this.
I bought seapora tanks for my 50g build last year. They are manufactured by aquarium masters. Great solid tanks…. Just fyi, they use tempered glass on some models side panels. They do indicate tempered panels with a silk screened dot but you can contact aquarium masters to get actual confirmation by manufacture date.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought seapora tanks for my 50g build last year. They are manufactured by aquarium masters. Great solid tanks…. Just fyi, they use tempered glass on some models side panels. They do indicate tempered panels with a silk screened dot but you can contact aquarium masters to get actual confirmation by manufacture date.

I seen one in person and it looked like a quality build and the seams were 10x better than topfin.

I had one on order but the cashier told me a 2 week delivery window — then today the owner said he has no idea how long it can be and offered a marineland same size as an exchange. Made it seem like I was getting a better deal and insisting a better quality brand.

I wanted the seapora but I’d hate to wait another month or two if they’re really the same. Are you familiar with both to compare?

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I seen one in person and it looked like a quality build and the seams were 10x better than topfin.

I had one on order but the cashier told me a 2 week delivery window — then today the owner said he has no idea how long it can be and offered a marineland same size as an exchange. Made it seem like I was getting a better deal and insisting a better quality brand.

I wanted the seapora but I’d hate to wait another month or two if they’re really the same. Are you familiar with both to compare?
I believe marineland is formerly perfecto aquariums just like aquaeon is formerly all glass aquariums. IMHO, both of those were/are cheaper “bottom shelf” brands of aquarium. I think the only difference in a marine land tank and a perfecto tank is black silicone. Aquarium masters/seapora is formerly deep blue aquariums which was also good quality. I will add, I also waited for mine, it took a month and I’m happy I waited. FYI , Royal aquatics is the east coast distributor for seaport tanks. Ask your LFS to call royal and find out their lead time on seaport orders.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe marineland is formerly perfecto aquariums just like aquaeon is formerly all glass aquariums. IMHO, both of those were/are cheaper “bottom shelf” brands of aquarium. I think the only difference in a marine land tank and a perfecto tank is black silicone. Aquarium masters/seapora is formerly deep blue aquariums which was also good quality. I will add, I also waited for mine, it took a month and I’m happy I waited. FYI , Royal aquatics is the east coast distributor for seaport tanks. Ask your LFS to call royal and find out their lead time on seaport orders.
He said the distribution gets weekly trucks in but they don’t know what’s on it til then. And he’s not waiting on my tank but someone else’s for the pallet.. although they promised me 1-2 weeks, he brought up Covid saying some people waited 3 months and couldn’t promise a time. I really want the tank but not a 3 month wait. Then another lfs a hour away also promised they could get the tank in a week - but would hate to start this process all over and be waiting on someone else farther away

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 135 gallon seapora tanks and I can say they were way better built than any of my aqueon or marineland tanks. The glass thickness, seams and top frame were superior to my 180 gallon aqueon. We moved the 135's at the same time I was moving a aqueon 180 gallon and we found the 135 was actually heavier than the 180.

They do use tempered glass so you need to watch out for that if you are drilling. They clearly marked the corner of the glass with a stamp indicating it was tempered. My sides were not tempered, but the bottom, front and back panels were all tempered glass.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 135 gallon seapora tanks and I can say they were way better built than any of my aqueon or marineland tanks. The glass thickness, seams and top frame were superior to my 180 gallon aqueon. We moved the 135's at the same time I was moving a aqueon 180 gallon and we found the 135 was actually heavier than the 180.

They do use tempered glass so you need to watch out for that if you are drilling. They clearly marked the corner of the glass with a stamp indicating it was tempered. My sides were not tempered, but the bottom, front and back panels were all tempered glass.
I appreciate your insight. He assured me I was getting a better deal, and put it out in a pallet before he made the call back to me. Tried to tell me marineland was better quality, better warranty, and more expensive - and he’d give it to me for the same price without waiting an unknown amount of weeks for the seapora (after they already gave me a wrong timeframe).

Alot of people say they’re the same quality, but they’re more mass produced and have a handful of issues in the past for seams leaking. I impulsively said yes to him but I wouldn’t be on here if I wasn’t regretting it already.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with aqueon tank seam failure?
My son’s 60 breeder, had a seam failure today. Livestock is in my system but made a huge mess.
Tank was in his bedroom, second floor.
Had water running through the floor into the basement. What a mess! Wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.
Basement will be fine, but bedrooms have original hardwood floors.
If those are damaged, that’s an expensive repair.
I have had several all glass aquarium tanks over the years but this is the first since aqueon took over all glass, not at all impressed. Been in the hobby a while.
Looks like bottom seam failed. Tank was on level stand, it should not have failed. Had to just be ****** construction of the tank itself.
Aqueon web site shows limited lifetime warranty but I don’t know if it’s even worth the risk?
Tank was just setup yesterday, was fine until about 3 hours ago.
Heard running water and went to check what the heck was going on, found tank leaking onto floor.
I have an all glass aquarium 40 breeder in the basement, that tank is over 20 years old.
Still going strong. Is it safe to assume quality has gone to **** since aqueon took over all glass aquarium?
I have a 90 gallon Aqueon rimmed tank that is 8 months old now, and doing fine. But as another on here said, their rimmed tanks are a different story. Sorry to hear about this, but as others have said, if you get in front of the mass immediately, you may be good.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland is unfortunately a shell of its former self. Has been for awhile too. With that being said, this guy is/has obviously not been in the hobby or business long. Marineland is notorious for tanks blowing out, especially the Deep Dimensions tanks. You couldn't give me a Marineland tank, new or not.

Aqueon is the better "budget tank". I've still got a 125G that's going on 15 years old and still is perfect, minus some scratches but that's my own fault.

I can't comment on deep blue/seapora tanks, never had one. However if your main concerns are price and quality, stay the hell away from Marineland.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He said the distribution gets weekly trucks in but they don’t know what’s on it til then. And he’s not waiting on my tank but someone else’s for the pallet.. although they promised me 1-2 weeks, he brought up Covid saying some people waited 3 months and couldn’t promise a time. I really want the tank but not a 3 month wait. Then another lfs a hour away also promised they could get the tank in a week - but would hate to start this process all over and be waiting on someone else farther away
LFS tell you what you want to here.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland is unfortunately a shell of its former self. Has been for awhile too. With that being said, this guy is/has obviously not been in the hobby or business long. Marineland is notorious for tanks blowing out, especially the Deep Dimensions tanks. You couldn't give me a Marineland tank, new or not.

Aqueon is the better "budget tank". I've still got a 125G that's going on 15 years old and still is perfect, minus some scratches but that's my own fault.

I can't comment on deep blue/seapora tanks, never had one. However if your main concerns are price and quality, stay the hell away from Marineland.
Yeah I know Marineland is popular enough to have good and bad comments.. but all the seams comments in my deep dives makes me anxious - even though people buy them in stores everyday.

I saw the seapora and they looked nice, so when he promised similar quality. I probly wouldn’t be anxious if my order got changed due to time. I told him to reverse it this morning but they can’t guarantee's marine land be canceled — meaning I’d be stuck with it

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I know Marineland is popular enough to have good and bad comments.. but all the seams comments in my deep dives makes me anxious - even though people buy them in stores everyday.

I saw the seapora and they looked nice, so when he promised similar quality. I probly wouldn’t be anxious if my order got changed due to time. I told him to reverse it this morning but they can’t guarantee's marine land be canceled — meaning I’d be stuck with it
Have you already paid for it?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you already paid for it?
I paid for the seapora, they told me 1 week, 2 tops. Then at 2weeks I called and spoke to the owner who said they shouldn’t have said the timeframe as it’s undetermined. He called around and said he could get the marine land and sang all its praises yesterday.

I said yes because it’s a few days and same size tank vs potentionally a few weeks or even month or two.. Last night I couldn’t settle with it, so I called this morning asking if we can cancel the Marineland and just wait on the seapora another 2-3 weeks and see if he’ll get it, but since I said yes yesterday to the marineland - they’re unsure if it’ll be canceled.

Which is my own fault I guess for not telling him on the phone I need a minute to consider it. So I guess we’ll see.

Plus I just realized we’ll need a coral qt too, so there really was no rush on even getting the display up quickly. Starting this hobby feels like one huge learning curve after another

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back