Aussie Gold..1 of my fav sticks!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice coral! I have had a similar coral for years. Its almost identical to the mother of pearl. It tables out and looks like a funky tort. I got it as a wild frag years ago. I will see if I can find a pic. I have been looking for something that looks like it but can't find anything exact. So far the mop and this one are pretty similar. Mine likes high light though, it brings out the blue tips more.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a older pic of it. The color in the branches turned more neon green farther down on the coral. I have got a number of frags out in my area, hoping to see some grow up nice. Wierd how mine likes high light though.

PaulsBADazz2Acro_zps3499334e.jpg
[/URL]

Nitr8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a older pic of it. The color in the branches turned more neon green farther down on the coral. I have got a number of frags out in my area, hoping to see some grow up nice. Wierd how mine likes high light though.

PaulsBADazz2Acro_zps3499334e.jpg
[/URL]

The guy I got mine from says high light too or it loses the yellow.

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice coral! I have had a similar coral for years. Its almost identical to the mother of pearl. It tables out and looks like a funky tort. I got it as a wild frag years ago. I will see if I can find a pic. I have been looking for something that looks like it but can't find anything exact. So far the mop and this one are pretty similar. Mine likes high light though, it brings out the blue tips more.

It is a real nice piece I've had it for several years but recently after switching to a much much too large CaRx most my colony RTNd and only have a few nubs surviving.
I would have to agree..it is definitely like MOP!
High light draws out the blue but lower light draws out the gold base coloration. That is the difference (IMO) between AG and MOP, MOP loves light to get the base color.

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I got mine from says high light too or it loses the yellow.

As very few people have the real AG there is an individual selling Myagi Tort as AG..which requires high light and will develop a yellow tip (ie not the AG from me/original. As it is me that coined the name) Robbie's, Tyree's, Jduck, and a few locals came from me
But I have had this coral since 06or07 and kept it directly under 250HQI w/ 2-4' 22k T5s for years and years it stayed brown w/ blue tip. Not til I through in a low light corner and forgot about it did it develop the gold coloration

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was mine 8/27/13 after I got it.

And this was the other day. I moved it into my new system and it has lost some of the gold and was replaced with white. I think it is getting to much light so I moved it. I hope is colors back up. It is my all time FAV.

Nice job!!
Lower light and it should come back nicely..might take a month or 2

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my coral (just a wild frag, no lineage to anything) under 400w 10k xms with t5s and crees during the pic I took. The lower Kelvin helped keep the branches more gold and pink for me. Maybe it is closer to the mop coral. Locally I call it "bad *** acro" so I can keep track of it easier. Under all leds the coral really turns more pink and looses its good color.
After seeing the real myagi tort pics I would love a piece of it. A lot of people I have seen sell corals under thst name and they look nothing like it. They also try to tell me that's what mine is but it's Definatly a different coral.
Great thread, love corals with this coloration, I would like to see more pics if people have some!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back . Mine came from CC as a RR so is it the real deal or a imposter .
I already saw the OG . Glad this thread was hear for a reference . I was looking for torts and asked about a MOP trade . Offer was declined then totally forgot I had this one lol..

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back . Mine came from CC as a RR so is it the real deal or a imposter .
I already saw the OG . Glad this thread was hear for a reference . I was looking for torts and asked about a MOP trade . Offer was declined then totally forgot I had this one lol..

CC RR AG is the same. I've given it them several times. It is originally from RR when RD first came to the U.S.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my Dave's skittle acro I picked up from a local reefer...........same colors and growth.

Daves_zpsnaplefmp.jpg

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be any number of acro but this looks like what we call ‘dustin’s cousin’ in Australia.

Indeed many keep it in lower light and it ranges from yellow to more green or even white with the bluish tips.

This example is a very yellowish one

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daves skittle doesn't have red. It has four colors, yellow, green, purple (different shades) and blue under my lights. The yellow is most prominent on the areas that get direct light.

I've never seen an Aussie gold in person but it looks similar to me from pictures in some respect to the gold/yellow.

Here's a few recent pics of the colony. This is with no supplementation so there are no fake colors that are a result of bluer tanks.........it is really awesome with some blue that LEDs can add to the pallete or intensity of the colors. This is a hard coral to snap good pics of.......in person it has brighter/deeper coloration.

Two different angles I took a few days ago-

Daves Skittles R 051821.jpg

Daves Skittle two R 051821.jpg

Here's a frag just starting to show is multiple colors-
Dave Stilles encrusted frag R 051821.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back