Back in the hobby after a 10+ year absence...need some refreshing...

marillion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I signed up to this site nearly 18-years ago. I'm SHOCKED that I remembered my password! Lol. I was a heavy poster on reefs.org back then but not so much here for whatever reason.

I'm finally able to set up a reef tank again after a long 10+ year absence in the hobby (I was active in it 20+ years before that). It seems like the amount of equipment suppliers has shrunk as I've been searching for a setup that meets my current space limitations and have had difficulty finding the quality that I want. I've settled on a 40-gallon breeder tank, from here : Landen 44-gallon Rimless

After selecting the stand (1,000lb load capacity), I figured I'd ask around as to what the hobby has developed since I've left as far as advances in equipment.

It's just going to be a basic LPS/SPS reef tank with low fish load (pair of clowns/anemone and maybe one or two similar sized fish). No softies save for a couple zoanthids and pom-pom xenia.

Looking for recommendations on salt, heater, skimmer, lighting, circulation pumps and if I need a controller. I doubt I need a filter given my expected bio-load. Reverse osmosis water still the thing to fill with? Best place to get live rock is...?

Money really isn't an object but I don't need Ferrari's at every position on the track, if you take my meaning.

Thanks in advance for any info/links and advice. It's appreciated. Glad to be back in the game.

-Chip

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I was in that same spot couple years ago, check out my build thread if you want. I went a tad bigger but similar circumstances. So far, what I have learned being back in, is there is FAR more tech. Alot of folks spend on automation, not my thing at this time. Automated testing, uploads to the internet etc. Again, not my style, I do not obsess over numbers.
RODI is still a thing for topoff.
One thing I did that I really never did, I got a smaller aquarium that sits on a small pedestal (for air flow) on top of a small wine fridge...gives me a place to put a bottle or two of pods or refrigerated food, as well as...well wine. It is my quarantine, everything goes in there even for observation if not treatment. Most things are 4-6 weeks. There is also a UV sterilizer in there. A tool I never used before but swear by now.

Live rock is NOT what it used to be, prepare to dial your expectations WAY back. Fish, corals, inverts are FAR more costly. Real live rock can only be gotten from an old tank broken down, or there are a handful of vendors who sell maricultured rock they farm in ocean plots off of Florida. So yeah it is Florida rock, not the Pukani, Tonga, Aussie, and other more beautiful stuff you could get 10 years ago.

There are more captive bred species than before. Which is good IMO.
The old debates of refugium, Berlin, Skimmer, etc etc still go on and on.

lighting is the biggest change to me, LEDs were just starting and only one or 2 German lights did them when I got out, now they are everywhere, programmable, etc. Almost too much to choose from.
best of luck and do yourself a favor, make a build thread to come back and enjoy from time to time and record the progress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still using my mp40 and mp10 from 10 and 12 years ago

Live rock has gone way up. We’re talking like 20-22$ a pound lol

Check LFS. My LFS has “live rock” in tubs circulating from their systems and from buying it off customers for 8$ a lb. It’s not crawling with life though but it has the bacteria for seeding new tanks

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef!!!

Seems some days all I do is advertise for Reefi-labs lights :) Not complaining at all, I love these lights.

Here is a post I made this morning about the lights I use and why I THINK they are the best you can buy right now.

What ever ya direction ya take, I wish you luck and success.

Last edited:

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Chip and Welcome back to R2R and the Hobby. Since you live so close I could have helped with Kenya tree and some other softies but that isn't the way you are leaning. RODI is the way to go. I have two 40 gallon containers that I picked up in Conway that RODI goes into one while the other has the salt mix.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I signed up to this site nearly 18-years ago. I'm SHOCKED that I remembered my password! Lol. I was a heavy poster on reefs.org back then but not so much here for whatever reason.

I'm finally able to set up a reef tank again after a long 10+ year absence in the hobby (I was active in it 20+ years before that). It seems like the amount of equipment suppliers has shrunk as I've been searching for a setup that meets my current space limitations and have had difficulty finding the quality that I want. I've settled on a 40-gallon breeder tank, from here : Landen 44-gallon Rimless

After selecting the stand (1,000lb load capacity), I figured I'd ask around as to what the hobby has developed since I've left as far as advances in equipment.

It's just going to be a basic LPS/SPS reef tank with low fish load (pair of clowns/anemone and maybe one or two similar sized fish). No softies save for a couple zoanthids and pom-pom xenia.

Looking for recommendations on salt, heater, skimmer, lighting, circulation pumps and if I need a controller. I doubt I need a filter given my expected bio-load. Reverse osmosis water still the thing to fill with? Best place to get live rock is...?

Money really isn't an object but I don't need Ferrari's at every position on the track, if you take my meaning.

Thanks in advance for any info/links and advice. It's appreciated. Glad to be back in the game.

-Chip
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Back