Best turkey baster blowing off rocks?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ole' TB from wallyworld cost a buckfiddy.

But I do like that pump contraption you've made. I have one of those too way more work to drag it out and use it. TB im in and out in a minute or two.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sitepandawhalecom GIF

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you find best for blowing off rocks? The cheap dollar store ones aren't good for anything but squirting food.
I've tried using small pumps in tank with tubing attached but I create too many frags.
I just just a regular turkey baster, nothing special, just make sure you use a new one and keep it dedicated to the tank.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ole' TB from wallyworld cost a buckfiddy.

But I do like that pump contraption you've made. I have one of those too way more work to drag it out and use it. TB im in and out in a minute or two.
Ya I wouldn't bother but blowing of rocks in four tanks one 84x30 and another one 6ft is getting old with a baster that works poorly to begin with.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s that GD Loch Ness monster!

I actually have to start basting rocks more often now that I am using a skimmer. My coral feeder works well enough for me to kick up a lot in tighter areas.

I was adding fish recently and realized as I diluted low salt water with my tanks water I’m having quality issues even after repeated water changes. Seeing a skimmer go to work on a year and a half of mistakes has been… well, fun!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I asked for that one lol. I need to go build some shelves. I'm not nearly that organized.

That was my last house, I had to move because those shelves were full.

It looks like this now. I need to get rid of that old computer as soon as I figure out how to transfer the pictures. :anguished-face:
thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Version 1 was a flop. Too much head pressure trying to push from the sump. Version 2 works pretty well. Not sure I'll try it in my smaller tanks that have some sticks but it works great in the 330. The silicone tubing is thick enough it doesn't kink so I can operate it single-handed which leaves a hand free for the outlet remote control.
PXL_20240419_173422631.jpg

Total cost: less than tree fiddy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with this one. It was long enough(without the attachment) to get anywhere in my tank without putting my hand in the tank. Tank is only 18” tall though.

I may have to get one to try. I've been using a long feeding syringe type baster but the bulb is a bit small. The pump I rigged up works well but is a big enough hassle I won't be doing it daily which I like to do even if its nothing more than blowing off around coral.

Last edited:

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if one turkey baster will be better than another…I’ve heard of people using their wave maker to blow of debris from their rocks though. Or, if you really want them clean, you can take them out, and scrub them with a toothbrush.
I crimped a toothbrush into a length of pex and scrub them that way.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my small sicce nano pump and attached it to vinyl tubing and blow everything into the water column. wave pump would work fine as well. i found that with certain basters you couldn't get under rocks or point certain directions because of the size/shape. i can keep the pump in a corner pulling water while i hold the tubing and aim it where i want to with little to no issues
I use a powerhead as well. But I just hold the powerhead in my hand and point it towards the rocks. Works great.

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was my last house, I had to move because those shelves were full.

It looks like this now. I need to get rid of that old computer as soon as I figure out how to transfer the pictures. :anguished-face:
thumbnail.jpg
I thought the leaves on that tallest plant were 'interesting', had to get out a magnifier to check it out:)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back