Best way to raise par

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running your lights at now? You mention only increasing the lighting on part of the tank. If your lights are not maxed out maybe you can just increase one to accomplish that.

Found a guy who is selling as "new out of the box" I don't know much about these, is there any questions I should ask to make sure everything works and is legit?
That looks like it may be a 510 (blue sensor) if it is thats the meter I have and it has been great.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running your lights at now? You mention only increasing the lighting on part of the tank. If your lights are not maxed out maybe you can just increase one to accomplish that.

That looks like it may be a 510 (blue sensor) if it is thats the meter I have and it has been great.
My lights are maxed out. Now that I might at a strip/t5 through the entire tank I will adjust my lights as necessary.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are maxed out. Now that I might at a strip/t5 through the entire tank I will adjust my lights as necessary.
You orig. wanted just a supplement to your Kessils, right?
Your depth is fairly minor all things considered at 14"..
first thing if you keep the Kessils is to optimize the placement.
This vid will start at the appropriate point re: height and linear spacing for 2 90W kessils.

Keep in mind they are optimizing for a 24" cube per each light.
At your 18" wide you can adjust slightly. I/e go 6-7" not 8" height.
Adding something like this is probably sufficient.

Kessil mounting brackets NOT included but will fit this fixture and Black Decor Endplates are included.

Adds 216W to your 180-ish.
Enough for a shallow 50gal.. :)
Of course you will need to suspend it afaict.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you T5 only users out there. I'm cycling a tank now and have a four bulb T5 fixture and I can add a fifth if needed. This will be my first reef with T5s.

How high above the water surface do you typically have your fixture? My tank is 24" high, 19" front to back, on a mixed reef.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you T5 only users out there. I'm cycling a tank now and have a four bulb T5 fixture and I can add a fifth if needed. This will be my first reef with T5s.

How high above the water surface do you typically have your fixture? My tank is 24" high, 19" front to back, on a mixed reef.
Mine is 8 -10 inch off of the water, forget, par is under 200 6-8 inches down. 6 bulb setup on a 75 gallon. Most people just have them at the point prior to light spill out of the tank.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You orig. wanted just a supplement to your Kessils, right?
Your depth is fairly minor all things considered at 14"..
first thing if you keep the Kessils is to optimize the placement.
This vid will start at the appropriate point re: height and linear spacing for 2 90W kessils.

Keep in mind they are optimizing for a 24" cube per each light.
At your 18" wide you can adjust slightly. I/e go 6-7" not 8" height.
Adding something like this is probably sufficient.

Adds 216W to your 180-ish.
Enough for a shallow 50gal.. :)
Of course you will need to suspend it afaict.

I have optimized the placement for kessils with no suppliment light. If there is a different placement for added suppliment lights I do not know that.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have optimized the placement for kessils with no suppliment light. If there is a different placement for added suppliment lights I do not know that.
No, no difference
Par:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy 3x Hydra 26s on here for less than $500. I run 2x 52s and 1x 26 on a 48x22x30 @30%. I Paid $500 for them with tank mounts. You may have to wait but they pop up all the time. Most people suffer from upgradeidis around here.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy 3x Hydra 26s on here for less than $500. I run 2x 52s and 1x 26 on a 48x22x30 @30%. I Paid $500 for them with tank mounts. You may have to wait but they pop up all the time. Most people suffer from upgradeidis around here.
It sounds like to me you are recommending me to sell the lights I have just to get new ones?

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you have already decided, but another vote to check out Quanto Pro LED lights. I am setting up a very similar low profile Acro tank, to be plumbed to my main Reef system, Sump and Display. The Acro tank will have its own lighting and flow more appropriate to acropora then my mixed display tank does. It is a low 48 x 18 x 12, "Acropora Annex" to my system. Two Kessil 360 will provide the Blue and shimmer but I knew that I needed much better light spread and more par so I am adding two Quanta Pro strip lights - their Reef Crest Daylight. They have other blue bulbs and other possible combinations can be used, but the Kessil will have the Blue covered and the strip lights will add extra hours of par and wider spectrum. The tank is shallow at 12" and the mounting will have the lights all at 6" over the water.

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you have already decided, but another vote to check out Quanto Pro LED lights. I am setting up a very similar low profile Acro tank, to be plumbed to my main Reef system, Sump and Display. The Acro tank will have its own lighting and flow more appropriate to acropora then my mixed display tank does. It is a low 48 x 18 x 12, "Acropora Annex" to my system. Two Kessil 360 will provide the Blue and shimmer but I knew that I needed much better light spread and more par so I am adding two Quanta Pro strip lights - their Reef Crest Daylight. They have other blue bulbs and other possible combinations can be used, but the Kessil will have the Blue covered and the strip lights will add extra hours of par and wider spectrum. The tank is shallow at 12" and the mounting will have the lights all at 6" over the water.
I know this is an old post, but how did you end up mounting the Quanta Pro's and the Kessil? I'm considering a similar setup of a 60G cube. Do you have any pictures of the tank with all the lights up and running?

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up mounting four (4) Quanta Pro under a cabinet and 9" off the water: Two Reef Crest, one OG Pop, and one Meso Blue. And also the two Kessils as planned. So its actually too much light (600-700 par) with everything on and now I am turning off the Kessils when the Reef Crest are on. OG Pop and Meso Blue are on all the time, but Kessils add to the Blue phases (8:00am - 1:00pm, and 6:00pm - 8:00pm) (pictures below) and the Reef Crest are only on during the five hour daylight phase (1:00pm - 6:00pm).

Acro on the rack are still getting 450-500 par without Kessils in the daylight phase and some need to be moved off the rack and lower.

Quanta Pro are mounted under the cabinet using their included brackets and Kessils hang with the included ring off a screw that is in the cabinet underside.

Blue.1.jpg
Blue.2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back