Kessil 360X Testing

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Kessil 360X was suspended 6" off the water surface. Testing showed maximum PAR generated at about 50% on the Color dial, and 100% on intensity. No water surface agitation. Measurements made with an Apogee MQ-510 quantum meter at a depth of 17 inches.
upload_2018-12-10_2-55-55.png

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I still think the Kessils have the nicest color blending of any light out there. This seems to be a substantial power increase over the previous generation. IIRC they were only putting out something like 150 PAR 6" down.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Kessil 360X was suspended 6" off the water surface. Testing showed maximum PAR generated at about 50% on the Color dial, and 100% on intensity. No water surface agitation. Measurements made with an Apogee MQ-510 quantum meter at a depth of 17 inches.
upload_2018-12-10_2-55-55.png

Ok, this always bugs me .. Is it 6" off the water surface and 17" down for a total of 23" from light to substrate??.....

This sort of is a nagging issue...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because many times it's not clear how it is measured..Too much room for inference..

Is it so hard to say 17" from where to where?
This isn't about you in particular, just an overall obtuseness to measurements

Hate as-u-me-ing..

Ends up in the "PAR" category ..;)

I'm NOT the only one..
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/363401-detailed-ai-prime-par-readings/

I wonder what the 30cm 45cm and 60 cm are, length above water line
It could very well be from the light itself, I know when I spoke with AI they informed me that the charts on their site are based on being away from the light itself, not underwater.

See pss poor definition..

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify - the lamp is 6" off the water surface (at the owner's request), and measurements taken every 3.5" on a grid system, for a total of 40 at a depth of 17" (13" and 8" as well), so 17" + 6" = 23" from sensor to business end of the lamp.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the PAR so low comparably to the 360WE?
The 360x has a dispersion angle of 130 degrees, and I suspect this accounts for the difference (although I need to dig through Kessil's specs to verify - the angle for the 360W isn't readily apparent (at least I didn't see it when browsing.)

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360x has a dispersion angle of 130 degrees, and I suspect this accounts for the difference (although I need to dig through Kessil's specs to verify - the angle for the 360W isn't readily apparent (at least I didn't see it when browsing.)

Interesting information, thanks. So a wider angle, and less intensity because of the wide angle. What else would be the allure with the X?

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana,

Just finishing up my tank build and trying to decide on which lights to go with this time around. My Hydra 52s have served me well but it is time for something new. What are your thoughts on these PAR measurements?

My tank is 28” deep. I really wanna try these lights but I just don’t think that’s enough power for SPS and a 28 inch deep tank. I think even if a put one every 12 to 15 inches they would be hard-pressed to have 100 par on the Sand and 300 par at 12” deep.

Is there something that I missing here? Is it a PUR vs PAR thing? How does one grow SPS 18 inches down with these things? 150 PAR just does not seem like enough. You would think with Kessil being as reputable as they are would make a light that could grow SPS at 18 inches of water depth. Love the color they produce and would love to give them a try. Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana,

Just finishing up my tank build and trying to decide on which lights to go with this time around. My Hydra 52s have served me well but it is time for something new. What are your thoughts on these PAR measurements?

My tank is 28” deep. I really wanna try these lights but I just don’t think that’s enough power for SPS and a 28 inch deep tank. I think even if a put one every 12 to 15 inches they would be hard-pressed to have 100 par on the Sand and 300 par at 12” deep.

Is there something that I missing here? Is it a PUR vs PAR thing? How does one grow SPS 18 inches down with these things? 150 PAR just does not seem like enough. You would think with Kessil being as reputable as they are would make a light that could grow SPS at 18 inches of water depth. Love the color they produce and would love to give them a try. Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I know they are supposed to be releasing focusing lenses later this year to increase penetration, which will help the par at deeper depths.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
If my no surface agitation do you mean calm waters? Test reminds me a lot of horse power and torque ratings. It is different at the crank shaft compared to rear wheel. I guess my point is that we all have water movement be it power head, surge, return pump, or other.

I understand time is money - if you haven't already done, maybe these are just teasers, are you able to test with water movement and possibly raise the height of the lights? 18 - 22" above surface? Maybe give a wider spread.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for sharing and your time. I did not mean to be rude.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back