Kessil 360X Testing

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply - your message was lost in the shuffle. I just looked at a tank using Hydras Monday. I didn't record the numbers but the owner did. @declanisadog can you share those numbers?
I’d be happy to. I have three hydra 26hd over a standard 120. They are hung about ten inches above the water. I run the David Saxby program. About nine inches deep directly under the light the PAR is 425, 200 in the sand, 125 in the corners. I believe it was around 800 right under the waterline, but i didn’t write that down. Let me know if you want anything else, and I will do my best.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be happy to. I have three hydra 26hd over a standard 120. They are hung about ten inches above the water. I run the David Saxby program. About nine inches deep directly under the light the PAR is 425, 200 in the sand, 125 in the corners. I believe it was around 800 right under the waterline, but i didn’t write that down. Let me know if you want anything else, and I will do my best.
Are those numbers corrected for the immersion effect? Thanks!

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe Dana tested this but if all channels were run at 100% (ie. color, intensity, violet, green, and red), power consumption would likely increase. I can test this on a Kil-A-Watt meter next week some time if Dana doesn't already have the data.

That would be great!

On a side note, @Ryanbrs and BRS did a great in-depth investigation of the kessil 360X. Interesting PAR numbers compared to the 360W, not really convinced regarding the 25% light output increase. The color rendition and shimmer look great though :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on some quick testing, the A360X had the highest draw at 62% color (via Kessil Spectral Controller X) regardless of intensity so I set intensity at 100% for everything. Measurements were taken with a P4460 Kill A WATT EZ.

32563586968_9d513e14a0_z.jpg

It looks like there may be a power supply issue (or a soft max so it's throttled); when all channels are set to max, wattage remains the same from 63% intensity all the way up to 100% intensity. I haven't check to see if there is a difference in PAR through that range yet. Perhaps that has something to do with Kessil Logic though.

It also has a considerably wider spread than the A360WE; I'll try to illustrate this better in a side by side comparison but it can be mounted at least 1" lower to achieve the same spread.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the controller is magnetic; I stuck it to my beer fridge as I recorded the data LOL.

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little more relatively useless information.

Avg sound level (phone app after a 30 second average).

A360X - 39.6 db
A360WE - 39.7 db

Mounting height over aquarium (150g measuring 60x24x24). I mounted the lights at a height where they cast light right to the top of the tank walls.

A360x - 2.25" above tank
A360WE - 5.5" above tank

This may be where some of the discrepancy in the 25% increase in output resides. I haven't checked PAR yet but the 3.25" delta would certainly increase PAR in favor the of the A360X (I'll know more later). Accounting for the water level, the A360X would be mounted 4" off the water in this scenario which is lower than I'd typically run a light. The A360WE would be 7.25" above the water.

46421913121_37d267eddb_c.jpg

Spent the time to measure and drill holes in the canopy and just remembered I have a pair of mounting arms in the cupboard LOL.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(lol)
Sidebar:

The ole 350's and 360's had fans for cooling.

Does the 360X still have a fan for cooling?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get caught up in the absolute PAR numbers; this was conducted in an empty 150g tank with a Seneye sensor sitting in a plastic container that had two inches of water in it (the Seneye cant take measurements out of water). The Kessils are still mounted at the same heights as post 88 of this thread. The increased PAR from being able to mount the light lower than the WE model is huge while still covering the same area within the tank. Whether you can take advantage of this or not is something you'll need to figure out.

32564914338_90ffafecda_z.jpg

Edit: The X produced peak PAR numbers at a Color setting of 50 while the WE produced peak PAR at Color setting 60 (this will produce a difference in PUR so that column isnt particularly useful). I used the Controller X to configure both lights; super simple to use in both instances.

Last edited:

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero data, but I just picked one up to play with, and will eventually replace my Halides.

One 360x vs one 250w halide with Hamilton Cayman Sun reflector, and Giesemann 17k lamp. Both set to equal distance off water. The spread of the Kessil is far superior. The brightness of the halide is far superior. I have a PAR meter, but haven't checked it yet. The shimmer is roughly the same (disappointing to me).

I'll update with my own unscientific data soon.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following I like the comparisons of the a360we and the x. coral color pop factor with the new added leds do the colors look better under the x. im looking to upgrade and just curious my radions had the different leds and deffinatly looked a lot better than under the kessils

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back