Do you still have your black tang?

• Total voters

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them to be quite awe inducing.

It's similar to witnessing a solar eclipse I'd say. When they swim across your tank they can fan out and completely cast their jet black silhouette over a colorful reefscape. It's an amazing fish and it's hard to feel their presence in a picture.

Here are pictures of my old Full blooded Z. Rostratum. I currently have a hybrid black tang.
_DSC4987-2.JPG

_DSC4986-3.JPG

_DSC4921-2.JPG
I agree there is something mystical about a black tang/fish. This is why I also like personifier angel’s.

SupraSaltyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of Black Tangs. I own 3 of them. Here’s one of them in the previous owners tank. Will post video of my tank later when I get a chance. In California you normally see them in the 6”+ size for about $1500. 3” and below will cost you $2000-$2500. For the price and one color I can see why people would choose a more vibrant colored fish. Like mentioned previously, it needs to be in a colorful tank along with other colorful fish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that sixline planning the black tang's demise. That poor tang is not long for this world...
May I just say… that six looks nicer than the black ;)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of Black Tangs. I own 3 of them. Here’s one of them in the previous owners tank. Will post video of my tank later when I get a chance. In California you normally see them in the 6”+ size for about $1500. 3” and below will cost you $2000-$2500. For the price and one color I can see why people would choose a more vibrant colored fish. Like mentioned previously, it needs to be in a colorful tank along with other colorful fish.

It’s nice but the leathers are nicer ;)

Would love to see the trio though, maybe that’ll change our minds on the fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black tangs are the second ugliest. The ugliest is this atrocious thing :cool:

1692995961763.png

Pity too, as it's probably the only tang that could fit in my tank. Looks like a tortilla chip gone wrong.
I raise you these monsters. Uglier and even more expensive.
IMG_7727.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool that you own 3 of them though!

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I love my black tang. I got one of the last true Hawaiian long nose black tangs before Hawaii was shut down. In the right light he looks blue sometimes.
IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ve just not seen the right specimens? So far the ones I’ve seen in your tanks actually look decent.

Or maybe it’s just the way they’re always described as a ‘shadow’ and it doesn’t seem pleasing to me

royaleFork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how much of it has to do with the back of most tanks being black? I imagine they would look better in a peninsula style tank or a blue background where you can actually see them in the background.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back