Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I have already read all the treat but Im scared to try bleach in the tank, now trying Vibrant.

I used Vibrant for several months trying to kill bryopsis before using Fluconazole. I didn't have a dino outbreak until I started using Vibrant. Either something in Vibrant brought out the dinos in my tank or Vibrant dropping my nitrates to 0 while still having high phosphates brought them out. Of course Vibrant did not introduce the dinos into my tank but it sure brought them out along with a huge smothering layer of cyano. Some tanks do well with Vibrant and some don't. Hopefully it will work out for you.
I was scared to try bleach as well but I've tried everything else so I decided to give it a shot. By the formula that they are using in the bleach thread my tank would call for 7.27ml twice a day. I'm using 6ml twice a day and nothing in my tank has shown any signs of stress. What is happening is that I've got better PE out of my corals than I've ever seen! I'm 3 days in on treating it with bleach now and it has definitely made a difference. Everything is still eating and acting normal in my tank so I will continue this for another week or so to see how it goes.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to ask you how the Dino X was working out for you on the brown slime. Did the Flucon treatment get rid of your gha?
Yeah... dummy me ended up with both treatments in my tank at the same time. lol The problem is, I don't know what results are from what product. :rolleyes:
But the end result is the Dinos is not reproducing nearly as fast after removal (I'm 13 days into 21 day treatment) and I'm getting some bits of it floating to the surface.
Not a hint of GHA in the display (although I do have some diatoms or something mixed with the dinos on the sand and ball sponges) and the macros in the fuge are very clean compared to how they use to be. I've been periodically shaking the dead stuff out of it in a bucket of RO and it's staying clean.
A good amount of the stuff that was growing on the walls has died off. I need to scrape off what's left. I'm getting a little bit of red cyano on some of it.
And I haven't had to clean the front window of the fuge in weeks. It was getting covered in brown algae within just a few days before.

That's the good.
The bad, is that a few sps have lost some of their vibrance and growth has slowed.
And my urchins are starting not to look so good. Losing spines.
I'm waiting for the DinoX treatment to be done and then I'll send off a Triton test.
I had also switched from Triton's Core Elements to the new Core7 concentrated stuff and have had a hard time regulating my levels so that may be contributing to the SPS a little.
But, I feel like between the junk growing in the tank, the stuff dieing off in the tank, and the stuff I'm dumping into the tank, and signs like I'm seeing with the urchins is showing me that there is some unhealthy stuff in the water.
I may end up doing a couple large water changes at some point.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... dummy me ended up with both treatments in my tank at the same time. lol The problem is, I don't know what results are from what product. :rolleyes:
But the end result is the Dinos is not reproducing nearly as fast after removal (I'm 13 days into 21 day treatment) and I'm getting some bits of it floating to the surface.
Not a hint of GHA in the display (although I do have some diatoms or something mixed with the dinos on the sand and ball sponges) and the macros in the fuge are very clean compared to how they use to be. I've been periodically shaking the dead stuff out of it in a bucket of RO and it's staying clean.
A good amount of the stuff that was growing on the walls has died off. I need to scrape off what's left. I'm getting a little bit of red cyano on some of it.
And I haven't had to clean the front window of the fuge in weeks. It was getting covered in brown algae within just a few days before.

That's the good.
The bad, is that a few sps have lost some of their vibrance and growth has slowed.
And my urchins are starting not to look so good. Losing spines.
I'm waiting for the DinoX treatment to be done and then I'll send off a Triton test.
I had also switched from Triton's Core Elements to the new Core7 concentrated stuff and have had a hard time regulating my levels so that may be contributing to the SPS a little.
But, I feel like between the junk growing in the tank, the stuff dieing off in the tank, and the stuff I'm dumping into the tank, and signs like I'm seeing with the urchins is showing me that there is some unhealthy stuff in the water.
I may end up doing a couple large water changes at some point.

That's great that things are clearing up for you. Fluconazole hasn't helped anyone else(me included) get rid of their dino/brown slime problem so I would imagine that the DinoX is what has helped you there. It's also good to hear that the Flucon didn't kill any of your macros during the treatment.A lot of people worry about this. Fluconazole is probably what took out your gha as it has for most that have tried it. It will be interesting to see what your Triton test results are when it comes back.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 9 of dosing 4000mg in my 125 for a horrible gha outbreak. I'm happy to announce my gha is 75% gone at this point. The only gha remaining is all in low light areas or nearly dead if even remaining. I have been doing some scrubbing with a toothbrush. Most of the really white stuff just turns to dust when hit with one. I've slid my light fixture back to see if I can hit the back sides of the rocks which is where most of what's remaining is. My sea hare does not stop eating anymore, I swear it doesn't even sleep anymore. Always out during the day now. I've also been aggressively using peroxide every night which I think is helping.

Prior to dosing fluco
IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

Day 9

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

Anemone still doing great as well

IMG_5377.JPG

Definitely excited for the next week to see just how much is gone at this rate I can't see it not being 100% but the light definitely plays a factor in how this medicine works. If it doesn't get it all I have confidence the tank can handle another dose. I think a larger dose is necessary for really bad gha.
Brandon your infestation of gha cleared up better than mine. I am going to suck out what I can in a 5 gal h2o chng tonight and then retreat.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running skimmer again for a few days and then I'm going to add in the new 20 capsules I just got to try and bust out that last little bit. Problem is I had some pretty thick patches in there that I should've done this sooner too but I believe that it used up some of the strength of the initial dose that and I had the skimmer on for a day or two when I first dosed. I do have to say that the stuff really works great I even got the LFS using it.

CPT Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get these? I have the same issue and want to give this a try? Thanks in advance.

IMG_4163_zpsjtmiftcq.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy - Can we add the links to common places in the first page where fluco can be found in US ? There have been lots of questions around availability of fluco even though they are mentioned somewhere in the previous 116 pages which makes it difficult to track down.

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy - Can we add the links to common places in the first page where fluco can be found in US ? There have been lots of questions around availability of fluco even though they are mentioned somewhere in the previous 116 pages which makes it difficult to track down.

Regards,
Abhishek

Yeah it's been mentioned or listed over 53 times(at last search) throughout the thread with the first time on page 3 I believe but unless they are R2R sponsors we were not going to make it part of the FAQs. We have not all got it from the same place either but if one of those companies would like to step in and help support our great reefing forum,I would be glad to add them to it. Like I've said in past posts,I think we've sent some of those companies a ton of business.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back