Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it kill red hair algae? I have been dealing this algae for years, and cant win. This is not dinos, or cyano.
279D01FE-E8DB-433D-94CB-5F283EFDC819.jpg

A91866DB-0AFC-42B3-8FAB-7A61FBD05BB2.jpg
9DCF946C-3FF9-4535-AEF6-1FE5FB525F91.jpg

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it kill red hair algae? I have been dealing this algae for years, and cant win. This is not dinos, or cyano.
279D01FE-E8DB-433D-94CB-5F283EFDC819.jpg

A91866DB-0AFC-42B3-8FAB-7A61FBD05BB2.jpg
9DCF946C-3FF9-4535-AEF6-1FE5FB525F91.jpg
That is some pretty algae. Too bad it would not stay in your sump. My guess is that since there is red derbasia algai that odds would be in your favor that it would be killed by fluc. Good luck.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no. I am on day 18 and I still have Bryosis. It decreased it by about 60% and made some of it easy to scrape off. I think it is probable I over estimated water displacement of my rock, so underdosed the tank. And my skimmer collected slime even though I turned it down, so perhaps removed some medication. I am considering redosing. A friend whom is a doctor (non hobbyist) has been chatting with me about this experiment and he thinks it is worth redosing to eradicate if noticable improvement was made. I think this is a miracle cure. However, I have had neomeris in my tank go crazy at times, and the population just boomed with this treatment. So I am considering bleaching the tank to kill neomeris annulata.
Can you elaborate on what size tank and sump you have, how much LR and sand, and how much you dosed? And capsules or tablets? Also, do you have a sizeable clean up crew to eat the dieing algae? These are all factors that seem to affect how well the treatment works.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am treating gha. It did not wipe it out in one treatment and 21 days so retreated yesterday. I would say 70% gone. Shaded areas least impacted by fluc. Now I am shining extra light on shaded areas.

20170225_115911.jpg

I think that is a great idea. I found algae in the shades areas to be the least affected.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on what size tank and sump you have, how much LR and sand, and how much you dosed? And capsules or tablets? Also, do you have a sizeable clean up crew to eat the dieing algae? These are all factors that seem to affect how well the treatment works.
Sure I can include more information. I am happy to help clarify what is working and what isn't. Thanks for the feedback, I have a custom 180 gallon DT, a 75 gallon sump, no certain measurement of how many lbs of live rock and live sand as over the years it has shifted, been added to and taken away. Looking at it now I think it would fill my Brute container. So maybe 35 gallons of water displaced. I estimated about 200 gallons of water to be treated. I think I was off my only about 25 gallons...maybe.
I used the formula of 150 mg per 8 gallons of water.
200 gallons divided by 8 gallons = 25
150 mg x 25 =3,750 mg
3,750 divided by 200 mg capsules = 18.75 capsules.
I used 20 capsules. So my measurement was low but I used an extra capsule.
The medication also circulated in the DT only for about 8 hours before the entire system circulated. I did too big of water changed and had make more water, run errands etc. it is always something. The clean up crew is something I am light on, now that you point that part out. I also found that the Byropsis affected brushed off rock and tanks side very easily as it was dying.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my treatment. Estimating 160 gallons, mixed up 16 capsules. Shut down skimmer and carbon. See how it goes

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top is yesterday at five days. Bottom is last Sunday before treatment. Today the fiji FOXFACE, tailspot blenny and blue eyed tang are vigorously eating it. They have never done that. Lots of loose material floating around as must be breaking down. Not picture today but I can see a lot more rock surface through the mat. All the algae is taking on a grey tone.
20170224_164224.jpg

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top is yesterday at five days. Bottom is last Sunday before treatment. Today the fiji FOXFACE, tailspot blenny and blue eyed tang are vigorously eating it. They have never done that. Lots of loose material floating around as must be breaking down. Not picture today but I can see a lot more rock surface through the mat. All the algae is taking on a grey tone.
20170224_164224.jpg

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great that things are clearing up for you. Fluconazole hasn't helped anyone else(me included) get rid of their dino/brown slime problem so I would imagine that the DinoX is what has helped you there. It's also good to hear that the Flucon didn't kill any of your macros during the treatment.A lot of people worry about this. Fluconazole is probably what took out your gha as it has for most that have tried it. It will be interesting to see what your Triton test results are when it comes back.
Here's a before and after of the refugium.

i-2PD7Hcc.jpg

i-wXshxrC.jpg
i-NF7FHSX.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no. I am on day 18 and I still have Bryosis. It decreased it by about 60% and made some of it easy to scrape off. I think it is probable I over estimated water displacement of my rock, so underdosed the tank. And my skimmer collected slime even though I turned it down, so perhaps removed some medication. I am considering redosing. A friend whom is a doctor (non hobbyist) has been chatting with me about this experiment and he thinks it is worth redosing to eradicate if noticable improvement was made. I think this is a miracle cure. However, I have had neomeris in my tank go crazy at times, and the population just boomed with this treatment. So I am considering bleaching the tank to kill neomeris annulata.
I would add a bunch of Mexican turbos if you can. Once I did that mine vanished. More light in the shaded areas also helps but I wouldn't pull, scrape or brush the algae off. I had a couple of really bad rocks that I experimented on by pulling during treatment. Those rocks took longest to die.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a before and after of the refugium.

i-2PD7Hcc.jpg

i-wXshxrC.jpg
i-NF7FHSX.jpg

That's definitely a lot cleaner in there now! When everyone comes in and asks about the effects on different macros,we'll link your post so that they can see that it didn't kill them. Looks great!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back