Bta just dropped a ball from its mouth

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Looks very scary but the anemone looks healthy. The hosting clownfish is biting this “ball”. Its not a tentacle as came out from bta’s mouth.

What is that?

image.jpg

IMG_1126.jpeg

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brake it and looks like some food I gave it yesterday.

image.jpg

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are usually partially digested food. I'm not sure why they do this--I suspect that they ingest whatever their tentacles detect, eat their fill, then expel these balls with the remainder of the food that they don't need. Unlike squirrels, they're not have to hold on to any food. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If food you're feeding way too much. They cant handle large pieces like that. A piece of mysis or 2 is fine. I haven't directly fed my BTA in years and they get what they need from photosynthesis.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If food you're feeding way too much. They cant handle large pieces like that. A piece of mysis or 2 is fine. I haven't directly fed my BTA in years and they get what they need from photosynthesis.
^this^ Mine get nothing but light and have thrived for years
Screenshot_20240327-135119~2.png

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually not one piece of food. The ball forms from whatever the anemone doesn't fully figest. I feed my anemones mysis, and occasionally I see these balls. If I'm able to remove them from the tank, they end up falling apart and I can see the uneaten mysis.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back