Bubble Algae in New Tank - should I take action?

mvarghese84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 90gal tank thats been set up for 4 months. Cycle is complete and Im passed the diatom and hair algae stages. Recently Ive seen some bubble algae pop up in the tank and it's been slowly showing up in various parts of the tank. Certainly not a nuisance yet but Im wondering if I should take action (chemically, livestock, manual removal, etc.) or leave it alone due to the newness of the tank. Id like to not interfere with the tank since it is so young but I dont want to let it get completely out of hand. Thoughts?

Total System Volume: ~ 120 Gal (DT + sump + Fuge)

Parameters:
SG: 1.025
pH: 8.2
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: Not tested

Livestock:
CUC (snails only)
Clownfish Pair
Lawnmower Blenny
No coral right now

Feeding is generally 2x a day with flake, variety frozen, and small sheets of seaweed.

Skimmer is on 12 hour daytime cycle and off for 12 hours overnight.

Lighting is Viparspectra 160W x2 running at lowest brightness on both channels on a 12 hour daylight cycle and I have a fuge light running on opposing 12 hour cycle.

Minimal algae in the DT - I have not even had to scrape the glass. Fuge is very healthy with lots of pods and algae growing on the glass. I dosed phyto daily for about 2 weeks in month 3 and now dose once a week.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed from stated above always better to take action before it spreads. id start with manual removal.
Yea I agree, I should have mentioned that as well. Manual removal should be your first choice. You could try livestock, but its not a given that will work. I had a foxface in my tank covered in bubble algae and he wouldn't touch it. Chemicals are a last resort since they tend to affect other things your tank as well and may cause a different issue.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've battled with bubble algae for a while. I can't even guess how much I have manually removed (that's all I've ever done). For a while I didn't think I was every going to get past this. Now, after staying with it, I do have some, but it's very little and only takes me a few minutes to pop off the rocks before a water change. I'm holding out hope that it will get tired of trying to take over my tank :) and I won't see it anymore.

I should add, I have tried pitho and emerald crabs. I only ever saw one of them munching on the bubble algae and they have all died. Nothing else in my tank dies off like these things. I have no idea why.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal and if you can get like a small foxface that will munch on it.

I live with it and those are the only dependable means I’ve found to manage it. I refuse to try some chemical fix that might kills off 10 years worth of work in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back