Came home and my torch and hammer looked like this. What’s going on.

Zach62727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3450.jpeg
IMG_3449.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one is receding and second one is dying. Once algae sets in like that its not coming back typically. We would need full tank parameters and age of the tank to try and help determine the cause but it obvious you are in a GHA ugle stage.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The coral looks stressed - (one) and dying or mostly dead (the other) - It would help to get more information - how long have you had, parameters, etc etc.

OP
OP
Z

Zach62727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one is receding and second one is dying. Once algae sets in like that its not coming back typically. We would need full tank parameters and age of the tank to try and help determine the cause but it obvious you are in a GHA ugle stage.
Just posted water test. I know the phosphates are high but nothing else is wrong. I have algae because of them and am pulling algae from the tank every other day. The algae growth has almost stopped and I am at this point just pulling the rest out of the tank. The tank is just over a year old and I’ve had problems the entire time with phosphates. I’ve tried tons of different bacteria and cleaning methods but none seem to work. It’s an AIO.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted water test. I know the phosphates are high but nothing else is wrong. I have algae because of them and am pulling algae from the tank every other day. The algae growth has almost stopped and I am at this point just pulling the rest out of the tank. The tank is just over a year old and I’ve had problems the entire time with phosphates. I’ve tried tons of different bacteria and cleaning methods but none seem to work. It’s an AIO.
Your test result is like 2 months old so not relevant. For LPS you want nitrates at 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1. Low to moderate flow depending on the coral and 100 to 250 par depending on the LPS coral.

If you have a GHA outbreak cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites. Get diverse cleaner crew with tuxedo urchin and turbo. Lots of manual removal with weekly water changes and increase magnesium to 1500

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's easy to fix phosphates - just do water changes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your test result is like 2 months old so not relevant. For LPS you want nitrates at 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1. Low to moderate flow depending on the coral and 100 to 250 par depending on the LPS coral.

If you have a GHA outbreak cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites. Get diverse cleaner crew with tuxedo urchin and turbo. Lots of manual removal with weekly water changes and increase magnesium to 1500
I would ask you Lavey - the sun is 'white light'. So on the surface - doesn't make sense. It's a nutrient issue IMHO. However you're right IMHO - Cutting lights without increasing water changes will not work.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are attaching a level test from a couple of months ago, that test seems to have been done by some lfs in your area, so you should try to get your own tests and use them on your tank routinely to get an exact check from your reef tank, just my humble opinion.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask you Lavey - the sun is 'white light'. So on the surface - doesn't make sense. It's a nutrient issue IMHO. However you're right IMHO - Cutting lights without increasing water changes will not work.
Nutrients are always the first thing to consider with lights and flow secondary. To much light euphyllia receed. Not enough light euphyllia extend and reach. Corals don't need or use white light. It's for our viewing pleasure and can help elevate par if that is needed. I recently discovered how even though I thought my flow was moderate my euphyllia were struggling. Went I decreased down so I had low flow on the bottom LPS took off with growth. I keep my MP40s 3 inches below the surface so my SPS still get nice mixed flow by corals like my hammers at the bottom get low flow which resulted in 2 heads now 6 heads in past few months.

So to answer your question, yes Nutrients first then focus on lights and flow if corals still struggling.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy to fix phosphates - just do water changes.
Water changes actually do very little to lower phosphates because it's bound in the rocks and sand. Whatever amount you remove in the water exchange is quickly replenish with leaching phosphates from rock and sand. Certain chemical media obviously help but modifying the intake amount you add to the tank is essential along with good export via skimmer. Fuge, etc... a lot of tanks run perfectly with elevated phosphates. I think it depends on your nitrates levels and having enough corals to support the higher level and an established biome that can deter nuisance algae even though the level is elevated. Mine read .22. Today.

Back