OP
OP
S

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got him delivered late thursday. have tried clam on the have shell, frozen bloodworms, mysis, brine shrimp with garlic. he seems very chill and happy. nobody is bothering him. i know they are finicky and just wondered when to panic :rolleyes:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my first CBB! Super excited but nervous. can anyone tell me how long they can go without eating before you start getting worried? :thinking-face:
If he pecks at the rock I wouldn’t be too worried yet, it’s when they show obvious visual signs of skinniness that you want to start worrying.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you need to QT these guys for best chance of survival.
While its in QT you then try to get it to eat without competition, and you can flip all sorts of food.

I assume you just dropped in your main DT, which maybe difficult.

I so want a CBB, but i know i would most likely kill it. Its like when i look at powder blue tangs, and achilies tangs. I know i'll get a ich explosion even after i QT'd, just because i have the worst luck with fishes, so as much as i want one, i will probably never own one.

Anyhow GL on your CBB, they are beautiful fishes... that and the Moorish Idol have always been something i wanted, but know id gaurentee kill them.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you need to QT these guys for best chance of survival.
While its in QT you then try to get it to eat without competition, and you can flip all sorts of food.

I assume you just dropped in your main DT, which maybe difficult.
Funny... I felt it was the opposite. I added a non-eating CBB to my DT because I knew I had enough "stuff" in my tank that he would feel right at home until he acclimated. He picked for a few days then the aptasia started to disappear. I feel he picks 24/7 on the rocks but now he eats frozen mysis and other meaty foods. I feel he is one step away from flake because he gets so excited when I feed it but doesn’t know what to do with it.
Side note. I think at first he would not eat out of the water column, but when the food would land in the rocks he would eat it then.
IMG_1966.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see him pecking at the rocks it will give you some extra time, but IME they can’t survive long term that way.
I got my CBB to start eating live white worms, which I had to feed him for about a year before he started eating frozen. If you can get live worms that is the best bet to get him to start eating. Since you bought him quarantined then reach out to where you got him and see what they were feeding him.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. you think i have enough time? how long do you think it can go without eating?
Depends. Mine came from lfs. Had been there a while. Had some weight. Many are thin already depending on the source. I would worry after 3-4 days if its already thin it may just not eat. Do you have pics? I think the worms are overnighted or 2 day.

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that was pre QT?

He looks kinda skinny, and the rear tail looks kinda rough.

Where did you get the QT done at?
Id shoot them a email and ask what they fed it while they were doing QT.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a healthy reef. If he is pecking at the rocks I guess he will get the food he need. I wouldn't worry

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back