Checkerboard Wrasse with others?

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon mixed reef. I currently have a Checkerboard Wrasse who’s a good size maybe 5” and a mystery wrasse. I just noticed I have monti eating nudis so I’d I’d like to add a couple more wrasses. Will 2 or 3 yellow coris wrasses get along ok with what I have? What other wrasses would be compatible that may help eat the nudis? I know they won’t be a cure but I’m hoping they’ll help.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkerboards are nasty. I wouldn’t risk them with other wrasse unless they are similarly mean.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he may have killed my leopard wrasse. It I am not sure. The leopard was tiny when I added him he seemed ok but died after two days. Not sure if the checkerboard was responsible or not I didn’t see the checkerboard chase the leopard but who knows. I have one yellow a fairy and a Melanarus on order from Dr Reefs. I really hope it goes well. I’d love to catch the checkerboard but he’s smart. I tried once before to catch him when he was impaled through the mouth with a vermentid and had no luck.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he may have killed my leopard wrasse. It I am not sure. The leopard was tiny when I added him he seemed ok but died after two days. Not sure if the checkerboard was responsible or not I didn’t see the checkerboard chase the leopard but who knows. I have one yellow a fairy and a Melanarus on order from Dr Reefs. I really hope it goes well. I’d love to catch the checkerboard but he’s smart. I tried once before to catch him when he was impaled through the mouth with a vermentid and had no luck.
Sorry about your loss!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There never seems to be a middle ground between wrasses. They either completely ignore each other, or it’s all-out war.
I currently have 15 wrasse and I would disagree. There are the extreme ends but a lot in the middle. One of the reasons people mix similar species is to get the semi aggressive displays and I have a lot of these medium aggressions. Short chases and dive bombs are common in a wrasse dominant tank.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 15 wrasse and I would disagree. There are the extreme ends but a lot in the middle. One of the reasons people mix similar species is to get the semi aggressive displays and I have a lot of these medium aggressions. Short chases and dive bombs are common in a wrasse dominant tank.
For sure. I was thinking more when a new one is added.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back