Chemiclean the key to healthy zoas

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used this as a treatment for my tank before with great success with my zoas. The box says it is safe for beneficial bacteria. My guess is that this is not a broad spectrum medication.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first zoas. When you say iodine do you mean over the counter at the pharmacy? And how much per gallon? I have a 130gl tank. And same for amino. Where do I get it and how much per gallon? Thanks

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first zoas. When you say iodine do you mean over the counter at the pharmacy? And how much per gallon? I have a 130gl tank. And same for amino. Where do I get it and how much per gallon? Thanks
I think he means the iodine you can buy at like petco or other lfs. I've seen bottles made by Kent.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for "lugol's iodine coral dip". It's like 2 drops per cup or something similar.

ttmtven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an outbreak of cyano recently.
1. I tried removing cyano manually by siphoning and vacuum at first but it can be very tedious. You can't get to every single spot in the tank and this is only where you can visually spot them. They grow quicker than I can remove them n they even covered some of my zoas. My Goby died choking on the cyano.
2. Tried the light method but after 2 days of no light, most of my corals closed up completely which scared me.
3. Did a water change but that didn't help. I
4. Decided to use Chemiclean using the dosage on the back. Skimmer off for 2 days. 3rd day skimmer back on, performed 40% water change. All the corals that were closed since the cyano outbreak and during the light method are opening up more.
I'm not saying Chemiclean works for everyone cuz the ecological system is different in everyone's tank but it works in mine. Im not a fan of adding chemical to the main tank as a treatment but this one is safe on corals n fishes.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone in this thread tell me..

When you write about chemi clean - which product are you talking about?

Did you dose accordingly to the instructions on the box or something custom?

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone in this thread tell me..

When you write about chemi clean - which product are you talking about?

Did you dose accordingly to the instructions on the box or something custom?
Heyah, it is advertised as red slime remover. Very small container as this is kinda antibiotic aiming at these bacs. It is medicine so should be used only as such.

1679484804556.png

I used it in my tanks and when blackout method affects all photosynthesis in the tank, chemiclean works best when you have carbon out and you ensure oxygen levels stay high. Then larger water change after two-three days and keep an eye on parameters as cyano is everywhere. One of the cures I was really impressed with.

Last edited:

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyah, it is advertised as red slime remover. Very small container as this is kinda antibiotic aiming at these bacs. It is medicine so should be used only as such.

1679484804556.png

I used it in my tanks and when blackout method affects all photosynthesis in the tank, chemiclean works best when you have carbon out and you ensure oxygen levels stay high. Then larger water change after two-three days and keep an eye on parameters as cyano is everywhere. One of the cures I was really impressed with.
Thank you.
I dont use carbon.
I want to dose a specific part of my cultivation system. Would it be enough to close of that part and dose and afterwards open up and dilute the dosage in the entire system?

It isnt easy to make water changes in this system. Never do.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
I dont use carbon.
I want to dose a specific part of my cultivation system. Would it be enough to close of that part and dose and afterwards open up and dilute the dosage in the entire system?

It isnt easy to make water changes in this system. Never do.
If you don’t it will take a long time for your skimmer to come back online.. run lots of carbon also to clear it out..

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t it will take a long time for your skimmer to come back online.. run lots of carbon also to clear it out..

yeap, active carbon back to the basket on day two/three and a large water change and you are laughing at those swamp smelling monsters :)Airing is important when your tank is heavily infected, as chemiclean will kill bacs qucikly causing a lot of dead matter to decompose in the tank.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeap, active carbon back to the basket on day two/three and a large water change and you are laughing at those swamp smelling monsters :)Airing is important when your tank is heavily infected, as chemiclean will kill bacs qucikly causing a lot of dead matter to decompose in the tank.
1 spoon each 10 gallons.. First 12 hours no effect at all.

Counting 24 hours - 18:00 - polyps that looked bad still looks bad but everything else looks better.

Would it be a bad idea to add 1-2 extra spoons to give it a kick?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow the dust off the threads every once and a while! Good to update old outdated information! Use chemiclean responsibly ! Before it no longer works, or they stop allowing us to use it. just ask countries like the UK , CAN and AU, im sure there are more but so far the US is lucky with the tools at our disposal, let's be responsible and think bigger picture rather than just our personal tanks, this product shouldn't have the words maintenance dose anywhere close to its name or use.

So many ways to overcome cyano, test yourself and try to beat it with out antibiotic atomic bombs, don't take the easy route, if it's that bad your doing something wrong. Period

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow the dust off the threads every once and a while! Good to update old outdated information! Use chemiclean responsibly ! Before it no longer works, or they stop allowing us to use it. just ask countries like the UK , CAN and AU, im sure there are more but so far the US is lucky with the tools at our disposal, let's be responsible and think bigger picture rather than just our personal tanks, this product shouldn't have the words maintenance dose anywhere close to its name or use.

So many ways to overcome cyano, test yourself and try to beat it with out antibiotic atomic bombs, don't take the easy route, if it's that bad your doing something wrong. Period
You missunderstand.

I dont dose this to prevent or treat cyano.. i dose to help zoanthus with a bacterial infection.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back