Choosing to buy a new aquarium: When is it time for a new tank?

When is it time for a new tank?

• It is always time for a new tank.

Votes: 76 32.9%
  • I plan to add a tank soon.

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • I plan to add a tank in the future.

Votes: 59 25.5%
  • I have no plans to get another tank.

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • Only if and when my current tank needs to be replaced

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Whether it is a adding another tank or a replacement tank – for many reef keepers there is the consideration of a new tank. For some it is a lingering thought in the back of their minds and for others it is a pressing desire. The limitation may be time, money, space, permission, or some other factor. Although it is possible that you have decided that you have your forever tank or tanks and have no interest in ever adding more, many of us think about adding a new tank (even if it never happens). It is also possible that we are required to make aquarium changes because of an equipment failure, move, or other unanticipated happening. When you are thinking through the decision of replacing your current tank or adding another one, how do you determine when is it time for a new tank?

Tigahboy_EmptyTank.jpeg

Photo by @Tigahboy

If you are open to a new aquarium, then make sure that you enter to win the Oceanguard Reef Tank from Aquaforest (along with other great prizes)!!! This giveaway is only available until September 17, 2023 so enter now!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" ~@Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am limited in space in a 1 bedroom condo. I have the SO signed off on a 200 gallon when we buy a house, but that honestly will be a couple years down the line. Im sure I wont have money to spend on tank after buying a house :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Ill have to be content with the upgrade i just did

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks currently ( well responsible for 3 one is my sons. lol).

But I plan to upgrade my 90 tank to a bigger one once I'm somewhat successful with this one. Once the coral grows into nice size colonies and have little issues then i would like a WB 220 or a 150 gal tank.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whether it is a adding another tank or a replacement tank – for many reef keepers there is the consideration of a new tank. For some it is a lingering thought in the back of their minds and for others it is a pressing desire. The limitation may be time, money, space, permission, or some other factor. Although it is possible that you have decided that you have your forever tank or tanks and have no interest in ever adding more, many of us think about adding a new tank (even if it never happens). It is also possible that we are required to make aquarium changes because of an equipment failure, move, or other unanticipated happening. When you are thinking through the decision of replacing your current tank or adding another one, how do you determine when is it time for a new tank?

Tigahboy_EmptyTank.jpeg

Photo by @Tigahboy

If you are open to a new aquarium, then make sure that you enter to win the Oceanguard Reef Tank from Aquaforest (along with other great prizes)!!! This giveaway is only available until September 17, 2023 so enter now!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" ~@Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
I'm thinking about buying a new tank. Getting tired of having 2 and want to put everything into 1 nice sized tank. Just need more space to do it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many know my plan to set up the next big tank which is going to be a beast. I will know what direction I am going as far as that tank which I have secure in the next few weeks and finalize plans

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My upper brace is going to fail, and I wanted something different than what i have now. I went with a custom tank with more gallons. The tank is finished and delivery will happen soon.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My upper brace is going to fail, and I wanted something different than what i have now. I went with a custom tank with more gallons. The tank is finished and delivery will happen soon.
Living risky!
Me too.
I have to talk it over with my attorney before I make any plans for anything new.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm mostly retired, I have time for a new aquarium, but also because I'm mostly retired, I don't have the funds (grin).

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first bought my tank nearly 3 years ago I knew I wanted to upgrade to something larger in time, but it was what I could afford at the time and fit the space available.

Now I'm in a place I own and we have a large wall that can accommodate the tank.
I also have 2 fish in my tank that very much need a larger home so rather than moving them on I'd rather upgrade.

Now I'm currently in the throes of deciding which tank I want and what will work, hoping to come to a decision this weekend and get it underway...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living risky!
Me too.
I have to talk it over with my attorney before I make any plans for anything new.
I have about another week of living on the edge. I have had many tank in my time, I miss Oceanic tanks. I did my research and went with one of the best tank builders out there. I went with a rimless with a coast to coast overflow. By spring of 2024, I should be back in business.

Sorry about your experience, hope you work it out.:)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back