Clam came off the rock and left its foot/flesh behind

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am new to clams. This morning I saw my clam laying on the sand of from his flat plug that I had him. How did this happen, I have no clue. But I notice flesh left behind looked like his foot with a little string attached to the clam. I put him back on the plug. My question is, will he be ok? I know is hard to see but under him you can see flesh on the plug.
Thanks for the help

IMG_3377.jpeg IMG_3376.jpeg IMG_3375.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forget the name (@ISpeakForTheSeas might know), but I believe the strings being left behind is OK/normal. I have had clams leave them behind. Now leaving flesh behind is another thing. I think it depends on how much flesh is left. Either way, not much to be done at this time other than reduce stress and leave it alone.

Keep in mind I am not a clam expert and this is just my opinion.

Bump.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget the name (@ISpeakForTheSeas might know), but I believe the strings being left behind is OK/normal. I have had clams leave them behind. Now leaving flesh behind is another thing. I think it depends on how much flesh is left. Either way, not much to be done at this time other than reduce stress and leave it alone.

Keep in mind I am not a clam expert and this is just my opinion.

Bump.
Yeah, they're called byssal threads - clams can detach them and leave them behind to move around a bit (they're not very mobile when large); they can regrow them, but if they're detaching them, that's generally an indication that something is stressing the clam and needs remedied (it could be flow, lighting, etc.).

I'm not sure on the flesh, though - that's a question for some of the clam experts here on R2R.

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did looked like hairy little things. I have moved it up a little for more light. Not a lot of flow in the area. Flow is at top where my SPS are.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What par is it under, image looks like lighting is not high. Some people keep them in lower light but I have success in 300+ par. The fact that it's moving may mean it isn't getting what it needs in the current location. I am not an expert just sharing what I have learned from being unsuccesfull when I tried keeping them in lower par.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back