Close up Comparison of Browser Vs. Candy Apple REds

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno. That's the thing, I can see the difference. I see it plainly in all of the photos and I don't get why you can't, but obviously I can't argue with what you do or don't see. In person it's perhaps even more obvious, but I can tell a pic of a bowser from a CAR any day. The only one that has thrown me so far is Kien's and now ddiver has brought that particular colony into question. Apparently the colony Kien has pictured was not grown out from the polyp he got from DC, so now i'm curious to see a picture of the polyp mother colony from which they came, but for now I have to say that his pictures look more like a really nice CAR than a Bowser.

just like Zack ,i can see the differences clear as day.When you are dealing with a specie where there are lots of similar morphs i guess you gotta to have that attention to detail...

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, thanks man. Much love to the corals which make my eyes happy.

Okay, here are a couple images I put together quick. I hope Kien doesn't mind me using his pic for a little demonstration. Regardless of whether his are Bowsers or not, I hope that to anyone viewing these that what I am calling into question is obvious. Tell me you can see an obvious difference between the polyps!

I have blown up and pasted first a picture of one of my baby Bowser polyps (right) and then next to it a small polyp from Kien's pictured colony. Next is a picture of two adult polyps, my Bowser on the left. Notice that in both young and adult polyps of Bowsers, the red is in fact only marginal to the polyp and does not cover any significant surface area. I realize that some CARs, including mine at times, can develop a thin ring of yellow after the green and before the red, but this is never the dominant pigment in a CAR. Please don't say they look exactly the same or I'm going to....to....forever ignore these threads and go back to enjoying my Bowsers, CAOs, and CARs in all their SEPERATE glory, in person.

bowsercompshot1.jpg

bowsercompshot2.jpg

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help, Troy. What's the difference between a strawberry shortcake acro and a pink lemonade? They look the same to me. Is there a difference?

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blah!!! haha lmbo!!!! So all the pics ddiver posted are bowsers besides kiens???

I dunno, I wasn't addressing ddiver's posted pics in particular. I just know that Kien's pictures look "off" to me, and I don't mean to stir anything up because he was in fact trying to be helpful posting these pics. But you yourself admit to seeing a difference between a known Bowser and Kien's polyps. I see a difference too and was just asking why.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help, Troy. What's the difference between a strawberry shortcake acro and a pink lemonade? They look the same to me. Is there a difference?

well the pink lemonade has pink polyps depending on lighting it's bright yellow or metallic green...
Short cake way different pink body with a mint green color and white polyps hth haha..;) the coralite structures are also totally different...

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your honest opinion zach what are these????

Without a doubt I would say you have a nice colony of CARs that are being kept in good lighting for them. The yellow band is in fact yellow and not a luminous yellow-orange, and the band is not the dominating color of the polyp. My CARs looked just like this until I recently backed off the lighting a bit and now they are back to being all red and I would never mistake one of them in either state for a Bowser, nice as they are. That's just my honest take and I mean no offense by that and I love my CARs too.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the coralite structures are also totally different...

Hmmm, they both have bumpy structures housing polyps....all the same to me. Metallic green/yellow versus minty green. Gotcha.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that's fine I completely understand and thank you for being honest.... Just really messes with my head that my cars can look identical to a bowser in pics but not be mistaken... Hopefully one day I get my hands on a real legit with linage bowser to see my self this unmistakably difference that everyone talks about.... Thank you for your time....1smile1
I never collected polyps for these reasons I would have got,got if I paid a grand for this colony and was told there bowsers because I can't tell the difference from mine and other pics.... The pics you posted yeah the yellow is missing I get it haha...

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end bro, all you gotta know is that you have some fine polyps that you enjoy looking at (and they are legitimately beautiful) and apparently you can't even see as different from some polyp someone calls a Bowser, so all you have is a reason to be happy!

If I were to be completely honest, I wish that more people would just enjoy and go for the nice polyps like CARs that aren't costing an arm and a leg, but these days people have blinders on for the fad corals, not just zoas, and all they want is the absolute top of the pile from a public opinion standpoint even though it will cost them the most for the least (so to speak). If people started appreciating the more laid-back eye candy, I wouldn't have to keep telling people I won't frag my Bowsers yet! :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed 1,000,000 percent!!!! I was caught up in that fad for a minute with chalices... My new tank has like maybe 4 named pieces the rest are no namers "chalices, sticks, polyps etc" heck I got some orange tipped cloves haha who would have ever thought.... These are what I like and cherish I think there better most of the big names combined haha....;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back