OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after having my Jack-o-lantern leptoseris for almost 5 months to the day...it's one of the few corals that has gone backwards in overall appearance. At times it looks like it has lost some of its flesh, and aside from growin 1-2 extra eyes in the first month of having it, it has NOT progressed at all.

I did have this in a slightly shaded spot, that wasn't high flow by any means, but I"ve gone ahead and relocated it to a new spot that is a bit more shaded with low light, and low flow (per Jason Fox's site reccomendation).

I"m hoping that this helps breath new lift into this coral, as it is one of my all-time favorites.

Here are a few pics before moving it, then it's new spot, and then a close up as to how it looks. I'm hoping over the next month I'm able to see some progress with this coral.

Thanks for looking!

Original Placement (middle right of tank)

IMG_9356.JPG

New Spot (almost dead center of tank, under ledge with indirect lower light and lower flow)

IMG_9358.JPG

IMG_9359.JPG

IMG_9361.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals Posion Envy making some big strides ever since starting Tropic Marin All for Reef.

It's been 2 weeks to the day from when I started dosing, and I can see significant increase in growth in that time across the tank. Here alone you can see the color difference (the new growth tips are very blue (my iPhone doesn't do the best job capturing it), but i person you can really see it.

You can see the added separation of the new corallites at the top of the coral, and at the base, you can see how new polyps are forming and what will most likely be a new branch coming out of the bottom.

Really happy with the growth in this tank...things are really taking off!

20A03262-C724-48E1-B96E-40497B205FEE.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day I'll add to the collection! My second son has shown quite the interest in fish tanks/reefs....In a year I might think about bringing the Deskmate home for him, and get something bigger for the office!

I keep trying to get my father-in-law hooked on the hobby too. He shows an interest....but shy on pulling the trigger!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my weekly water change today, and overall everything went well.

IMG_9406.JPG

My emerald crab that I purchased back at the end of december has kicked the bucket (second one that died on me), so my bubble algae is still running unchecked. Everytime I drop the water level for my water change, I try and scrape off as many as possible (without popping them), and taking them out of the tank!

I was also able to snap off quite a few vermatid snails off of the rocks, and then my little blue leg hermits went to work on them...hopefully actually killing them.

Today I dropped the water level just about an extra 1/2" that exposed my fox flame this time, and it was NOT happy with it. A few of the tips that were yellow have turned white. Not really sure why as I know acros are fine being out of the water for a bit....but I'm sure they'll come back better than ever.

IMG_9404.JPG

Overall tank is doing great, and although you won't be able to see the colors like I see them in person, all the colors are popping really well. The bleached out areas that I had on the top of my front favia war coral has fully healed and is fully covered again (I truly believe this was b/c I had the intensity of the Radion G4 too high).

My zoa's have never been happier (I believe this is to be attributed to my All for Reef dosing). I've ready many other reefers state that their zoa's started opening much more consistently once they started dosing, and I can attest to this as well.
IMG_9410.JPG IMG_9409.JPG IMG_9408.JPG IMG_9407.JPG

My meteor shower cyphastrea is taking off like crazy! The bleached area on the top (where the original 3 polyps were from my original frag is starting to color up green again, and honestly has become an encrusting monster!

IMG_9405.JPG

The Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern is starting to recoup itself as well. I moved it into a shaded alcove that doesn't have direct light, and it seems to be doing much better. YOu can see that it's already grown back flesh on its skeleton, and the eyes on it are looking better than last week.

IMG_9414.JPG

As always, thanks for looking!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if any of you of you use instagram, but I decided to start a little account for my Deskmate. Something I can post pictures and reels on from time to time of the tank. A quick was for a data dump!

@AmericanNanoReefer

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston....WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

Picked up emerald crab #3 & 4 today. A bigger one (pictures), and a slightly smaller one. Looksl ike I finally hit the jackpot on 2 emeralds that love their bubble algae! After about 15 minutes, the big guy honed in on an area with bubbles, and is going to town! These two seem to be pretty active, and hopefully they won't kick the bucket quickly like the other 2 i had gotten.

IMG_9536.jpg

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emeralds never ate the bubble algae. Wish they did. I sometimes manually remove during water changes.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice variety of corals!
How many ml of All for Reef are you dosing in your tank daily assuming there is about 4gal of water

Thanks, I appreciate it! Around April I'm planning to get some more....got my eye on a JF Slow burn monti, possibly another chalice, some more zoas and more colorful lords!

I does 1mL (13 drops from the bottle) Monday-Friday. I dose it manually. On the weekends I"m not in the office, so on Mondays I give 15 drops!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emeralds never ate the bubble algae. Wish they did. I sometimes manually remove during water changes.
I know it's hit or miss with them. The first 2 kicked the bucket inside of a week. They were also very lethargic from the time i got them (never really moved and just hung out in the caves in the back.

Both of these guys went to town picking at the rock and bubble algae within 30 minutes of being in the tank!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tossed in 2 bumble bee snails (hopefully to take out the vermatid snails I have in the display, and re-seeded the tank with a bottle of Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These zoa's have TAKEN OFF ever since I started dosing All for Reef.

The orange zoa's have created 2-3 more polyps in the past month, and they are now all FULLY OPEN, all the time! Previously they were never always open, and never as full as they are now!

Other zoa's in the tank are doing phenomenal as well....definitely a big increase across healthiness across the board on all corals (much more sps encrusting and color), but my zoa's have specifically gotten healthier!

IMG_9553.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about 10 days...I went and moved the jack-o-lantern again.

It was healing it self, but the colors really weren't popping. I believe it was in too much of an alcove where it was too shaded.

I moved it down just a bit on the rock, but now it's getting a mixture of direct and indirect light. I moved it on Friday, and when I came into the office today, I can already see that "highlighter" orange color coming back! Now I'm going to leave it and see how it goes for the next few months.

Here's a wide shot, and a close up cropped shot from this morning.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9568.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9568.JPG
    IMG_9568.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my weekly water change....and dang I"ve gotta say the tank looks good!

New growth of bubble algae is definitely less than weeks past, and I attribute this to the 2 emeralds that are constantly foraging throughout the tank.

Pictures here don't do it justice (one day i'll get an orange lense). I will say my UC Fascination Favia has absolutely WILD colors under blues! The yellows and greens with the red centers....INSANITY!

IMG_9581.jpg

Also caught my bigger emerald in the act of tear bubble algae to shreds!

IMG_9582.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back