Coral Boring Spionid Worms- Anybody Killed them?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some of my own. Hoping anybody’s had some success…might give Interceptor a try. Quite sad about this.
I can’t believe they get into LPS. Gezz.

They’re in every single acro I have. Some are stunted because they’re in the skeleton, but others are ok because they’re just in the base.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe they get into LPS. Gezz.

They’re in every single acro I have. Some are stunted because they’re in the skeleton, but others are ok because they’re just in the base.
So they spread in your tank pretty quickly? Should I toss the hammer frag I got to avoid infestation?

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting note however, I left the torches in my frag tank while setting up a QT and the sexy shrimp I've got in there has been meticulously walking around picking at and eating from the skeleton for the past 7 hours. I had to move the torch to the back so I can't get a good look right now at whether he's been able to get at the worms but he's definitely trying.

I'll forgive his sins of popping some of my hammers in the DT if he's able to flush out some of these little jerks. Heck, I'll build him a little shrimp castle. He can have all the cyclops he wants til the end of his days!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they spread in your tank pretty quickly? Should I toss the hammer frag I got to avoid infestation?
If they’re in that, they’re probably already in there. I think a lot of people have them, but don’t know it. I saw them in Jake Adams tanks and ReefBum. ReefBum’s tank is growing pretty amazingly, but they were still able to stunt some corals in there. My corals are growing well too, but some of the smaller frags that have them are stunted. I have a Walt Disney frag with them and it’s doing nothing while every other corals in the tank as doubled in size. Larger mini colonies tolerate them better. When they bore into the skeletons, they form little tunnels which basically start to kill the skeletons from the inside. After it gets worse, the coral slows down in growth and “appears” to be happy, but will never grow at the same rate or reach colony size. It doesn’t happen to all of them, but the corals that get them bad are done. Your best bet is get some liquid ivermectin and start experimenting for us. I’ll be doing my experiment soon. However, this will not help encrusted colonies on the rocks. Only corals that are able to be removed from the system.

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re in that, they’re probably already in there. I think a lot of people have them, but don’t know it. I saw them in Jake Adams tanks and ReefBum. ReefBum’s tank is growing pretty amazingly, but they were still able to stunt some corals in there. My corals are growing well too, but some of the smaller frags that have them are stunted. I have a Walt Disney frag with them and it’s doing nothing while every other corals in the tank as doubled in size. Larger mini colonies tolerate them better. When they bore into the skeletons, they form little tunnels which basically start to kill the skeletons from the inside. After it gets worse, the coral slows down in growth and “appears” to be happy, but will never grow at the same rate or reach colony size. It doesn’t happen to all of them, but the corals that get them bad are done. Your best bet is get some liquid ivermectin and start experimenting for us. I’ll be doing my experiment soon. However, this will not help encrusted colonies on the rocks. Only corals that are able to be removed from the system.

Interesting. My assumption, considering the rate at which they appear to multiply, even on a larger time scale, is fairly slow (not within 72 hours, at least). Would be surprising to me for them to be reproducing that quickly and outside of the host skeleton they've been found on.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure they like to move in the water column and I’ve read they don’t really lay eggs on the exterior, though I’m not sure if that’s true. I placed the frag on plug in the middle of the sand and that’s when I first noticed. I couldn’t see the, at the LFS with the lighting there. There was like no hitchhikers too after I dipped in RX.

I think I’m still early in introducing it to be able to remove the coral and not have it leave any worms.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure they like to move in the water column and I’ve read they don’t really lay eggs on the exterior, though I’m not sure if that’s true. I placed the frag on plug in the middle of the sand and that’s when I first noticed. I couldn’t see the, at the LFS with the lighting there. There was like no hitchhikers too after I dipped in RX.

I think I’m still early in introducing it to be able to remove the coral and not have it leave any worms.

I’m not sure how they move around the tank. I’d love to know that. Although in the right conditions they absolutely explode. I’m assuming they’re laying eggs or divide. Who knows.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_1215.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These turds have survived Bayer, Coral RX Pro, KCI, and Exodus dip.

They apparently retract into their tubes, and back into the coral skeleton where they apparently are safe from the medications.

Below I will post some pictures for reference. The first pic is mine, but the others are just random pics I found so forgive me if this is one of your pictures. I would give photo credit, but I do not remember where I got them. I am still unsure exactly what these are, but the picture that has the red circle is for sure what I have in a few corals. I’m not completely sure that all these pics have the same exact species, but it looks pretty close. When I first noticed mine, they were at the base of the coral in the first pic. They formed several like brown spikes or tubes. I broke them all off, and instantly dipped that coral in Bayer and Coral RX. Thought for sure I got them only to see them come out 3-5 days later. So I fragged the LT branch off that frag and remounted it. So far so good and it’s encrusting the rock. Has good color. Hoping I fragged it high enough.

If you know a medication or treatment that will smoke these guys, please post up. Some of my corals basically started to grow slower, and will probably quit progressing all together. I believe they basically stunt the growth over time and in some cases kill the host coral. Likely a slow death and one of those corals that sits and just doesn’t grow or do well.

They appear to put out the two tentacles as filter feeders. IDK. Anyway, I have that first frag on the plug to test with so let me know.

051C1831-B6AE-41A3-9050-2D3094FECE85.jpeg
CC681FD0-BABD-439B-8060-3447950BAB98.jpeg
5ABCA8DA-1305-4F5B-9394-17D0591F94DC.jpeg
21409ADB-4C97-4901-BDD4-95DE0A3D7999.jpeg
F4CDC1AA-AC30-4B40-BF3D-3A2ED2DD5C2A.png
E749362F-BBEB-4A83-923D-B13E5C705066.jpeg
78015314-AF12-4D37-A526-0FBE25E58AAE.jpeg
0C203D2D-0D1F-469F-A8D5-2A702DE28480.jpeg
994DFB47-9A25-49BC-99C3-3A174790594E.jpeg
9B985882-B54D-4D60-A8C0-BE5322D27F29.jpeg
I picked up a platygyra with one in it, dosent seem to bother the coral, it just encrusted over the tube, unfortunately that worm spawned in my tank, thank goodness its the only one in my system, probably wolnt see more popping up. I should also mention that there's two dead ones in my wilsoni

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know how they reproduce yet?
Depends a bit on the species, but:
Yeah, they actively bore into the coral/rock for at least part of the tunneling process (see the links below*). If I recall correctly, they use chemicals and their specialized chaetae (their bristles) to tunnel.

I can’t remember the paper I read discussing their reproduction at the moment, but, if I recall correctly, at least a few species actually do reproduce in the tunnels and the young dig their way out, exacerbating the damage to the rock/coral. I’ll try to post the reference and it if I can find it again.

* The links:
I don’t know if this is the one I read before or a different one, but I found one:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so is it safe to say that if the skeleton of the coral is not touching anything around, the worms will stay on the specific coral only?
Probably not - I'd imagine that once the coral starts getting too crowded, some of the worms will leave to colonize other places/corals.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not - I'd imagine that once the coral starts getting too crowded, some of the worms will leave to colonize other places/corals.
So they can swim in the water column? Or would they crawl through the substrate and climb the rocks? It seems they never want to leave their holes.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they can swim in the water column? Or would they crawl through the substrate and climb the rocks? It seems they never want to leave their holes.
At least some species can swim - I imagine most would prefer to stay protected by the substrate/rocks though. If they run out of space in the coral, though, then I'd personally expect some to leave to find new places to colonize (be it through swimming or crawling).

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least some species can swim - I imagine most would prefer to stay protected by the substrate/rocks though. If they run out of space in the coral, though, then I'd personally expect some to leave to find new places to colonize (be it through swimming or crawling).
I tried to find what I can on that species. It might be something different as the pictures (very few) I was able to come across don’t show these having the antenna.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-regenerating-lost-parts-after_fig4_248716434

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how they move around the tank. I’d love to know that. Although in the right conditions they absolutely explode. I’m assuming they’re laying eggs or divide. Who knows.

Pretty much all of the literature that I have come across related to boring spionids tends to describe them as reproducing sexually or asexually. They gestate with eggs but most species hold onto their eggs until they're ready to hatch. Some, like in the links above will deposit their eggs in their tunnel wall and I haven't seen any described as letting loose their eggs in the water column. The larvae appear to be very weak and so they tend to brood with their young in the tunnel as they can protect them by quickly producing large amounts of mucus. So the female would have to get over to a new coral to start breeding. This isn't true of all tunneling species but it is the predominant reproduction method. They have huge spawning events but again, because of the tendency to brood, one would believe that they do not spread to other substrates very quickly.

Also: spawning appears to be triggered in the spring and fall with changes in water temperature. This has at least been noted with species found typically in mollusc hatcheries.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so is it safe to say that if the skeleton of the coral is not touching anything around, the worms will stay on the specific coral only?

They will not stay in one coral. They multiply everywhere in the tank and are in 90% of my corals. Some only at the base. They have a significant impact when they begin to bore into the Skelton. They also get on the edges of rocks. Even in the middle of the rocks, but more at the edges. My corals in the middle of the scape were less likely to get them, but some still got them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back