Coral Boring Spionid Worms- Anybody Killed them?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure this lower dose got them as well, but I didn’t think so at the time of the video because they didn’t come out. I believe they died inside the coral skeleton.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI…see video descriptions.

The dose that worked the best was 4-6 drops per 473 mL (1/8 gallon). I used a 1mL syringe for the drops. The worms were dead in approximately 30 minutes, but Ivermectin seems to be well tolerated by acro’s, so I would even do 45 minutes to 1 Hr to be safe.

The first video I used 2-4 drops to 473mL for 1 Hr and it seemed to be really gentle on the Walt Disney frag. PE was much better shortly after the dip.

IMG_1239.jpeg

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Finally got them!

Fantastic news! I'm hoping to give my torch a shot in the next couple days. Fortunately, no signs of spread but I've kept my temps pretty stable and relegated to the frag tank which is otherwise mostly mushrooms. Going to give Exodus a try first then maybe Ivermectin. Do LPS tolerate Ivermectin? Either way, LPS have a lot more options than SPS from my research. I've even got sacks of magnesium chloride and potassium chloride ready to give a shot as well.

Just watched the video and dang those guys are big! I forgot the burrows and their bodies are multiple lengths of their antenna. Did you try suctioning them out with a pipette or syringe with the low dose? I'm curious if that would've helped reveal what the efficacy was at that dose

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic news! I'm hoping to give my torch a shot in the next couple days. Fortunately, no signs of spread but I've kept my temps pretty stable and relegated to the frag tank which is otherwise mostly mushrooms. Going to give Exodus a try first then maybe Ivermectin. Do LPS tolerate Ivermectin? Either way, LPS have a lot more options than SPS from my research. I've even got sacks of magnesium chloride and potassium chloride ready to give a shot as well.

Just watched the video and dang those guys are big! I forgot the burrows and their bodies are multiple lengths of their antenna. Did you try suctioning them out with a pipette or syringe with the low dose? I'm curious if that would've helped reveal what the efficacy was at that dose

I’ve tired Exodus and KCI. Neither worked. Not sure how LPS tolerate Ivermectin. It appears to be pretty gentle on Acro’s.

Next time I plan to extract them to see exactly what the look like. The antennas are clear and smaller. The worms themselves seem to be a darker brown/black color. I’d love to get one under my microscope.

I do plan to try Praziquantel, and I’m curious about interceptor, because if I remember correctly, somebody used it and said it wiped out all their Spionid worms. That could actually be used in-tank.

Ivermectin will be hard to use in-tank, because it kills Pods, Stomatella snails, (probably other snails and maybe even Vermetid snails), and I think shrimp. So if it wipes out all these critters at one time, it could cause a large nutrient spike or ammonia spike which could nuke all the SPS. This may be able to be combated with something like Dr. Tim’s One and Only coupled with water changes or similar. Not sure. It would likely be similar to adding uncured LR to your system. The die off in the rock will cause ammonia and nutrients to rise.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where’d you get the ivermectin?

You can get it anywhere online. They all seem to have 40% glycerol formal, and propylene glycol, q.s. ad 100% in addition to 1% Ivermectin, so I don’t think brand will matter too much.

I got mine here, it was about the cheapest I could find:

Each mL of AGRI-MECTIN contains 10 mg of ivermectin, sufficient to treat 75 lb of body weight.

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tired Exodus and KCI. Neither worked. Not sure how LPS tolerate Ivermectin. It appears to be pretty gentle on Acro’s.

Next time I plan to extract them to see exactly what the look like. The antennas are clear and smaller. The worms themselves seem to be a darker brown/black color. I’d love to get one under my microscope.

I do plan to try Praziquantel, and I’m curious about interceptor, because if I remember correctly, somebody used it and said it wiped out all their Spionid worms. That could actually be used in-tank.

Ivermectin will be hard to use in-tank, because it kills Pods, Stomatella snails, (probably other snails and maybe even Vermetid snails), and I think shrimp. So if it wipes out all these critters at one time, it could cause a large nutrient spike or ammonia spike which could nuke all the SPS. This may be able to be combated with something like Dr. Tim’s One and Only coupled with water changes or similar. Not sure. It would likely be similar to adding uncured LR to your system. The die off in the rock will cause ammonia and nutrients to rise.
Oh interesting, I thought I saw one of them in your latest video but maybe that was just some funky looking mucus. Thanks for the testing!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember. Whatever the highest magnification the amscope can go. 1000x?

There’s some different species, one is bigger. But that could be some. They definitely have the two tentacles.

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of some delayed decline with some treatment methods. Curious how your acros are holding up now a few days later.

As an aside, I'm very curious about what makes some methods stick and others not. The ability to produce massive amounts of mucus to protect from poisoning seems to be their biggest defense. Seems like intense, sustained agitation would help (which I notice is a big difference in how you've applied the treatment than some other people) and maybe a two or three stage dip. This wouldn't help those that need whole-tank treatments, but would at least be a tool. I'll try to document as best I can my attempts.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back