Coral Boring Spionid Worms- Anybody Killed them?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where u guys getting interceptor and ivermectin at? Thanks

It’s a couple posts up.

You can get it anywhere online. They all seem to have 40% glycerol formal, and propylene glycol, q.s. ad 100% in addition to 1% Ivermectin, so I don’t think brand will matter too much.

I got mine here, it was about the cheapest I could find:

Each mL of AGRI-MECTIN contains 10 mg of ivermectin, sufficient to treat 75 lb of body weight.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of some delayed decline with some treatment methods. Curious how your acros are holding up now a few days later.

As an aside, I'm very curious about what makes some methods stick and others not. The ability to produce massive amounts of mucus to protect from poisoning seems to be their biggest defense. Seems like intense, sustained agitation would help (which I notice is a big difference in how you've applied the treatment than some other people) and maybe a two or three stage dip. This wouldn't help those that need whole-tank treatments, but would at least be a tool. I'll try to document as best I can my attempts.
It looks like he waits until the worms show and hang out in the flow with his magnet spinner and then when they’re all out he doses them instantly as the magnet mixes the potency.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of some delayed decline with some treatment methods. Curious how your acros are holding up now a few days later.

As an aside, I'm very curious about what makes some methods stick and others not. The ability to produce massive amounts of mucus to protect from poisoning seems to be their biggest defense. Seems like intense, sustained agitation would help (which I notice is a big difference in how you've applied the treatment than some other people) and maybe a two or three stage dip. This wouldn't help those that need whole-tank treatments, but would at least be a tool. I'll try to document as best I can my attempts.

My frags are still doing well. The Walt Disney is looking even better now. More PE for sure.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he waits until the worms show and hang out in the flow with his magnet spinner and then when they’re all out he doses them instantly as the magnet mixes the potency.

I already had 4 drops in there to 473mL of tank water. They come out because of the medication. If it’s not in there, they won’t come out. In the video I dose 2 extra drops because I was curious how they would react since they were sticking out. It seems to be really mild on the acros. Haven’t had any issues at all. Both frags look better after the dips.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walt Disney getting better. Lighting was bad, early in the AM after the lights had only been on for about 1 hr or so.

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant find any info on using it for Hammers or Torches. Anyone experiment with LPS?
For the most part, LPS are typically more resilient to most of the treatment methods that have been offered. Including some methods that are generally discussed less because they end up in die off for SPS (such as magnesium salts).

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actuall6 conducted the Ivermectin treatment using the method @Reefahholic outlined for his Acropora. My hammer and Acan look great this morning. No sign of spionids. I may post more on this as i did video but am working with Reefahholic at the moment. Thanks for your reply.

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actuall6 conducted the Ivermectin treatment using the method @Reefahholic outlined for his Acropora. My hammer and Acan look great this morning. No sign of spionids. I may post more on this as i did video but am working with Reefahholic at the moment. Thanks for your reply.
I'd love to work on some kind of guide for dealing with these guys. I'm planning on fragging my torch and quarantining the infested skeleton remainders for some testing. My plan is to try a matrix of testing methods and document the results. Information on them and their treatment in aquaria is sparse, at best. Would be interested in putting together something better, if nothing else so some garage fraggers don't start spreading them through the hobby because they can't treat them and are unwilling to not sell them.

To that last point, I've noticed a much higher occurence of people showing up in these threads this year that have, to this point, had very few people in them. Concerning!

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality of the video isnt that great from last night, but all spionids are dead and both hammer and acans are open and doing great today. Followed the 6 drops ivermectin to 485 mL dosage of @Reefahholic Thanks for all your help.

Savoury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality of the video isnt that great from last night, but all spionids are dead and both hammer and acans are open and doing great today. Followed the 6 drops ivermectin to 485 mL dosage of @Reefahholic Thanks for all your help.
How long did you keep the hammer in the ivermectin for?

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the spionids reating to the meds. They are halfway up the hammer.

Attachments

• Project_11-08(1)_Full HD 1080p_MEDIUM_FR30_(1)_1_001.mp4
    3.6 MB

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have none on this hammer now. The acan and hammer are fully open and doing great post treatment.

Attachments

• 20231109_175102.jpg
    20231109_175102.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231109_175043.jpg
    20231109_175043.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 32

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sadly one of my tanks is being overrun by these and. I am not sure how to manage it. I was thinking of buying 100 bumble bees… they are on my rocks as well.

IMG_2249.jpeg IMG_2245.jpeg

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ivermectin treatment worked well. If you can fit the coral in a container large enough you could at least treat that.
IDK if the bumblebee snails can manage the boring spionids. They are pretty well protected within the coral/rock. But i am not the authority for sure.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep this going - I've seen these on nearly every LPS frag I've come across in stores/shows recently, most people seem to be unaware. I've got them on a few hammer/torches as well, but haven't considered treatment yet as they do appear to be healthy (even if their growth is being stunted).

Unfortunately, what has made me begin to research this again tonight, is that I've now found a few of them on the very top of my rockwork - not near any of the infected LPS. Obviously they've just bored their way up there, but it is making me consider treatment - I'm worried now it's too late and they'll be in there forever unless I can treat the DT with something.

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep this going - I've seen these on nearly every LPS frag I've come across in stores/shows recently, most people seem to be unaware. I've got them on a few hammer/torches as well, but haven't considered treatment yet as they do appear to be healthy (even if their growth is being stunted).

Unfortunately, what has made me begin to research this again tonight, is that I've now found a few of them on the very top of my rockwork - not near any of the infected LPS. Obviously they've just bored their way up there, but it is making me consider treatment - I'm worried now it's too late and they'll be in there forever unless I can treat the DT with something.

If it really is just the top of your rockwork and you can’t pull the rock, I’d give manual removal a try. Chipping them out.

And agreed. I’m seeing a lot more activity around this subject when it was basically non-existent before. I get the feeling one of the larger frag farms may have been sending these little guys out for a while and now chickens are coming home to roost so to speak.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back