Corals to be banned and it will be illigal to own them.

FishyPapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. There's really no economic motivation to pass it so like most of these issues, if it doesn't make money for the govt, it doesn't matter.

typicalwhiteazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be thrown on the back burner again guys and gals. Keep in mind this is a super small fish in the pond to the government right now if you consider everything else they have to worry about right now: gun control laws, trying to pass Obama care, the issues is Syria this will be pushed way way back once again and eventually dismissed IMO.

Who's responsible for officially listing them for enforcement then? In the case that NOAA is the regulartory group then other social/economical issues isnt their problem. if it has to be ratified by Congress then thats different

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

typicalwhiteazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. There's really no economic motivation to pass it so like most of these issues, if it doesn't make money for the govt, it doesn't matter.

Definitly one of the few times that I agree economical gain should trump over conservationist views.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really scary to think about. At the rate the human race is destroying ocean life with molasses and oil, reef farms, fish breeders and hobbyists are about the only hope they have of survival.

FishyPapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really scary to think about. At the rate the human race is destroying ocean life with molasses and oil, reef farms, fish breeders and hobbyists are about the only hope they have of survival.

I agree there. Plus we kill off natural predators and then the reef eating organisms converge and destroy it further.

FishyPapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think of how much money there would be available for these types of things if we would just get out of the wars and mind our own business across the globe.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who's responsible for officially listing them for enforcement then? In the case that NOAA is the regulartory group then other social/economical issues isnt their problem. if it has to be ratified by Congress then thats different

That's the problem this aint going through congress I believe this is a cites issue and this wont be on the back burner.
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ia/agreements/global_agreements/cites_page/cites.html

This is happening, from what I get from other people is they get together on November 30 and they vote which go on and which dont.

Here is the other thing is, once a few are added to the list more will be till we have to have a permit just for our reef. Either it becomes to much of a hassle and we just stop keeping reefs all together because it will be to much work to get permits or How long till they charge for these permit because they say they need money to regulate and enforce this stuff or to help preserve the wild colonies?

Last edited:

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you think that Congress stops everything they do because of some major issues you're wrong. Watch Cspan for a few hours...

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/permits/corals.htm

On the right in the orange box Nov. 30..

From what I understand what ever is decided the federal government has to comply..

What ever is decided will be enforced.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2010-0036

I really thought some vendors would weigh in on this.

If corals were band from collecting that is one thing, there are plenty in the hobby to be farmed. I always thought that would be good for coral farmers and more would pop up because now it becomes more profitable because no more chop shops. This actually will cut the farmer out too....

Take for example giant clams they were collected to near extinction. Collecting was banned. Farms popped up to farm them and look at the availability of clams now and some are being replanted. This cant happen under this act.

My worry is if fish were band that would be bad because we can not raise enough species of fish yet.

also look at the addendum they are already talking about adding more corals..

I really hope some on can stop this... It may take something like this to get people and the industry rialed up to actually fight and get a voice for the hobby though.

If you read the addendum there already talking about more corals being added.

Last edited:

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humans are destroying the corals in the wild. We can actually make them survive in our tanks and grow them out. I think its a bad idea the bill we are losing alot of reefs if we don't do this in a way we will not have any corals left.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian Sprung gave a talk on this subject at MACNA. According to him, we should be very scared. It is real. However, it is based on totally bogus data. it is just a matter of getting them to see the true nature of it.

+1

They are using old data from Charlie Veron (author of Corals of the World and the foremost authority on coral identification). He has come out against this, stating they are misrepresenting his work. Julian talked about Charlie launching a new site with updated data that will contradict the reasoning behind this legislation.

Sadly, it's legislation based on emotion rather than real science. Hopefully Charlie's new data will change the direction of the legislation.

typicalwhiteazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone clarify something with me?.. if tigers are endangered, why are people here in the states allow to acquire/possibly purchase them?.. i ask that 'cause with that same thought process is there at least some way both sides can meet in the middle and allow maricultured pieces to still enter instead of banning importation completely?

Last edited:

fishjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...that's not all the government is banning...government wants complete control over every aspect of your life...little by little they take and they take...people say "oh that's not a big deal" or "that doesn't effect me"...or "that's good for the people"...then one day they wake up and say....where did all our freedom go ???...just remember that government always gets BIGGER...it never gets smaller....we have less freedom than our grandparents did, and our children will have less freedom than we did...people need to pay attention.

JOEfromHAWAII

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Government needs to stop worrying about reefing and start fixing our country's deficit!!!! Can i get an Amen!!! more companies are switching to aquacultured anyways!!! funny how things work!!! i've been serving in our Armed Forces for over 11 years now and there were acouple of times we were told that our pay might be held...but some how we have all this money to fly jets!!!

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's face reality here: if this were to pass, the corals would be regulated. If you possess some of the species on that list then you will have to get a permit or be fined. With being fined, you can attest by being fined, the government is impeding on the survival of an endangered species because they are taking from the funds to maintain those specimens. In turn the government would be causing more harm than good. Also, another viewpoint to see. If the government were to confiscate these corals from your home, that means the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries would need a huge budget increase to safely transport and maintain these delicate life forms. Considering a lot of hobbyists do not stay near the ocean and they will have to return these species to the appropriate place, they would have to setup facilities for billions of corals or simply let them die, which in turn will still cause them to violate the bill. On another note, thousands of jobs will be lost.

So the success rate of this is very slim.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back