Custom 150 Cube 36x36x28

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the word - on its way so week or so!
Very nice!
Nice woodwork cant wait to see this complete. I am in process on a cube as well.
Same here! Working on a 24" cube build. Working on refinishing a stand I picked up free from a local reefer who was getting out of the hobby! Going to try to sand it down and repaint it to match my kitchen island.
Nice what size? I’m still debating what to do with scape. Thinking two large rock formations with a deep crevice in the middle.

IMG_7980.jpeg
I plan on using a caribsea coral tree...they are really cool imo. My lfs sells them and uses them in all their display tanks. With a few pieces of additional liferock to create an island and some additional depth to the scape.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

Same here! Working on a 24" cube build. Working on refinishing a stand I picked up free from a local reefer who was getting out of the hobby! Going to try to sand it down and repaint it to match my kitchen island.

I plan on using a caribsea coral tree...they are really cool imo. My lfs sells them and uses them in all their display tanks. With a few pieces of additional liferock to create an island and some additional depth to the scape.
That is pretty much what I am going to use except I made the "tree" with branch and caribsea

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Sump plumbing is largely done. I still have a separate return for my UV but waiting until I break down my current tank to install that return line. I’ll be making water the next few days and starting to lay out the scape. Just need to plumb the overflow and I’m in business.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally added the top trim on the stand to hide the foam pad etc. starting to draft my scape. Will have to wait until I transfer everything over to finalize with existing rock.

Currently cooking up some RO water. This will likely be the biggest PITA. I’m working on running tubing from my basement (directly below) up into the sump so I can drain and pump up saltwater for easy water changes. This is how I’ll ultimately fill the tank from brutes.

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8243.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Sump plumbing is largely done. I still have a separate return for my UV but waiting until I break down my current tank to install that return line. I’ll be making water the next few days and starting to lay out the scape. Just need to plumb the overflow and I’m in business.
Build is coming together nicely! I am going to try to sand and paint my stand this weekend. It is supposed to be in the mid 60's here on Sunday. Might be the last nice day I have until spring...gotta take advantage of it. And I can't really make any progress on my build until the stand is painted.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my build thread today. Could use your input on my cabinet.

Last edited:

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking forward to this because I’m a huge fan of cube builds. I really like how you built the stand to match the cabinetry. I’d like to play devil’s advocate for a minute though.

There’s no question you have some wood working skills, but with that much weight I’m a bit concerned with how the joists are held in. Besides the plywood you have almost no base to floor support.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love the dims of the tank and the stand looks amazing! With the basement directly below, any reason you didn’t want to run the sump in the basement to give yourself a bigger total volume and space? The 40B feels like it will end up being a bit cramped with the equipment you’ve listed.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the dims of the tank and the stand looks amazing! With the basement directly below, any reason you didn’t want to run the sump in the basement to give yourself a bigger total volume and space? The 40B feels like it will end up being a bit cramped with the equipment you’ve listed.
Thank you - I thought about it for a minute but I feared I’d be over complicating things for myself. Plus, the tank sits right above a steel beam/ wall so the basement access is more of a diagonal downward. Lastly, the room options below is either a workout room/a dedicated home brewery ( both fully finished). No space for a sump even if I wanted too. I was able to get some 5/8 flex tubing to the tank to a small utility space so at least I can set up a mixing station and pump water up and down really easily on demand.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking forward to this because I’m a huge fan of cube builds. I really like how you built the stand to match the cabinetry. I’d like to play devil’s advocate for a minute though.

There’s no question you have some wood working skills, but with that much weight I’m a bit concerned with how the joists are held in. Besides the plywood you have almost no base to floor support.

I think it’s stronger than we all think. I have the plywood doubled up in two spots so it’s very rigid. Everything is glued and screwed with tightbond 3 so the thicker spots are as thick as 2x4s. The cross joist closest to the front is also directly sitting on plywood. I think most 2x4 stands today are wayyyyy overbuilt.

Here is what I based my design off: https://reefbuilders.com/2022/02/14/stands-are-the-most-underrated-gear-of-aquarium-keeping-video/

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s stronger than we all think. I have the plywood doubled up in two spots so it’s very rigid. Everything is glued and screwed with tightbond 3 so the thicker spots are as thick as 2x4s. The cross joist closest to the front is also directly sitting on plywood. I think most 2x4 stands today are wayyyyy overbuilt.

Here is what I based my design off: https://reefbuilders.com/2022/02/14/stands-are-the-most-underrated-gear-of-aquarium-keeping-video/
I do agree that we tend to overbuild. I see the plywood sitting on the cross joints, but what exactly is supporting the cross joints? The only thing I see are the pocket screws and perhaps some glue.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that we tend to overbuild. I see the plywood sitting on the cross joints, but what exactly is supporting the cross joints? The only thing I see are the pocket screws and perhaps some glue.
That’s it - except the front one which is supported by plywood downward. I don’t think each of those need to be supported to the floor? They’re transferring the weight to the sides. I put them in so the top doesn’t sag. I guess I’m putting my faith in the guy in the video.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got things up and running. Have to do some organizing and get my trident all set up again but it’s nice to have this move done. Breaking down the old tank, scrubbing down rocks, and transferring was an 8 hour day!

Still have to clean old equipment/probes and get this tank automated.

B69973C8-BDF7-46BE-9671-54062E6BE615.jpeg

IMG_8262.jpeg

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m finally 99% up and running. Full sump shot below. The picture makes the cord situation look crazier than it is.

Still a few things to organize better but believe it or not everything is fairly accessible. My Uv bulb died after about 6- 8 months of use so waiting on a replacement. I had to get a little creative with my ATO and dosing setup. Luckily my cabinet is connected internally to the right, so I moved my ATO, doser, and containers to a separate cabinet. Given the limited space, I really didn’t have a choice. The good news is it makes a lot more sense anyway so it’s a win on my part. Rather than putting my trident in the cabinet, I moved it up on top next to my router. This will make swapping regents much easier as well. Utilizing the whole cabinet space worked out.

As an aside PSA, I built this stand to hold water in case of an overflow. I accidentally put this to the test while filling the tank. My tube kicked out of the sump and about 10 gallons filled my tank stand. Since I sealed it with caulk/paint, it retained all the water. Could have been a huge mess. Second, I installed a GFCI outlet inside my stand. I had some electric components temporarily sitting on the stand floor and it ultimately tripped my outlet and shut everything off, saving the equipment and potentially a very dangerous situation. GFCI is really important…if you’re on the fence, it’s worth the short investment.

IMG_8273.jpeg

IMG_8274.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back