Cycling New Tank but with Live Rocks from the Ocean?

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. I just got back to the hobby after 30 years(teenage years), and I am basically relearning.

Anyway, I already ordered 2 70gallon tanks with sumps, ssalt, skimmers, etc. I live near the sea, but with 2 tanks, it is a hassle to get sea water directly. So I bought some sea salt mix.

I read a lot about cycling, but I am curious- if I do the usual fishless cycle with sea salt mix + reverse osmosis water, but with live rocks from the ocean, will it shorten the cycle time?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have actual live rock from the ocean, there would be no initial start to the cycle. The bacteria needed already exists on the rock. That being said it depends on how the rock is collected and the path it takes to eventually make its' way into your tank.

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have actual live rock from the ocean, there would be no initial start to the cycle. The bacteria needed already exists on the rock. That being said it depends on how the rock is collected and the path it takes to eventually make its' way into your tank.
Basically from the ocean, to a styrofoam box(with wet cloths), then to my house, now soaked in salt water.

So as soon as I setup my tank - and will check salinity levels of the water, add the live rocks maybe a day or so after, and good to go? I can add fish and anemone?

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically from the ocean, to a styrofoam box(with wet cloths), then to my house, now soaked in salt water.

So as soon as I setup my tank - and will check salinity levels of the water, add the live rocks maybe a day or so after, and good to go? I can add fish and anemone?
Are you just going and getting your own rock?

More or less, set up, if you're starting from scratch I would give it a week before adding any fish as there might be some ammonia for a very short time. But after that week you should be good to go

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't get better than that!
insta-cycle.
I would still go slow in additions.
Are you just going and getting your own rock?

More or less, set up, if you're starting from scratch I would give it a week before adding any fish as there might be some ammonia for a very short time. But after that week you should be good to go
Thanks guys! I live near the sea, and there is an area where there are fishermen, so I asked them to get some in the deeper parts. I will try to upload pics later.

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9634.jpeg

Here are the live rocks directly from the ocean. Fisherman asked $40 for all. I counted 15 pieces(not all in the pic).

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it has water heat and flow it should be fine but I would expect some die off. I'd prepare for maybe a week in tank with proper parameters. Check ammonia levels and probably add fish.

I wont make a comment other than this on the procurement.

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again guys. Already saw 3 small mantis shrimps.

Attachments

• IMG_9656.jpeg
    IMG_9656.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9655.jpeg
    IMG_9655.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9654.jpeg
    IMG_9654.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 62

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like your rock was never out of the water, so it will be fine, no cycle needed. If it is my choice, I would get rocks closer to the surface so there will be corals and stuff hitchhiking on it.
What I with my tank was to trap all the crabs out of my tank. I just don't feed the tank and use vertical glass with shrimp bated on the bottom and put it next to the rock. The crabs follow the scent and crawl in but cannot scale the smooth glass to get out. I am not sure what to do about the mantis. You just have to isolate, bait and remove the mantis. Do it rock by rock to clear these two classes of predators then you are good to go.

I would love to see a built thread on your tank.

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like your rock was never out of the water, so it will be fine, no cycle needed. If it is my choice, I would get rocks closer to the surface so there will be corals and stuff hitchhiking on it.
What I with my tank was to trap all the crabs out of my tank. I just don't feed the tank and use vertical glass with shrimp bated on the bottom and put it next to the rock. The crabs follow the scent and crawl in but cannot scale the smooth glass to get out. I am not sure what to do about the mantis. You just have to isolate, bait and remove the mantis. Do it rock by rock to clear these two classes of predators then you are good to go.

I would love to see a built thread on your tank.
Thanks! Did not know about that- coral hithchikers on live rocks near the surface.

As of the others, mantis yeah, I will get rid and set free on the sea. But are crabs really that bad? Should I get rid of them too?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back