OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We are making progress. My husband extended the laminate flooring, (fortunately we saved the leftover when we laid it for the first tank 10 years ago) but when I push the seahorse tank into place it was right up to the edge where the laminate and carpet met. I knew I could remedy that by moving the coral tank more to the right about 2-3 inches. Uhgggg! That meant taking down some of the rock work and draining about half the tank and most of the sump. It was nerve wracking but I did it, then Dave ( my husband) helped me move the tank about 2". We re-leveled it, rebuilt the rocks and refilled it and everything seems fine. The seahorse tank now fits nicely in the space beside the coral tank. So all is well unless I wake up to a leak! LOL

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made more progress. Yesterday I painted the back of the tank black to match the coral tank. I also built the plexiglass box and decorated it with rubble rock. I bought a small rio pump that will go inside the box with just the output sticking out to provide flow down low in the tank. I will probably have 2 rio pumps there but I need to see how much flow this small rio makes. No seahorse tails will find their way in these pumps. This morning I put the tank in place, filled with water to leak test, added salt and nitrifying bacteria. I also added sand and rock. I will put the multilevel box in the tank tomorrow when the silicon sealant is fully cured so that it be part of the tank cycle. I am so excited about aquascaping this tank. So let the cycle begin!!!

Attachments

• 100_8800.jpg
    100_8800.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 723
  • 100_8802.jpg
    100_8802.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 697

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay!!! I really like that fake gorg!!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a stupid thing yesterday and dropped my tall rock structure and broke it. Bummer! So out comes the silicon sealant again and we will try to create a new one.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seahorses you putting in?

I plan to get H erectus as it seems they are good beginner seahorses, from what I read. I think I found a hobbyist who captive breeds them about 4 hours from me. I contacted them by email and am waiting to hear.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice I'm raising dwarf seahorses

Is it tough hatching and enriching bb daily? I raised baby clown fish once and hatched bb. I guess the bb wasn't too bad but keeping the live rotifer culture going was really tough.

chronosas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda switch off on foods I was able to get them to eat these flakes that are packed with nutrients and do bb but currently one out of 6 is pregnant

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda switch off on foods I was able to get them to eat these flakes that are packed with nutrients and do bb but currently one out of 6 is pregnant

Do they have babies a lot? I heard they were prolific.

chronosas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had them long enough to notice but I have heard they mate like crazy supposably after the male gives birth the female will transfer the eggs

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pony corral is clearing up and now I can see if the aquascape I envisioned is working. I'm pretty happy with it. I tested for ammonia and it was at .25ppm. I really wished it was more. Since I was feeding the LPS tank mysis tonight I decided to put a few in the seahorse tank to watch how the flow looked (I can also see if the ammonia goes up to determine how the cycle is going). I was really pleased with the flow and I will get more moderate flow near the bottom when I add the 2nd rio pump. Also the overflow and return will add more gentle flow in the top part of the tank. I think that will be just right for the seahorses because their hitching post will be in the slowest flow areas, near the middle of the tank.

Attachments

• 100_8804.jpg
    100_8804.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 689
  • 100_8807.jpg
    100_8807.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 686
  • 100_8808.jpg
    100_8808.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 698

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back