OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my basement into my fish storage area and dug out the glass top for my tank. I did not want to find King Midas on the floor this morning. I guess I'm going to think about making a screened top for my tank.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news: King Midas is eating and that is always step one to feel like a fish is adjusting. He not only is eating but is very animated about really wanting to eat.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
King Midas

Its not the greatest pic but at least you can kind of see that cute lil' face that I fell in love with!

Attachments

• 100_8314.jpg
    100_8314.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 143
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha he is so cute!! :) when I set up my cube tank I know what is going to go in it!

I definitely wasn't planning on another fish since I had 6 fish already, but he was so adorable. I did have 7 fish the whole first year of my tank and although its pushing the limits I know with my WC schedule I will be fine.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
King Midas has settled in quite well. He comes out for a leisurely swim. His name is perfect. He perches on one of the highest points and surveys his new kingdom or interacts with his tankmates. He's an awesome addition to the tank!

Attachments

• 100_8316.jpg
    100_8316.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_8319.jpg
    100_8319.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 136

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:O you got a blenny!! Cute little guy. I plan to get a lawnmower blenny hopefully soon. I love your tank so much! That DSB looks sick...Just out of curiosity what is your WC schedule? Curious about the frequency with an established DSB in place...

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:O you got a blenny!! Cute little guy. I plan to get a lawnmower blenny hopefully soon. I love your tank so much! That DSB looks sick...Just out of curiosity what is your WC schedule? Curious about the frequency with an established DSB in place...

Typically my WC schedule is 4-5g/week. Right now its a bit more, 4g 2Xs a week because I am feeding heavy to make sure all the new fish are getting lots of food. Gobies and blennies need fed more often since they have smaller stomachs so I like to fatten them up before I cut them down to just 1 meal a day. A lawnmower blenny is an excellent choice. I would get one if I wasn't already at capacity in my tank.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations on the new little addition! I have a midas blenny and it's a model citizen and always swimming and visible. Nice choice!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations on the new little addition! I have a midas blenny and it's a model citizen and always swimming and visible. Nice choice!

Thank you. I rarely buy anything on impulse but this midas blenny was just so adorable. My son had one years ago so I knew they are pretty cute. Does yours have a name?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night a very scary thing happened. We had some friends over that have small children, 2 different families so the kiddos got a little wild. I looked up just in time to see a little girl, (about 3years old) hanging off the front of my tank!!! The tank I think wobbled just a little (or maybe I imagined it expecting impending disaster) but it turned out OK. Whew, a huge sigh of relief.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:O!!! Sarah goes "WHOA"

I'm glad everything went well in the end. That bowfronts made of strong stuff!

Or we were just really lucky. I shudder to think of my tank crashing down on little Selah, both for her sake and my animals!!!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Sheriff and Curly que moved

This morning I got up and found out that the Sheriff and his Curly que anemone relocated. Now they face the front of the tank which is perfect for me to enjoy them. Nice of them to oblige me.:smile:

Attachments

• 100_8376.jpg
    100_8376.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_8374.jpg
    100_8374.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks so cool!!

I think so too Hawkfish. The supplier just included the anemone with the pistol shrimp for free. The curly que is a nice size now but I guess they can get large enough to eat small fish and shrimp so I want to be careful how much I feed it. They are related to aiptasia which is a little scary!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do the shrimp and the anemone benefit from each other?

From what I read they do have a symbiotic relationship but I haven't figured out the mutual benefits. I think I read the shrimp does feed the anemone and if this anemone can eat other types of shrimp and small fish I am wondering if the pistol shrimp gets protection from the anemone. From what I read pistol shrimp have poor eye sight which is why they like gobies, (the gobies alert them to potential danger by swishing their tails on the shrimp's antennae.). I am only guessing about protection from the anemone though.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back