Dawn's 36g Bowfront tank

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol a virtue indeed. A very ANNOYING virtue...

In the meantime, this may hold you over, or you make you more and more anxious lol. You may have already seen it. I hope you don't have any cleaner shrimp in your tank!

[video=youtube;eKPrGxB1Kzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc[/video]

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol a virtue indeed. A very ANNOYING virtue...

In the meantime, this may hold you over, or you make you more and more anxious lol. You may have already seen it. I hope you don't have any cleaner shrimp in your tank!

[video=youtube;eKPrGxB1Kzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc[/video]

Gasp!!! Yes, I do have a cleaner shrimp named Jacque and I definitely do not want that to be his fate. Poor Jacque, I guess its to the sump with him. But wait, Hermit the Horrible is down there and he is huge and so is Ruth the serpent starfish. I'm thinking maybe Jacque is safer in a 36g with the pistol shrimp rather than with Hermit and Ruth in a 10g sump. I just didn't think of them as being predator and prey.

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!!! Well I don't know hopefully that's just because there was nothing else to eat and not because they just get random cravings for juicy cleaner shrimp!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I take pics of the new guys, I will definitely make sure Hermit the Horrible and Ruth get represented. Actually Hermit didn't get banished to the sump for attacking tank mates. He's a regular coral wreaking ball! Every night he would bulldoze through my corals, even the ones that were epoxied. I had accused Ruth of eating Snorkel the yasha goby which is why she's in the sump. Of course turns out Snorkel went thrill seeking over the overflow so maybe I should reconsider her banishment? She was excellent for CUC.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I probably bought the goby 2 or so months ago. Then it disappeared a week or so after that. So she's been down there a month and a half...but her and her other 2 serpent star friends have been known to take out prior cleaner shrimp so she isn't totally innocent. I sold her serpent star friends to the LFS for credit and I'd done the same with her except she crawled into the last chamber of the sump where the pump is and got caught in it. She was pretty beat up but she healed and now I have a soft spot for her. I fixed the pump so no more animals accidently will find their way into the intake also. I guess if I move her into the DT she would be smart enough not to let an arm dangle near the pistol shrimp?..of course she wasn't smart enough to stay away from the pump intake!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, still no friends for in the tank. I guess they will come tomorrow for sure. The shipper said they should arrive today or tomorrow when we emailed. Everything is ready and waiting for them.

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear it! Are you QTing them first? If so for how long?

Poor poor Ruth! I have a few snails in my sump and they love to hang around the waterfall that goes into the return section of my sump. I always get nervous when they get near it so I had to mess with my pump as well. I got some of this black plastic material from the LFS (forgot what it's called) that I wrapped around the pump. Doesn't affect the water flow and stops anything other than water from going into the pump.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe QT is the wisest practice but I do not have a tank for that. There isn't as much risk with inverts as there is with fish. The inverts just don't seem to have as many parasites and such. I will drip acclimate them and then into my tank they'll go. I hope I am not sorry about the pistol shrimp. I was reading yesterday about a reefer who was tearing his whole tank apart to get his pistol shrimp out!!!!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the new guys doing? Can't wait to see them.

Well, the shrimp scuttled under the rock work and haven't seen him yet. I took a pic before I put him in the tank so I will post that tonight or tomorrow morn. The sea cucumber hasn't moved much since I put him in but he looks alright to me. I don't imagine they are super energetic. I'll post pics of him too.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see pics... Did he pair with the Goby? Do we have symbiosis??

I plan to post pics this morning. We don't seem to have symbiosis yet...I released the pistol shrimp on the same side of the tank that Snorkel, the goby hangs out but that is also the side that the rock work is more intricate. Lots of tunnels already, so lots of places to hide. Hopefully as he feels more secure he will reveal himself, at least at feeding time.. Maybe I need to give him a name so he feels like a valued member of the tank? I will have to ponder that awhile.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back