Don't be fooled...Please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it’s been a while since I’ve written a truly harsh post slamming something that I consider absurd in our hobby/industry. Okay, maybe it hasn’t been that long, but I am sufficiently motivated. In fact, I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, but I simply cannot help myself today.

I’ve had no less than four occasions this week that forced me to once again dredge up a prevailing theme and proffer up a warning to you, my fellow reefers, about a practice which is simply bad for the hobby, and, despite widespread criticism and near-universal condemnation, is still practiced in some hobby circles.

I call it “Photoshop Abuse.” It’s absurd. It’s unprofessional. It’s misleading. It’s dishonest. It’s unnecessary.

It has to stop.

You know what I’m referring to: Spectacularly over-saturated pictures of nice corals that are so over-the-top that you’re convinced that either you’ve scored the prettiest darned coral of the year, or that maybe, just maybe...someone has gone over the edge in hype and saturation. Yup.

I had three very good customers contact me about specific coral pieces that they saw on other vendors’ sites/forums, and wanted to see if we “could get one as nice as that.” One of my clients, a super collector, was kind of half-joking, as I believe he knows my hatred of the hyped up color, but the other three were quite serious; completely duped by photos that were, to the experienced eye, so far off from reality that it wasn’t even funny.

Well, it WAS funny, but not in a humorous way.

oversaturated.jpg

Something is definitely amiss here...

Obviously, I’m not going to name names or share the pics that I received. The perpetrators know who they are, I'm pretty sure. Even though I’m convinced the absurd pics were deliberately over saturated, I operate on the assumption that people are mostly good, and that there is a slight chance that the vendor(s) in question simply didn’t know how completely awfully over-saturated their pics were. It happens when you’re editing dozens of pics at a time. We’ve made a few boo boos before; we did catch them before publishing them, fortunately.

However, after showing these pics to several other more experienced coral guys than me, along with one of the best professional photographers in the world, who all shook their heads and even laughed, my more negative concerns were reinforced: The pics were deliberately over-saturated for one reason or another.

That reason, IMHO, is to simply make the coral “look better” to the (unwary) consumer. Yeah, believe it or not, almost three decades into the “modern” reef hobby era, and we still have tools (yeah, you heard me) who resort to Photoshop-enhanced hype to sell corals. And the sad thing is that there are still plenty of good people out there who fall for this stuff. And still plenty of vendors who shamelessly put out these absurd pics in the name of “commerce.”

So, in summary, stupidity and greed are two key factors in the perpetuation of this “practice.”

David_Leisure_Joe_Isuzu_Resized.jpg

"Trust me. I'm a legit coral vendor."

My advice- no, my REQUEST to those vendors who are practitioners of this absurdity: Just stop. Stop, because you a) Give our industry a bad name, b) Deliberately mislead a consumer to make a quick buck, c) Are convincing yourself that the consumer is stupid enough to believe anything that you’ll put up on your site or online forums.

Learn how to color up corals through legitimate means: Providing proper environmental conditions, nutrition, and stability. You’d be surprised to find that, if you actually take care of your newly-received corals, rather than take quick pics, oversaturate them in Photoshop, and ship the coral out two days after arrival- they’ll respond with REAL color and vigor and you won’t feel compelled to reinforce your lack of manhood (or girlhood, whatever) with abusive post-production.

Abuse of photo editing is hurtful not only to the consumer, it gives legitimate vendors a black eye. It’s not “marketing”, you idiots who do this. (Yes, you’re an idiot if you do this. Sorry) It damages confidence in consumers, who place their faith in a picture on a website and plunk down their hard earned cash in the hope that “What You See Is What You Get.” When it isn’t, it’s a very sad thing. In the online game, we have an easy, built-in excuse for why the coral doesn’t look as good as in the pic: “Oh, it didn’t travel well. Must have gotten stressed out in shipping.” Sure, that’s a quasi-legitimate excuse for many off-color corals.

As I’ve repeated previously ad naseum here, some corals do NOT ship well, and WILL be off color for a while after arrival in a new environment. This is a good explanation when you’re talking about a coral that arrives sort of brown or otherwise looking stressed. With good care, may will recover to their former splendor within a few weeks. However, it’s a completely useless excuse for a hyper-photoshopped coral which NEVER looked like its pic did, anyways.

UC1inch-uc-pink-millie-38-inventory-6.jpg

Healthy corals, even not overly-colorful ones, show a richness and vibrance that photo-editing could only dream of emulating.

Perhaps your first tip would be the excessively purple or blue rocks, egg crate, or substrate accompanying the coral in the pic; even the excessive marketing hype and clearly “sponsored” comments from “fans” should be a tip off. We receive plenty of calls from customers asking us under what type of light we shot the pic. This is a legitimate question, which can at least provide you with some gauge as to how the coral may look in your system. We are frequently told by hobbyists that they can’t believe how nice our corals look in person- better even, than on our website, when they pay a visit to our facility.

We’re not alone- there are plenty of vendors on this and other forums that have amazing corals WITHOUT the need to resort to “photoshop augmentation.”

For every hype-mongering moron vendor out there, we have dozens of hard-working, completely legitimate vendors who bring you amazing corals every day, with consistent quality and health that only come from practitioners of dedicated care of their livestock. Many of the best are right here on this forum. Support them vigorously. Give them real feedback so that they can continue to do great work, and improve where it’s needed. Your comments and suggestions have proven invaluable to our company, and have resulted in numerous improvements since we commenced operations.

Legitimate coral vendors do legitimate work, and don’t play games like this. They don’t need to.

Yet others still feel the need to resort to this sort of garbage. Why? I can only speculate. However, after seeing some of the offenders in person, they way they take care of their animals, the way they “market” (hah!) and the way they run their businesses, I can see why: They are simply making up for their inadequacies in other areas of their operation.

Rather than invest the time, money, and effort into developing systems and techniques for keeping corals healthy and beautiful, they choose to “turn and burn” corals with hype and photo-manipulation. I guess that’s their “business model.” The sad fact is that some of these “vendors” are the same ones charging absurd $$ amounts for fractions of an inch of these “hyped” corals. I guess that shouldn’t surprise me that absurdly non-sustainable business practices are utilized by people who practice absurdly stupid “marketing” and pricing practices as well.

Joan-Rivers-Plastic-Surgery.jpg

"What are you talking about, tootsie? I've had maybe one Botox injection in the past 25 years..."

So, without further beating a proverbial dead horse, my advice to you, Mr. or Ms. coral consumer, is to look critically at that pic, to compare the coral in question to other, more representative examples of it’s type, and make your decision based on the best information that you can gather- not the hype, sponsored comments in forums, and other garbage that accompanies a third-rate vendor’s feeble attempt to look “legit.”

Be aware. Be an alert consumer. Ask questions, look critically at the “big picture.” Consider the source, the forum “chatter”, and your knowledge of what the species typically looks like before pulling the trigger. If you have a doubt., hold. In the end, you need to be comfortable when you’re buying a piece of coral from thousands of miles away. It’s a relationship. A relationship with your vendor, built upon trust, confidence, and consistency. It’s about how your treated when something goes wrong, not just when you’re forking over the big bucks. It starts with an honest photo. Real corals and fishes, when provided with proper care, are plenty nice, believe me.

2012-07-15 03.50.19.jpg

"Photoshop ain't got NOTHING on me, fool!"

In summary, I'm not using this forum as a platform to bash "competitors", or beat my own chest. I'm using it as a sounding board to alert you to something that is harmful to the hobby. I'm not the self-appointed guardian of coral industry morality. I'm just a hobbyist, a consumer like you, who has been burned- and continues to see fellow reefers burned- by absurdly unethical practices, and I'll call 'em like I see 'em.

I'd love for those of you out there who have something to say about this practice to make your experiences- and opinions- heard. Keep it nice and no naming names...this is not the place for that. However, sharing experiences is important.

Stay sharp, keep the industry on its toes, support the truly legitimate, hardworking vendors on this forum and elsewhere, and demand the best from all of us.

And stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said Scott, hats off to you my Brother in arms. I too am a little outspoken on 'Calling Out' the 'Over Hypedand or Full of Themselves' Vendor/Manufacturers in this otherwise wonderful Hobby of ours. Also quite astonished that in today's age that there is still a gullible enough customer base to support them............

Cheers, Todd

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice that you addressed this on-going, unethical practice. One thing I'd like to point out is that a photoshopped coral pic is not always obvious, even to the experienced eye For example, I once saw a specimen on your website that caused me to do a double take since the frag plug looked highly over saturated. I had to blow the pic up to see that the plug was completely covered by a uniform deep purple coralline algae.

Due to the current trend of blue/purple actinic lit tanks, some vendors use this justification now in photographing their corals under this type of lighting. This does muddy the waters, especially for those who run tanks closer to 10-12K. Unfortunately, the vendor often doesn't disclose the type of lighting used for photography.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you for calling out the over edited bs people are passing off to less experienced people. I have developed a fairly good eye when it comes to this, and am rarely surprised when I receive a coral. What really sickens me is that hobbyists and vendors alike have tried to make this an acceptable practice in the industry. "coral may look different with different lighting conditions" this may be true, but that acro that's so bright red in the stock photo was brown when they took the picture, just as it was when it arrived. "the loss of coloration was due to shipping stress" give me a break! Is that why it was red in the picture and turned green in my tank 3 months later? Matter of fact, business in general is quite disturbing to me. It has become about how much you can stick it to everyone you can to make a few bucks!

Sorry if I went in a rant...lol

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had come up with a solution to this issue a while back, but thought a lot of vendors might not adopt it. The solution was to print and distribute a water proof swatch with a white square, and a couple other colors that are sensitive to photoshop saturation. Then ask that vendors include this swatch in the photos of their corals, and any potential customer could quickly ascertain the amount of saturation in the photo by looking at the color swatch.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had come up with a solution to this issue a while back, but thought a lot of vendors might not adopt it. The solution was to print and distribute a water proof swatch with a white square, and a couple other colors that are sensitive to photoshop saturation. Then ask that vendors include this swatch in the photos of their corals, and any potential customer could quickly ascertain the amount of saturation in the photo by looking at the color swatch.

They would just Photoshop that into the picture.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next thing they do to make a sale is to line up a few hot babes models next to the coral as in the car industry.
And some of us thinking if the Super Neon Pink ******* are real!!..............just saying.
The rule of thumb is that you can show only two picks, 1) under 20K and 2) under 14k, we all know what we dealing with.
Any other kelvin color schedule or no mention of a schedule at all must raise a red flag.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice that you addressed this on-going, unethical practice. One thing I'd like to point out is that a photoshopped coral pic is not always obvious, even to the experienced eye For example, I once saw a specimen on your website that caused me to do a double take since the frag plug looked highly over saturated. I had to blow the pic up to see that the plug was completely covered by a uniform deep purple coralline algae.

Due to the current trend of blue/purple actinic lit tanks, some vendors use this justification now in photographing their corals under this type of lighting. This does muddy the waters, especially for those who run tanks closer to 10-12K. Unfortunately, the vendor often doesn't disclose the type of lighting used for photography.

Excellent point, about the coralline growth! Like I said, question everything...from everyone. I think every vendor seems to be looking for some "edge", and many are hesitant to reveal things about their practices that they feel might be "proprietary" in nature...

colorfan45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty easy to tell who these vendors are, but they all seem to have hype people for all their corals so every time they post one people are like that is the coolest so and so ever. Anyone ever notice how all these high end collectors fade away after a few years or become vendors here. Maybe its just me.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you for calling out the over edited bs people are passing off to less experienced people. I have developed a fairly good eye when it comes to this, and am rarely surprised when I receive a coral. What really sickens me is that hobbyists and vendors alike have tried to make this an acceptable practice in the industry. "coral may look different with different lighting conditions" this may be true, but that acro that's so bright red in the stock photo was brown when they took the picture, just as it was when it arrived. "the loss of coloration was due to shipping stress" give me a break! Is that why it was red in the picture and turned green in my tank 3 months later? Matter of fact, business in general is quite disturbing to me. It has become about how much you can stick it to everyone you can to make a few bucks!

Sorry if I went in a rant...lol

No apology necessary..That's a very legitimate observation/opinion. As I pointed out, loss of color from "shipping stress" is one thing, and quite obvious...Over-saturated color is quite another...

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the big reason why I don't order online unless I trust the site..I like to see what I get in person..

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have any place local to buy corals so I purchased mine online. I've purchased from eBay, random online vendors, and even big name vendors on R2R. I have yet to get one that I thought was even close to the wysiwyg pics. It's to the point I don't even buy corals anymore. Anytime I see one online that I would love to have, I'm reminded of my disappointment and don't order. Once bitten twice shy. I work to hard for my money just to buy watery bags of disappointment.

paphioland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I'm not using this forum as a platform to bash "competitors", or beat my own chest. I'm using it as a sounding board to alert you to something that is harmful to the hobby. I'm not the self-appointed guardian of coral industry morality. I'm just a hobbyist, a consumer like you, who has been burned- and continues to see fellow reefers burned- by absurdly unethical practices, and I'll call 'em like I see 'em."

This is exactly what you are doing. I am going to tell you that while there are some small good points to your thread the overall substance is moronic. You frequently pontificate in these posts as if you are some great expert in corals and have seen tremendous volumes of the highest to the lowest quality corals but I suspect you haven't. I can tell by what and how you write.

First you rant about coral prices. This is supply and demand. You live in a country that supports a free market. Take that scoly that Mike sold recently. That is not a common piece and it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If you can produce a similar piece today you have an argument but you cant.The fact is that how often do you hear people post and say the corals look nothing like in the picture??????????? I'm sure it happens but it is not frequent. I prefer you man up and actually name the mystery companies you are disparaging so this can be a real conversation not just some cowardly warning of this insidious pervasive practice. Really bro name calling? You must be a real tough guy typing behind that keyboard. People who are not happy can send the coral back, post the complaint on this site, stop credit card payment if refund is not issued after return. You have no idea what conversation occurs between sellers and clients after the picture before the sale. Concerning the purple or blue color of substrate, lots of people run LEDs or actinics with purple. If you want to know the lighting ask. I personally run radions. I want to see what the coral will look like under my lighting setup. I know for a fact you dont hold all your corals back but I thought you-

"developing systems and techniques for keeping corals healthy and beautiful, they choose to “turn and burn”
Give me a break. I know where and which corals you get in on occasion. You do not hold all your coral for any significant amount of time before selling.

"We are frequently told by hobbyists that they can’t believe how nice our corals look in person- better even, than on our website, when they pay a visit to our facility."

I hear people say that about the vendors you are attacking on here all the time. If you dont like something tell the seller. If it is not resolved to your satisfaction dont buy again. Hey Scott, have you noticed that most of these buyers that you are basically insinuating are obtuse are repeat buyers? That must really drive you nuts. You seem like a very unsatisfied and angry individual.

You know the best photographer in the world. Sure you do. How do you rate that? Sounds like hype to me. Hype isnt hype if it is true. If someone continually deceived people how would they stay in business? Why dont you worry about yourself and stop insulting others without specific examples.

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said, I would also agree that the lighting plays a role now as well. When I first started in the hobby they didnt have such an extensive range of lighting choices, mutluple color LEDS, different T5 bulbs, which can now bring out colors in corals that really insnt there in the coral tissue. Its one thing to make a coral fluoresce, its quite another to have mutlple LEDS or that simply show colors that arent inherenint within the coral itself.

It also makes me wonder, why so many people still pruchases these corals and at such high prices. Is it inexpereince? Wanting the next big coral? I would think people would be more cautious, which always makes me wonder how much "hype" there is or "pumping and dumping"

With all the "hype" and high price purchases I always wonder how much of it is real. Are vendors hyping their own corals with fake posts? Are they making false sales saying a coral sold for a high price to create even more hype? I also wonder this now, not just with corals but with equipment and additives as well.

Whats to stop vendors from pretending to be hobbyists to pump up a coral or a piece of equipment? So they can sell it? I always wonder how often that happens.

Another problem I have is where are all these amazing corals in hobbyist tanks? I am guilty of wanting the new hot coral and I do take chances now and again, not as often as I used to, but there are so many corals that have been in the hobby for years and years now with these amazing release pictures and to this day I still never see any pics that come close to them in a hobbyist tank? I find that odd, when there are a number of corals out there that do show up after the hype, red dragon, strawberry shortcake, red planet, etc. all hyped corals that you can see in hobbyist tanks. I can name a lot, but I wont that I never see anywhere. I know growth can be an issue, but if a coral has been in the hobby for several years there should be some examples in private hands.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I'm not using this forum as a platform to bash "competitors", or beat my own chest. I'm using it as a sounding board to alert you to something that is harmful to the hobby. I'm not the self-appointed guardian of coral industry morality. I'm just a hobbyist, a consumer like you, who has been burned- and continues to see fellow reefers burned- by absurdly unethical practices, and I'll call 'em like I see 'em."

This is exactly what you are doing. I am going to tell you that while there are some small good points to your thread the overall substance is moronic. You frequently pontificate in these posts as if you are some great expert in corals and have seen tremendous volumes of the highest to the lowest quality corals but I suspect you haven't. I can tell by what and how you write.

First you rant about coral prices. This is supply and demand. You live in a country that supports a free market. Take that scoly that Mike sold recently. That is not a common piece and it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If you can produce a similar piece today you have an argument but you cant.The fact is that how often do you hear people post and say the corals look nothing like in the picture??????????? I'm sure it happens but it is not frequent. I prefer you man up and actually name the mystery companies you are disparaging so this can be a real conversation not just some cowardly warning of this insidious pervasive practice. Really bro name calling? You must be a real tough guy typing behind that keyboard. People who are not happy can send the coral back, post the complaint on this site, stop credit card payment if refund is not issued after return. You have no idea what conversation occurs between sellers and clients after the picture before the sale. Concerning the purple or blue color of substrate, lots of people run LEDs or actinics with purple. If you want to know the lighting ask. I personally run radions. I want to see what the coral will look like under my lighting setup. I know for a fact you dont hold all your corals back but I thought you-

"developing systems and techniques for keeping corals healthy and beautiful, they choose to “turn and burnâ€
Give me a break. I know where and which corals you get in on occasion. You do not hold all your coral for any significant amount of time before selling.

"We are frequently told by hobbyists that they can’t believe how nice our corals look in person- better even, than on our website, when they pay a visit to our facility."

I hear people say that about the vendors you are attacking on here all the time. If you dont like something tell the seller. If it is not resolved to your satisfaction dont buy again. Hey Scott, have you noticed that most of these buyers that you are basically insinuating are obtuse are repeat buyers? That must really drive you nuts. You seem like a very unsatisfied and angry individual.

You know the best photographer in the world. Sure you do. How do you rate that? Sounds like hype to me. Hype isnt hype if it is true. If someone continually deceived people how would they stay in business? Why dont you worry about yourself and stop insulting others without specific examples.

uploadfromtaptalk1398972374994.jpg

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two different opinions always make a good argument. Let the party begin... :popcorn:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back