Don't be fooled...Please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimbo,

I think the "fanboys" post on vendor threads because they get better deals when they hype up a particular coral. Which brings out the other unscrupulous issue of putting a huge price tag on a coral but then giving the buyer a discount like the vendor is doing them a favor. I also take issue with a vendor putting a high price tag on a coral as it is but then says they will charge even more money for it a few days later.

Why can't the price just be "the price"??????

Yeah, what is it with the "Fanboys"on some of these Vendor threads? It's getting so I don't know what is legitimate praise for a vendor and what is just people hyping a vendor for whatever reason. I don't think it's as clear as some think as to who are the photo shoppers and who are the Chop Shops out there.

I'm assuming some sponsors of this site fall into this category? I find myself guessing as to who you guys are talking about but I'm never 100% sure.....

Last edited:

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I also take issue with a vendor putting a high price tag on a coral as it is but then says they will charge even more money for it a few days later.

Why can't the price just be "the price"??????

I couldn't agree more!!!!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the nicest thing about the responses to this thread is that it brought out some discussion (on both sides, apparently) about an overall issue- for that matter- accompanying issues- that do draw the ire of many of us. In the end, it's not an "attack" as someone alluded to previously- it's a sweeping of the nasty dust bunnies out from under the rug, so that we can all look at an issue that affects the hobby and industry. If someone has opposing views, they are always welcome. However, to support a practice that is clearly detrimental to many seems to me to be- well, not logical...

Thanks for the input and discourse. If we've done nothing more than get people thinking and discussing this matter, then the post was successful. Again, it's not about "calling out" anyone in particular- it's about waking up the hobby to a practice that many find distasteful and deceptive, so that those who engage- or contemplate in engaging in- this behavior- will think twice. We all have strengths and weaknesses; no one is perfect. but we all have a responsibility to take care of this hobby that is bigger than any of us.

-Scott

nlipner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree, I have reef tanks, a nice camera, and photoshop/lightroom too so I know what BS looks like (but even I get tempted). I'll give you a little tip, if the frag plug is amazingly gorgeous with rich purples and greens, you probably are looking at something that will never look that gorgeous in your tank. I know this because my frag plugs just look like little cement disks with some crud on them, even with just the LED's on.

There should be a new term for the deceptive advertising like WYSIWYPS. IMHO, it's pernicious and abusers should be called out.

nlipner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think it is great to bring this subject up for discussion.

What I hate is going to events like MACNA, and various meets/swaps only to view frags under dim blue LEDs.

Went to both MACNA and RAP. Most of the vendors were happy to adjust the lights when asked and I asked quite a few.

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you are referring to? My 'well said' was direct to unique corals.

that wasnt referring to you.
i meant for unique corals not to point fingers because there are too many on this site. lol

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great thread.one of the main reason i dont buy corals online anymore is extreme photoshop.another thing i see is people using polarized glasses when they take pics which gives detail and color that the eye can not see.

This is pretty easy to tease out with just a phone call. Any reputable vendor, like Scott, will talk to you and give you answers.

If you think they are a chop shop, ask about their equipment, quarantine, grow out, etc, etc, etc. and it will be pretty evident what is going on. If you can see a big superglue mess on the frag plug of a red planet acro (or something that encrusts like a madman) you know it is freshly cut and was most likely chopped.

If you think they are seriously abusing the saturation slider in photoshop, talk to them about their lighting and the equipment they are using to take the photos. Hearing someone say "Oh, I took this under a 400w 20k Radium with some supplemental 460nm LEDs" and then the color in the photo looking more like a 12k light would give off or if the color in the photo looks like pure actinic, you can be pretty sure something is up. If the algae on the frag plug in the picture has better color than most of the coral in your tank - it means they ran out of room on the saturation slider...

I only order from a couple vendors online anymore, the main one being Unique, specifically because they answer the phone and will answer every single question I have. If they complain they are too busy to answer your questions when you are about to give them $500 for a huge order, it's probably a terrible idea to go through with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent points, jservedio...There are many reputable vendors out there right now, so it's really easy for a reefer to make good decisions as to who to deal with. As you point out, honesty and professionalism are just another part of the equation...a very important part, of course. Once you develop good rapport with a vendor or vendors, you can buy with greater confidence...a beautiful thing.

And Einna- IMHO, just because someone is not ready to buy "today" is no reason not to provide the same level of service that a customer receives...The reality is that an interested potential customer is every bit as valuable as an existing one, and in the end, deserves as much consideration and respect as anyone. I think that any reputable, professional vendor on this forum and elsewhere would agree...Those who don't should find another line of work that better suits their commitment level, IMHO.

-Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too, though I will be one of the first to admit that a lot of people are all talk and no buy. XD On the other hand, a customer who does not buy may tell another about "that great coral place out there with excellent customer service."

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back