Dosing cipro: Should I turn off my fleece filter roller?

InlandSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, long time watcher, first time poster.

I'm dosing cipro in my tank tonight. Do I need to turn off my fleece filter roller? I have a Red Sea Reefmat 500 instead of filter socks. Does the tank need to be unfiltered overnight while the dose is active?

I've read all about it here, and that's the one detail I can't find. I know the dose I need, will turn off the lights and UV, take the cup off the skimmer, remove carbon and media, all that. Just not sure about the filter roller.

For context: I've tried everything else for STN and BJD over the last 2-3 weeks and am still battling it. I've fragged and dipped as much as I can as soon as I spot a coral starting to struggle. I've done frequent water changes to bring some high phosphates back in line. I've dosed and tested my water daily to keep alk, mag, and calcium stable. I've cleaned the sand and moved things apart so they don't spread as easily to each other. I've still lost about half of my euphyllias, a huge birdsnest, a gorgeous lobo, and even a blue maxima clam. I had to brutally frag two huge, very established acros that are both just barely hanging on. My giant zoa garden is receding. I have a few other very large, rare corals and if this infection reaches them, I'm going to be absolutely heartbroken.

I'm exhausted and ready to try whatever I can.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ciprofloaxin previously with success but BJD is typically the result of some being significantly off in tank parameters which causes major coral stress reducing their immune systems and letting BJD to develop.

OP
OP
I

InlandSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ciprofloaxin previously with success but BJD is typically the result of some being significantly off in tank parameters which causes major coral stress reducing their immune systems and letting BJD to develop.
Yeah we went away for about 5 days and our autofeeder absolutely dumped food and our phosphates shot wayyyy up. Then our power went out for 3 days and even with our generator running for the tank, the temp was still hard to maintain (it's cold here.)

... it's been a brutal month.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we went away for about 5 days and our autofeeder absolutely dumped food and our phosphates shot wayyyy up. Then our power went out for 3 days and even with our generator running for the tank, the temp was still hard to maintain (it's cold here.)

... it's been a brutal month.
Very unfortunate, you need to dose it at night every other day for 6 days. So basically 3 doses over 6 days. Skimmer can stay on for 02. No chemical media. Scrubber is ok.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop dosing any carbon or amino acids until you get the bjd under control, as those also feed bad bacteria.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost power for a day recently, tank got down to 63f, all survived. Gonis, acros, montis, pectinia, fish, nems.
Welcome to r2r.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back