Dr. Foster and Smith warehouse and website closure.

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a huge DFS fan for many many years - but definitely noticed their quality and service go way down hill once Petco bought them. I strayed away from them in the past year or so as a result and I suspect many others did as well. Sorry to see this happen to what was once a really cool company.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was a huge DFS fan for many many years - but definitely noticed their quality and service go way down hill once Petco bought them. I strayed away from them in the past year or so as a result and I suspect many others did as well. Sorry to see this happen to what was once a really cool company.

I agree- crappy sales and noticeable difference. They replaced a lot of good product with DFS goods which did Not go over well

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to start building a tank. Is there anything on clearance that would be a recommended thing to grab?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is.
Nearly 300 people suddenly looking for a job in a town as small as Rhinelander wi.... no bueno. There aren't many jobs up there.

That being said, I sure hope I can still drive up there to get my DD orders ;)
Not that Wasau is that big either other than the electric plant what is up there? Just teasing. Whenever I drive through Wasau on the way to my real home in Hurley/ Ironwood ( my place of birth) then I know for sure I’m in North woods
And your right it’s a big loss of jobs

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to me news and that is Crazy. I buy a lot from them - Even my frozen foods exclusively. They are 4 hrs from me. Will have to pay attention to clearance specials !!!
Another failure of Petco.

I used to drive an hour each way to get my frozen foods but found that @premiumaquatics @Premiumaq carries LRS. I ordered up 5 or 6 packs, which arrived hard frozen and perfectly packaged. They even included a note informing me of the hazards of the dry ice.

Granted, it was only one order, but I'd recommend giving them a shot.

skihard1234Anth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just put a 25% coupon up on their site for all normal priced items EXTRA25

Not everything.
dd7eca0a40acbc0a90412b86aa937635.jpg

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra25 was just one day deal, rx coupon was just a bug and was already fixed

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see it go, but they were a rip off. Chewy.com has way better prices.
Ex: Current EFlux 2100 GPH Wavemaker which I bought from Chewy.
DFS; $118.96 Chewy; $78.88 Huge difference in price

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember going into my local Petco once and they had a Sun Conure in terrible shape and I tried calling the local animal control on them. That store should have never been able to stay in business. I’ve shopped on occasion Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus. Believe it. Menards has good prices on dog and cat food.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who would be interested in DD/LA? I am not sure a BRS or Marine Depot would want to take on something with that much risk. Maybe a BlueZooAquatics merger or a WWC expansion. A lot of these companies had a good Christmas I bet, so maybe someone is thinking about it.

Marine Depot did livestock for a minute and dropped it like a hot rock

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I buy salt and frozen food from them. I use to checkout Petsolutions and DRF&S for the best price for both items.
Now I'm wondering where to go.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. Noticeable difference once Petco took over. I haven't shopped on DFS in 16 months or so as a result. Too bad they're closing.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Aqueon glass tops off the site last year and the pricing was WAY lower than anywhere else. I felt at the time that something was up - clearing the shelves so to speak. Very sad. Hopefully some employees can find opportunities not too far way in Golden Valley, MN.

dulgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if petco will now invest more into LA’s aquaculture... possibly having more well trained staff maintaining fish and coral at local stores as well, all sourced from LA.... wishful thinking!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco prices for many products are at the level of Amazon... they do price match over the phone but you get routed to a call center in "another country," and they make you ship not pick up in store... I guess Petco selling DFS makes snse considering they are so aggressively lowering prices IME, for a lot of things. I'm not trying to shill for them, as they have a prety limited selection... just sharing that I wouldn't take this as a sign that Petco is going out of business, only taht they are continuing to cut costs... in order to compete with online businesses.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back