OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its been a while and I have run into a few pitfalls, but i guess you learn from your mistakes.

I had setup a biocube 14 as a QT tank and then found a biocube 29 so I figured I would keep the BC 14 for frags and the BC 29 for new fish. A buddy of mine brought some frags from coral con a few months ago before setting up the frag tank so I bought a few frag trees and put all the new frags in my display. Apparently at least one frag must have carried AEFW eggs or worms and he noticed them in his display. He came to take a look at my frags and a few of them had some as well. Having read many forums regarding these pests I panicked and pulled every acro i had and put them all into my small biocube with the plan to dip weekly while leaving the display acro free for 6-8 weeks. Im guessing my small cube couldnt handle the load and since I was on duty the following day came home to a crashed tank with major losses. I will from this day forth either QT whatever sps i purchase or learn to inspect for parasites combined with some bayer dip, but this will not happen to me again.

OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me update my thread with a few photos

My current QT tank with purple and powder blue tang still awaiting transfer to display tank
1.jpg

And the frag tank with the few remaining acros
2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also after reading DrThompson's post on automatic water change I was determined to setup something similar for my own tank. I saw the use of the stenner pump as well as the litermeter in use. Spoke with Dave about his experience with the stenner pump and initially decided to go this route. I found a used dual head stenner in great condition and jumped on it. After some more reading I decided to try out the new Neptune DOS instead and ordered one for black friday (which would not arrive until a few weeks ago). I think the stenner would have been fine but I am a gear junky and I really like the integration with the DOS and apex fusion. Now that the DOS is setup I will probably just resell the stenner pump.

I setup a 90 gal container to hold mixed salt water in the coat closet not to far from my tank. I ran an RO line to it with a float to fill it whenever it gets depleted. I plumbed a Mag pump to mix the water and circulate it daily ( powered by an EB4 through the apex ). Unfortunately I dont have room for 2 containers - therefore I must shut down the auto water change when the reservoir runs low - turn on the RO line - mix salt - then restart the awc system. I initially tried red sea salt which seemed to work well but am going to try HW marine mix Reefer salt (was on sale during Christmas time) next.
Here is a photo of the closet with the container and a few shelves i cut to fit around it.
3.jpg

And the DOS pump installed above the container
4.jpg

Seems to work well
Only a few hiccups - it took a long time to prime the lines to do a calibration test (it primes/manual doses at a slow speed)
And the fusion setup for water change has one pump run backwards to pull water out from sump so I had to reverse the lines on the second pump. One pump adds new water while the other draws it out and dumps it into my drain (similar to Dave's setup THANKS DAVE!). I will have to call neptune to ask how I am supposed to periodically run calibrate (its easy to run) with the line that pulls water out reversed. I may install a Y-Valve in the line to make calibration checks easier.

As for the tubing through the attic - i ran PEX line which is supposedly a oittle more durable than standard PE tubing. Next time I am in the attic I might take a photo to document the installation which I tied to the tops of my trusses for a clean unobstructed install. If you have seen my prior photos, you would see that I really love a clean organized installation when it comes to cables/wiring/tubing .

Thanks for checking in , I will try to post a bit more in the near future...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a short video of the neptune DOS operating at max speed. I have it changing about 1.4 gallons a day or so (10gals a week). Im guessing that if you spread the water change over several hours it might run slower and quieter, but I wanted it to run over a shorter period of a set time to keep an eye on it.

Its definately not quiet but not bothersome with the door of the closet shut. My salt container mixing pump runs during the same time.
http://youtu.be/kUUQTPC2Z94

OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally picked up my ATO container made by Evolution Aquatics and placed it into a decorative box just outside the cabinet. Also left room for my old GHL doser in case i decide to use it to dose supplements in addition to 2 Part.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also took the plunge and picked up a few Acros from Mike (at Fire Corals THANKS!), but from now on I will dip (bayer) and cut and replace the base/plug from anything i purchase.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added a trio of Ignitus anthias, a midas blenny, and a yellow assesor to my QT tank. They are all eating well, even sampling some small pellets.
13.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great man!

OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a line from R/O system to my ATO container. My idea was to install a solenoid valve inline (with a float valve for safety at ATO container) and program the Apex to open (provide power to) the solenoid once a week for a predetermined period of time to allow the container to auto fill. Would eliminate me having to manually fill it and yet keep a certain amount of security where if ATO or auto water change fails - the most R/O water that would be dumped in the sump would be 10gals.

It works (still have to fine tune the amount of time to fill 7gals per week) but I don't like that the solenoid valve gets very hot. I was told this is normal, but the fireman in me isn't pleased. I will manually operate the solenoid for now.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaffor

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Im honestly not 100% satisfied
I want to re-do the plumbing with some red pvc and design a nice dispenser for dosing tubes

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back