Emergency: Leaking 300g FOWLR tank

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Luckily I'm home and caught this somewhat early on. Just noticed a decent amount of water on my floor and traced it back to a corner of the tank where it is slowly pooling up from below. It seems likely that there is a small fracture on the bottom/inside/corner of the tank - I can't actually see what is going on just where the water is coming out of.

Anyway, I am not equipped to handle this (i do not have a large enough tank to evac the livestock). I am posting to ask if anyone can speak to a similar emergency and if you can recommend a company to help.

thanks in advance!
danny

OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The location of the leak has been identified. The water is coming out a little quicker now, and i found it about halfway up the tank in the corner. It is hard to see because of the focus, but circled here.
IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buckets and bins and whatever containers you have to save your livestock.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a local reefing forum, I would reach out ASAP and see what supplies/support you can get.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime, start draining the tank to below the leak point and it may buy you some time.

ladders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cell and would add if you have a good connection with your LFS I would give them a call.

OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anxiety is running and I'm kind of all over the place right now, but I put some "reef glue" on the outside and inside in that spot, and it seems to be holding for now. I don't see any wet coming out.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not local but I did have a tank leak before on me. Drain it asap and get all the fish and rocks into large bins or even buckets. If you don’t have any which I assume you do go to the store and get some. Save the rock and sand in a separate container and keep it wet. You could also move fish to the sump if you have one. And create a siphon outside or to a sink drain to drain the rest of the water until you can get a new tank. Your priority should be saving the fish and your floors.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back